Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Season 3: Episode 1*HAVE read the books/spoilers*

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

I also am curious to how they will handle Shae. If her demise is more unwarranted it may to highlight the bitter, angry man Tyrion becomes in SoS.
    Maybe, given Tywin's threat in his conversation with Tyrion, and the way producers are changing her storyline, Tywin kills her, adding another reason for Tyrion to kill him. So she'd still be a likeable character, victim to evil Tywin. But still too early to speculate about her
    Seridisand wrote: »
    No one else have an issue with them sailing to Astapor, but not on the ships belonging to Magister Illyrion Mopatis? It leaves a big hole in the script with the spiders involvement
    Aegon
    Yeah, I was thinking the same.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Gbear wrote: »
    But why wouldn't he mention it earlier?

There was an obvious reason why not to in the book - he'd reveal himself - but now he's her queensguard and not mentioning it is pretty bad from a "doing his duty" point of view.

True, but it's much to soon in the story for that to happen to ser Jorah. They'll just go the route of Selmy not having an issue with it until the two men fall out I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭KonFusion

No Strong Belwas? :( (don't they meet on the pier/market when Whitebeard prevents Daenerys assassination by killing the manticore?)

Considering they've scrapped the Whitebeard plot, I presume it means no Strong Belwas.
    Does that mean no Illyrio, as he sent them to find her?

What was the deal with Rob being in Harrenhal? I don't remember that.

Also no mention of Mance's wife? Presumably she'll come into it at some point, if not that leaves out the whole
    swapping the babies

Not really all that satisfied with how they're taking the show in relation to the books. I understand they have to leave out some bits, but I would have preferred if they'd just have more episodes. Belwas was one of my favourite characters from the later books.

And they left out the bit about the unsullied killing the puppies & being eunuchs, which to me were key.

Edit: And Tyrions wounds! Barely a flipping scar. He was supposed to be dysfigured which is a huge aspect of his character development. Bah!

They more I think about it, the more I disliked that episode :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

The bit about the unsullied being eunuchs was left in: "wait til she hears we cut off their balls"

Belwas, while a cool character, is an easy cut when trying to make the series fit a TV budget tbh. He does little to advance the story and is really just a colourful follower of Dany's. Illyrio was in Series 1 and has too important a role to play to be left out. I suspect we may hear that he helped Barristan get to Astapor in next weeks episode.

We've only just met Mance too so I think we can give them some time to introduce Dalla.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

KonFusion wrote: »
    And they left out the bit about the unsullied killing the puppies & being eunuchs, which to me were key.

Didn't they say they take a slave baby and kill it in front of its mother in the show?

My book memory is hazy at this stage but perhaps that was the replacement for the puppies (and arguably an even grittier and more cruel task).

Happy to be corrected though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Sugar Free wrote: »
    Didn't they say they take a slave baby and kill it in front of its mother in the show?

My book memory is hazy at this stage but perhaps that was the replacement for the puppies (and arguably an even grittier and more cruel task).

Happy to be corrected though.

I think that they did both in the books.

Gbear wrote: »
    I think that they did both in the books.

Ya I think so from what I recall. Didn't they keep the puppy for a while too before doing it? No Marley and Me prospects with the Unsullied

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

No Strong Belwas? :( (don't they meet on the pier/market when Whitebeard prevents Daenerys assassination by killing the manticore?)

Considering they've scrapped the Whitebeard plot, I presume it means no Strong Belwas.
    Does that mean no Illyrio, as he sent them to find her?

What was the deal with Rob being in Harrenhal? I don't remember that.

Also no mention of Mance's wife? Presumably she'll come into it at some point, if not that leaves out the whole
    swapping the babies

Not really all that satisfied with how they're taking the show in relation to the books. I understand they have to leave out some bits, but I would have preferred if they'd just have more episodes. Belwas was one of my favourite characters from the later books.

Edit: And Tyrions wounds! Barely a flipping scar. He was supposed to be dysfigured which is a huge aspect of his character development. Bah!

