Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playing videos on TV

Options
  • 02-04-2013 12:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,071 ✭✭✭✭

Right, i have a few videos which are stored on an external HDD. My TV doesn't support USB, so i play the videos in VLC through my PC connected via HDMI. When i enlarge VLC the video loses quality.

However, if i connect the HDD to a TV with USB support (even bigger TV's), the video is perfect, no pixelation at all.

Can someone explain this to me? Or is there something i can do to get the same quality through the PC?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

You need to set the resolution in graphics properties, you possibly have the tv running at the resolution of the laptop, it needs to be higher

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭hearny

When you connect your PC to the TV you need to make sure its at the highest supported resolution.

By that I mean, if your TV is full HD you want to set the PC resolution to 1920 x 1080. There is of course a chance that your PC will not go that high.

Just google how to change the resolution.

If your resolution will not go that high (and your graphics card is installed properly) you may need a new graphics card to get the best picture.

Edit - PogMoThoin bet me to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,071 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Right, i've a Sony Bravia KDL-40S3000 (old enough). HD Ready, max resolution 1366x768. PC is set to that resolution, and is a fairly new PC with an PowerColor Radeon HD7850 V2 2GB GDDR5. Connected directly to TV through HDMI.

Is it just because the TV is HD Ready? For example, i have a digital copy of Grabbers. Played perfectly on a 50" Samsung Smart LED through USB, but the same file on my PC opens in VLC in a window about 1/4 the size of the TV, and maximizing it reduces quality.

Still getting used to my first build, and am no-where near knowing everything about it!

Advertisement