Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank draft.

Options
  • 02-04-2013 12:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭

Can I cash a bank draft, or must I lodge it in a bank acc. ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

aujopimur wrote: »
    Can I cash a bank draft, or must I lodge it in a bank acc. ?

Depends if it crossed or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

If crossed "Account Payee Only", then no. If its crossed with anything else its possible but it would be down to the teller on the day etc. Chances are you will have to lodge it. Plus it can only be cashed at the issuing branch as stated on the draft.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

.It has "Not Negotiable" printed between two lines on the top, is this considered as crossed ?.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

aujopimur wrote: »
    .It has "Not Negotiable" printed between two lines on the top, is this considered as crossed ?.
    Yes.

Banks will deal with crossed cheques by accepting them for lodgement, but not necessarily to an account in the payee's name. You could endorse a crossed cheque and use it with a retailer, who can then lodge it with the day's takings.

The words "not negotiable" remove some protection from a person who accepts a cheque from you, so businesses would be particularly careful about accepting such a cheque.

In short, the most convenient thing is to lodge the cheque.

[Edit: I forgot you are talking about a bank draft; it doesn't change my answer, because a bank draft is actually a cheque.]

Advertisement