They more I think about it, the more I disliked that episode :pac:

Tyrion is also grotesquely ugly in the books, there was no question that that they would tone down the scar too.

Ya I think so from what I recall. Didn't they keep the puppy for a while too before doing it? No Marley and Me prospects with the Unsullied
    They're given the puppy the day they're cut and made raise it for a year. Presumably young boys who've just been through such trauma would develop incredibly close bonds to the animals over that year.

Absolutely barbaric stuff from a psychological point of view, and in a world where life is so cheap (and slavery the norm in Esteros) it could be even more traumatic than killing a baby one had met mere minutes before.

I can think of only one movie where a dog gets killed (Rob Roy), oddly enough we tend to be less squeamish about human deaths in TV/Movies than that of dogs so I can understand why they cut that particular detail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Bookworm85

Only just got the chance to watch last night's episode.

I think it's off to a good start. I'm delighted to see Baristan Selmy back already :) He's one of my favourite characters. I was a bit miffed that they didn't do anything with the white walkers at the Fist, but I'll get over it. Have had a look on YT and theres a scene up from next week's episode with Jamie & Brienne and it looks good.... it might be me but I certainly picked up a bit of **tension** between them ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Dubhlinner

I'm not sure about the Selmy reveal. In the book it was great because he was an old man and him using the staff to beat the bejaysis out of an assassin was so unexpected.

I think they could have done it that the audience knew but because Jorah had been exiled for so long didn't recognise him.
    I was hoping they might find a way to bring the Dornish into it early because they've really made f*ck all reference for the Martell's animosity to the Lannisters and Oberryn Vs the Mountain was my favorite scene in the books. Although its likely not gonna be til season 4 I would have expected some light ground work by now

Oberyn Martell
    better be cast as an absolute badass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

:

Mention is made that the unsullied are eunuchs, the slave owner says "doesn't that Westerosi whore know we've cut their balls off?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

I don't think they made any reference to Dany being able to understand what the slave trader was saying.
    If you hadn't read the books then I think it's a point of detail that would be easily missed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Yeah, fair point, but the viewer should be aware.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

I don't think they made any reference to Dany being able to understand what the slave trader was saying.
    If you hadn't read the books then I think it's a point of detail that would be easily missed.

she reacted subtly a few times to what he was saying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭KonFusion

Snorted wine out my nose at "Tell the old man he smells of piss" :pac:

Very good recap of the episode done through Facebook: http://www.happyplace.com/22775/game-of-thrones-facebook-recap-season-3-episode-1

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Dubhlinner

They may be saving that for the bit when she buys the unsullied

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

Sleepy wrote: »
    Very good recap of the episode done through Facebook: http://www.happyplace.com/22775/game-of-thrones-facebook-recap-season-3-episode-1

:D That's brilliant!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Dubhlinner wrote: »
    They may be saving that for the bit when she buys the unsullied

Yeah I agree. There are things that make more sense onscreen, its a bigger "reveal" for the viewers not to know until the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭KJY

Yeah if Dany spoke High Valyrian as she commanded the Unsullied to attack, that would be pretty bad ass. I'm sure she'll take an episode break on Ep 2 or 3 making the assault Ep 4. Very optimistic about her arc I must say. Can't wait for the tensions between Jorah and Barristan

I'm liking the prospect of what people are saying of Barristan doing the 1v1 instead of Strong Belwas as it makes sense for the tv viewers. Although I share the opinion of most of you that it's a pity Strong Belwas isn't going to be in the show as he's a good character in the books.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

KJY wrote: »
    Yeah if Dany spoke High Valyrian as she commanded the Unsullied to attack, that would be pretty bad ass. I'm sure she'll take an episode break on Ep 2 or 3 making the assault Ep 4. Very optimistic about her arc I must say. Can't wait for the tensions between Jorah and Barristan

They could find a way of letting viewers know like her talking to Jorah about it or something. It's quite good in the book that we know she understands what's been said.

