Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bones - how often?

• 01-04-2013 11:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm just looking for small bit of advice. My dog (lab X GSD) is about 10 months old, I'm just wondering how often can I give him a bone to be chewing on?Is there a limit to what you should give them or is it just balanced with their daily food intake?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭juniord

10% of the daily diet in raw bones should be fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

As juniord said, 10% is about right. Mine get raw chicken bones most mornings for breakfast - either legs/thighs or a carcass stuffed with tripe (major delicacy for them!). I give them a big beef bone every month or so but that's more of a treat than part of their meals. Too much bone can make them constipated so keep an eye out for that. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,120 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

We have an older dog so we usually don't give bones for fear of causing damage to his mouth or inside. Having said that, raw bones are less dangerous then cooked ones.
    We only ever gave him bones when we was younger as a treat a few times a week so can't answer but just be careful there are no sharp edges or pieces he can break off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭natnifnolnacs

Thanks for the advice so far. My main problem is, how do you measure it?! He gets fed good quality dry food, roughly 500 grams a day.

He will get through a full vacuum packed ham bone (the ones you can buy in the supermarket) in about 30 mins. Completely demolished. If I was to weigh the bone, it would probably be the same weight as his daily food intake.

I guess maybe I should rephrase my question a bit.

Can I give him one of those bones each day? Twice a week? Once a week? On top of his normal food intake.

Advertisement