Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need some consumer help. Faulty windscreen

Options
  • 02-04-2013 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi Guys I need help with a consumer issue.

I had the rear windscreen replaced last week by the glass company my insurance recommended, which was all great until the other day when the new one shattered for no reason while parked in my parents garden. No one touched it and nothing was against it. I was sure it was to do with been faulty or something.

So I call my insurance company and the glass company and the send out a technician from said glass company to see why it shattered, he took some photo with a camera that look to be from the mid nineties, low res etc.

My insurance company called me today to say that I will have to pay for this myself because it is not the glass company's fault. She said that if it happened within 24hr then they would have had to replace it but since it was a week I have to pay.
    Now they glass company said that the will have a new screen tomorrow for me but I will have to pay for it and a courier fee also.
    I need the car back asap because I have already been late for work because I am unfamiliar with public transport and already have spent a bit on taxis.

Maybe someone here can help me resolve this..thanks in advance.

I have also attached some images of the damage to show that it wasn't touched the glass seems to come out from the inside.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 redstarmark

Also guys if this needs to be moved, could you because I wasn't sure if this was the right place. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

How did the first one break?

Hey the first one was broke by someone in Dublin...kids smashed a load of windows in the one estate. This time the car was parked down the country in my parents garden.

Seems very odd that it broke unless something hit it. Faulty, or not, the insurance should cover it. Does your policy say you are limited to one claim, or something? If not, make them pay up.

Thanks, I should have said that it was my second claim in the year so I had no more "free" ones. My argument was that the windscreen should have been replaced it because it was within 30 days and not fit for purpose etc. I'm sending in a small claim anyways because I feel a bit cheated. Any reasonable thing person would be upset if it happened to them I would think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Wouldn't this come under your statutory rights as a consumer and the SOGASS act ? If it was a TV or Dishwasher you'd be covered, why not a windscreen ? Surely it's irrelevant who paid for it (ultimately you via your insurance I would think ?).

Ken

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Maybe show that 2nd photo to another glass repair place. Get their opinion. I know nothing about how glass breaks but that pattern in the 2nd photo looks kinda odd.

I think it is the fact that I can't actually prove that nothing happened to it. I will get a second opinion, I have more picture also. Thanks.
    Its a joke I told the insurance company that I will be changing and they didn't give a crap!
    I'll get the second opinion and put in the claim and see what happens

The only thing I see out of place is the seal does not seem to be sitting right on the right side of the glass. I can't see this causing a problem though unless the glass broke when closing the boot and caused a vibration to bust the glass. Maybe those kids followed you from Dublin and did another number on your window.

Really is odd looking pattern.

The car was in the garden for at least two hours untouched. Its nuts really...the glass only fell out when I opened the car door to get my policy no.

• Advertisement

I told the insurance company that I will be changing and they didn't give a crap!

They wouldn't care, especially since you've already claimed twice during your term a you want to claim again.

I didn't want to claim again..I wanted them to support the fact that the week old rear window shouldn't shatter like that and that it should have been replaced by the company that replaced it in the first place.
    I dont know, maybe I should just forget and stop moaning

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Mech1

Same type of thing happened in my partners 01 Micra.

We had just driven Dublin to Belfast, I hadent noticed but rear heated screen was on all the way. 30 seconds after we parked in a very cold -4 or -5c area the rear screen exploded.

No joy from the insurance. and it was the original screen that failed.

Advertisement