Speaking of, I'm a bit dissapointed that Missandei is so old. One of my favourite things about her is her maturity for someone so young. The TV one is hot though, so there's that.

Nice to have the show back but some of the unneccesary changes are annoying such as the above, Jon's reason for turning and of course Sam and the ravens. Hopefully they're part of some future plot device because it makes no sense to change them for no reason. Might start rereading SOS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

Which one is Missandei again? The translator?

Newaglish wrote: »
    Yep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Scuba Ste wrote: »
    They could find a way of letting viewers know like her talking to Jorah about it or something. It's quite good in the book that we know she understands what's been said.

Speaking of, I'm a bit dissapointed that Missandei is so old. One of my favourite things about her is her maturity for someone so young. The TV one is hot though, so there's that.

Nice to have the show back but some of the unneccesary changes are annoying such as the above, Jon's reason for turning and of course Sam and the ravens. Hopefully they're part of some future plot device because it makes no sense to change them for no reason. Might start rereading SOS.

What do you mean about Missandei being so old? The actress looks like a teenager!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

What do you mean about Missandei being so old? The actress looks like a teenager!

She's supposed to be a child in the books, though it's consistent with most characters who seem to look older than the book characters e.g. Robb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Sugar Free wrote: »
    She's supposed to be a child in the books, though it's consistent with most characters who seem to look older than the book characters e.g. Robb.

I couldn't remember if her age had been mentioned in the book, although for some reason I had around 15/16 in my head. But I'm just after realising that doesn't make sense, because for Daenarys to call her a child, she'd have to be younger than her. So yeah, it's another case of the character being older in the TV series.

Definitely not a child anyway...

tumblr_mkmubxJKEt1qaa8d1o1_500.gif

*cough* :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Newaglish wrote: »
    Purely for, ehh...research purposes, I googled her for you.
    http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BNTE5OTI0OTA0OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODczOTAzOQ@@._V1._SX640_SY960_.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

She's 24 I think, far older than the kid in the book. The book character is more similar in age to Bran or Arya than Dany.

I'd say they're trying to fit more eye candy in but it takes away from her character imo. It also changes the dynamic between her and Dany.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Scuba Ste wrote: »
    She's 24 I think, far older than the kid in the book. The book character is more similar in age to Bran or Arya than Dany.

I'd say they're trying to fit more eye candy in but it takes away from her character imo. It also changes the dynamic between her and Dany.

Irri is alive in the books so maybe they made Missandei older so she can take on some of that role and 'comfort' the Khaleesi :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Irri is alive in the books so maybe they made Missandei older so she can take on some of that role and 'comfort' the Khaleesi :-)

It is also probably easier to work with and hire professional adult actors rather than adding more kids. No hazard either that she'll sprout up between a season Harry Potter style.

Also Missandei and Dany.........Nice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

Firstly, I have been waiting to post in one of these threads for ages! I didn't know there was a GoT board until after season 2 had aired.

I'm not sure if the episode felt kind of slow or I was just in a bad mood. It took me about 10 minutes to get into the episode.

I can see why the cut out the battle at the Fist but I can't see how Sam escaped from the White Walkers. I don't think they ever found the dragon glass and the old horn. Plus they cut out the first moment that I liked Sam in. When he stops being a coward and mainly does the right thing. As far as I remember, he gets the first letter off saying that they were attacked but not the ones saying that they were fleeing. But he just looked like stupid, cowardly Samwell. And I don't like that Ghost wasn't with Jon.
    Speaking of, I still hate how uniform the wildlings look. They're meant to be wild and mismatched, not in neat tents and similar outfits. I can see why they changed Jon's story since maybe they didn't want to give away that people can frequently slip over the wall because it's so poorly manned.

I loved Dani and the Dorthraki on the ship. I thought the dragon was really well done. Was there much of that in the book? I can remember them being on a ship but not much. I thought the exchange between Dani, Missandei and the owner of the Unsullied was good but nowhere near as funny as in the book. The assassination attempt was weird. I'm not sure what I thought of them using a little kid (spoilers for AFFC & ADWD)
    given what will happen to Arya eventually. Were they trying to foreshadow or do the warlocks also train children?

