Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Palestine/Israel Book?

Options
  • 02-04-2013 1:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭

Lookin for a book on the history of the palestine/israel conflict thats unbiased and is pretty recent to include recent events.

Also I don't want to get too bogged down in facts and figures but hear more of a personal side.

Don't know if this is the rights place for this post so mods please move if needs be

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Pity the Nation by Robert Fisk?

I have a copy, if you want to cover the postage you can have it. More about Lebanon but a lot of it about Palestine too.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭haydar

Would you believe one of my mates just gave that book to me!

Thanks very much for the offer though

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

The Iron Wall: Israel and the Arab World

Very comprehensive overview of the conflict right from the beginning up to around 2000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

The Iron Wall: Israel and the Arab World

Very comprehensive overview of the conflict right from the beginning up to around 2000.

This is a much finer book that Fisk's.

Fisk's is a tomb and very well written. But his ideological stance is obvious. It must be impossible for an author to write a book about such an emotive and complex issue without a bias developing.

I felt that Shlaim's work manages to keep this bias more to the background. It makes uncomfortable reading for zealots and extremists on both sides, and most especially for those of the European Left who immediately cloud their judgement with dogma.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Zackdickensdog

Story of a Palestinian turned by the Isreal secret service

• Advertisement
Advertisement