Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When to have christening

Options
  • 01-04-2013 11:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭

Hi, just wondering what's the time frame generally on when to have baby's christening. Is 5 months too old? What's the norm?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

houseplant wrote: »
    Hi, just wondering what's the time frame generally on when to have baby's christening. Is 5 months too old? What's the norm?

Ever since limbo was gotten rid of there's technically no rush. Still some people think that its improper to leave too long. I think 5 months is still very early but I don't go to mass or take the church too seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Wils110

Rule o thumb 3-5 months is generally what you would see and any christening I've being at is that age not to say a few older and younger ones to though each to their own

There is a move among my close and general circle of friends to give it a miss altogether. It is something they can do for themselves later in life if they want it. After all you would not petition anyone to get a baby or toddler a vote - which you would then presume to cast for them. Similarly people I know now generally feel that there is no reason to steam roll them into any religion or other either. Rather - live your own and let them choose theirs (or none) when the time comes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Our 2 were 9 months and my niece was a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

There is a move among my close and general circle of friends to give it a miss altogether. It is something they can do for themselves later in life if they want it. After all you would not petition anyone to get a baby or toddler a vote - which you would then presume to cast for them. Similarly people I know now generally feel that there is no reason to steam roll them into any religion or other either. Rather - live your own and let them choose theirs (or none) when the time comes.

In other words tight for cash

• Advertisement

Weathering wrote: »

Entirely unsure what cash has to do with it - nor does it appear to play a part in the decision process I outlined above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

I think the earlier the better, simply because they sleep more when they are younger so it is easy to mind them in the church.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Ours was 4 months. I've been at christenings from 1 month old up to about a year old.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

We're having naming ceremony in a few weeks time and he'll be 8 1/2 months. The thoughts of organising it when he was a few months old just blows my mind, I wouldn't have been able for it!

We're doing ceremony at a hotel and then back to mil's house for grub and cake.

It is true though that the younger they are, the more likely you can keep the quiet/happy at the venue. I'm slightly dreading he'll be due a nap/teething/making strange for our ceremony

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

My step-son was christened at 3 years old (his Dad keeping his mother happy and my o/h went along with it to keep the peace and because it doesn't bother her), my daughter won't be christened unless she chooses to be after the age of 18.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

My son was 8. Years, not months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Icepick

never

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

My son was 5 months and a few people thought it was a bit late. I would agree the younger they are the better, they probably sleep more, my guy did not appreciate cold water on his head. Will probably do it earlier with this one if we can.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

whenever YOU want....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

3 months seems to be the usual amongst people I know. My wee man was 5 months as we waited for my brother to come home from abroad, but my second was christened at 3 months - they're easier to manage at that age as they sleep through most of the ceremony, the feeding schedule has calmed down and mammy feels like enough of a human being again to put on a frock that fits and have a nice day with family and friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

This post is proving that is's really a matter of preference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Weathering wrote: »

That's completely uncalled for and a completely inaccurate interpretation of the previous post. Just because you've been sanctioned on other forums doesn't mean you can bring your trolling here. Next post like this will result in your Parenting forum privileges being revoked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Icepick wrote: »
    never

This also is unnecessary. The OP isn't asking if his/her child should be christened - just what age is appropriate. I get that you're an atheist - so am I. My kids are 9 years old and haven't felt the touch of holy water.

I also get that one word or one phrase quips are your specialty.

However, the thread has a topic so please keep to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

The only information I can add is most gowns are available from newborn to size 12-18 months and are really small fitting!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭emuhead

Hi OP

I don't have children but my friends and relatives' children were christened 2-6 months (Catholic). A work colleague went with a naming ceremony with Unitarians and I think her little girl was almost 3 years.

Best of luck :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭0ctober

We had our daughter christened when she was 2 months. Had a few raised eyebrows and "oh that's very soon" comments, really I don't know why, I would have always been of the opinion that it's whenever the parents want it to be. I'm glad we did it when we did as she's 8 months now and it would be a lot harder now as she's making strange and a lot louder than she was at that age and also hates sitting in your arms for very long! Really it's up to you, whatever you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭hollster2

ours were christened at 8 months 5months and our second was 18 months he walked up was adorable in his suit it doesnt matter what age they get it done at 5months is grand all you worry is about is celebrating your child and having a great day!

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭elaney

Its very common where I live in a rural community to christen them after a month my two were 2 months and some family members were saying that it was too late :rolleyes:. I found it great they both slept through the ceremony and the dinner we had after. You should do whatever suits you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

My suggestion would be; "Whenever the child is old enough to choose for themselves".
    I thinks it's unfair that a child should be indoctrinated into any religion. Religious beliefs are something that should be chosen, not forced upon you.

But to more directly answer your question; if you are going to do it, I don't think the babies age is a factor.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Ours was 6 months. The priest mentioned that he was a lot more agile than the babies he was used to, pushing his hand away and wiggling out of my arms, so in hindsight a couple of months earlier would have been easier to manage, but we picked the date because of family coming home from overseas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

A Christening, whilst primarily a religious ceremony, is also a naming, and welcoming ceremony, so I would say anything after 12 months is leaving it a bit late. The un 'pc' answer, and how I timed mine.....as soon as the mother can fit into 'that' dress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

3-6 months seems to be the norm from what I can see but should just be whatever you feel is best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

My daughter was just under a month old. It was St. Patricks weekend, my family were all coming home for the bank holiday and the date was free in the church (the day before St. Patricks day) so I just went with it.
    It was a small christening, we went out for lunch, immediate family only. My sister bought the cake, we had a christening gown.
    There was little to no fuss, we went to usual Sunday mass and then afterwards had a little christening ceremony, out to lunch and for a couple of drinks (baby went home with granny) and then home to bed relatively early.
    It was a nice day and I have fond memories of it although baby basically slept all day :D

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭LoopyLolly88

Both my children were christened at 2 months old,due my 3rd in august so will more than likely get him christened about end of october x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Just had ours and little fella is 8.5 mths. He was good as gold for the ceremony and stared at our friend doing the "sermon/ceremony" and occasionally made comical faces.

He was hard to get down for a nap (we had it all at mil's house) as there was so much going on but other than that he was in great form and I don't know how many people were holding him that day.

So it can work at an older age just fine, but I think if I go again I'll do it when they are younger as easier to manage but also it welcomes them and names them etc so I'd like to have that celebration earlier

Advertisement