Why was Robb in Harrenhal? Qyburn being alive was unexpected but (season 3/4 spoilers)
    since they're cutting out Vargo Hoat
    Obviously there will have to be rejigging. I just wonder how that will match up. Are they making Westeros seem smaller than it actually is since Robb has a good bit to travel now.

I can't wait to see Brienne & Jamie and see how Arya is getting on.

I also liked the new intro and seeing how much the actors names have been switched up. Is it just me or did they leave King's Landing off the map?

Aoifums wrote: »
    Firstly, I have been waiting to post in one of these threads for ages! I didn't know there was a GoT board until after season 2 had aired.

I'm not sure if the episode felt kind of slow or I was just in a bad mood. It took me about 10 minutes to get into the episode.

I can see why the cut out the battle at the Fist but I can't see how Sam escaped from the White Walkers. I don't think they ever found the dragon glass and the old horn. Plus they cut out the first moment that I liked Sam in. When he stops being a coward and mainly does the right thing. As far as I remember, he gets the first letter off saying that they were attacked but not the ones saying that they were fleeing. But he just looked like stupid, cowardly Samwell. And I don't like that Ghost wasn't with Jon.
    Speaking of, I still hate how uniform the wildlings look. They're meant to be wild and mismatched, not in neat tents and similar outfits. I can see why they changed Jon's story since maybe they didn't want to give away that people can frequently slip over the wall because it's so poorly manned.

I loved Dani and the Dorthraki on the ship. I thought the dragon was really well done. Was there much of that in the book? I can remember them being on a ship but not much. I thought the exchange between Dani, Missandei and the owner of the Unsullied was good but nowhere near as funny as in the book. The assassination attempt was weird. I'm not sure what I thought of them using a little kid (spoilers for AFFC & ADWD)
    given what will happen to Arya eventually. Were they trying to foreshadow or do the warlocks also train children?

Why was Robb in Harrenhal? Qyburn being alive was unexpected but (season 3/4 spoilers)
    Obviously there will have to be rejigging. I just wonder how that will match up. Are they making Westeros seem smaller than it actually is since Robb has a good bit to travel now.

I can't wait to see Brienne & Jamie and see how Arya is getting on.

I also liked the new intro and seeing how much the actors names have been switched up. Is it just me or did they leave King's Landing off the map?

Sam and grenn found the dragon glass last season for sure so I'm sure it will pop up again.

Re the intro, pretty sure kings landing was in it but the intro actually changes every single episode depending on what locations/characters are featuring that week. Thought it was a nice touch to have winterfell burning.

What? So who's
    chopping off Jamie's hand?
    Bolton?

Barna77 wrote: »
    What? So who's
    chopping off Jamie's hand?
    Bolton?

I presume its going to be the new character played by Noah Taylor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

The assassination attempt was weird. I'm not sure what I thought of them using a little kid
    I assumed it wasn't an actual child, rather a warlock from Qarth disguised. Note the distinctive blue mouth before it disappeared.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I presume its going to be the new character played by Noah Taylor.

Yeah. From what I read he's playing a new character called Locke who replaces Vargo Hoat.

• Advertisement

Yeah. From what I read he's playing a new character called Locke who replaces Vargo Hoat.

But without the lisp :(
    Noah Taylor is generally a good actor so looking forward to a good performance by him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

I assumed it wasn't an actual child, rather a warlock from Qarth disguised. Note the distinctive blue mouth before it disappeared.

Which they haven't done before.
    I tend to think of the Faceless Men as soon as disguise in mentioned in aSoIaF
    But without the lisp :(
    Noah Taylor is generally a good actor so looking forward to a good performance by him.

I know. My first reaction to hearing that was "What?! That'th ridiculouth!" :p

I know. My first reaction to hearing that was "What?! That'th ridiculouth!" :p

:D

Advertisement