Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New pet

• 02-04-2013 1:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I was thinking about getting a new pet as I am a massive animal enthusiast, but I'm not sure what type. I wanted something small since I'm at college and don't have a lot of space, put something very amiable and trainable that I could sit with watching tv or doing assignments etc. I've had gerbils, rabbits and hamsters in the past but none of them have ever been overly friendly. Any one have any ideas? I was thinking along the lines of a bird or rodent that could live on his/her own and wouldn't have too long a lifespan as I may leave the country at some stage and wouldn't want to leave them as a burden to my family. Any ideas would be hugely appreciated, I'm really set on a new companion for the next few years :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

My first thinking would be a couple of rats, as far as I know they are the most 'trainable' of rodents and are meant to make great companions!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I'd second the rats, I really want to get a couple, but you really can't have just one. They're really sociable and they need other rats for company.

How about a guinea pig? If you go to the right breeders you can get really lively temperament guinea pigs and you'd be surprised how much you can train them. Tbh you can train most animals to do some things, my hamster is trained to use a toilet, come when she's called and sit up on my shoulder when I walk around the house. It just takes patience and persistence and commitment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

I was thinking along the lines of a bird or rodent that could live on his/her own and wouldn't have too long a lifespan as I may leave the country at some stage and wouldn't want to leave them as a burden to my family.

Pet birds do not do well alone. They are flock animals and need company.
    In addition, they tend to be much more long-lived than rodents. Budgies live for 8+ years. The likes of finches, which have a shorter lifespan, are much more timid and probably not what you're looking for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

+1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 to pet rats!! :D

I got two last year, and I never looked back. They're a bundle of fun, very trainable, very affectionate and sociable. If you source them correctly (one breeder in Ireland, and one reputable rescue in Dublin that Im aware of), you should have no problem getting your hands on two hand-heared babies that are very healthy :) PM me if you want more info ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

id suggest a syrian hamster, who have to live one hamster to a cage, or a cockatiel. i have 2 cockatiels but my male never bonded with another bird only with me. if you get a hand reared bird it would be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

PucaMama wrote: »
    id suggest a syrian hamster, who have to live one hamster to a cage, or a cockatiel. i have 2 cockatiels but my male never bonded with another bird only with me. if you get a hand reared bird it would be fine.

Syrian hamsters can vary hugely in temperament though, and they don't sit still terribly long! I adore mine, and she's very sweet, but make sure you go to a good breeder/ reputable pet shop that breeds their own etc.

Syrian hamsters can vary hugely in temperament though, and they don't sit still terribly long! I adore mine, and she's very sweet, but make sure you go to a good breeder/ reputable pet shop that breeds their own etc.

i have both male and female syrians and id recommend the males as a pet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

i have both male and female syrians and id recommend the males as a pet

I agree although I have a lovely female at the moment. Males get tamer and live longer too.

My present female has eaten her way out of 4 different cages!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 53Saxyman35

I've heard rats are a very friendly and trainable pet so I think they're definately a possibility. My only fear is that my four female roommates may not like having rats in the house! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Fandango

My sis has a tiny apartment and had 2 guinea pigs for a few years. They basically like to stay in their cage and buzz out every now and then for a bit of company. Might also say they are the cutest little things ever! Never owned any but looked after hers a few times when she was away and they are amazing. Think you have to get two tho if you go that route as they hide away and basically die if they dont have a partner. (So im told anyway). For a small area tho they are a great pet!

PS. Keep them away from wires tho, they like to chew them. Wont electrocute themselves but ya may walk in one day to find the TV wont turn on :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

WTF RATS???????????????? VILE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Weathering wrote: »

Rats make lovely pets. Better company then some people!

Bear in mind that hamsters are very noisy at night! They are noctural and coukd easily keep you awake in a small apartment.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Weathering wrote: »

Weathering, this is the Animals and Pets forum, so in the context of this thread, it is not appropriate to make such comments on other people's choice of pet.
    Do not reply to this post on thread.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Knine wrote: »
    Rats make lovely pets. Better company then some people!

Bear in mind that hamsters are very noisy at night! They are noctural and coukd easily keep you awake in a small apartment.

Yeah I agree with hamsters being noisy, my guy used to spend all night chewing the bars of his cage banging them, so I used to stuff a toilet tube with toilet paper for him to shred at night until I found a plastic cage!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

I dont think guinea pigs would be a good idea. You need at least 2 as they shouldnt be kept alone. They need quite a lot of space and ideally they need to be let out for a run around every day, keeping them confined to a cage 24/7 isnt really fair, unless the cage is absolutely ginormous! My 4 love to get out and explore.
    Also they live between 5-8 years so not really suitable in that sense either.

A Ferret. Sleep alot !! Are like a cross between a cat and a dog. Can be trained in recall like a dog. Love to play, when they are awake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Another vote for rats, they are very cute and funny, very social too, but like to snooze while you're out. My daughter has 4 girls and they make great pets. There is one good breeder we have two of her babies and the are very friendly, males are quieter and not as lively, but both make great pets, must be kept in pairs or small groups.
    There is a forum for info called irish rat club forum, take. Look for more info, they have a rescue and rehoming section too.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Or mice, mice are great! Very intelligent and funny little things, and need a bit less space than rats, if space is an issue.

I'd recommend a pair of females, boys can be a bit smelly and can fall out. I have a female mouse who has to be kept on her own, she's always looking for attention from her humans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 96 ✭✭McSheez

GET SOME RATS!!!

OP I am a girl, and I think my rats are utterly adorable! I know a lot of women my age and younger who have been reformed. If your room is secure, it shouldn't be a problem, but you do need them in pairs, and a cage for two rats is going to be bigger than a large hamster cage (if you want them to be happy). They love human contact, so taking them out, even just for a cuddle, once a day for about an hour would be essential, and if you could give them a run around (if your room is big enough) once a day as well, they would be much better off and you get a bit more peace at night. The only problem is that they do have a rather unique smell - if your keeping rats in your room, you would need to spot clean the cage daily and make sure you crack a window or get a plug in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 jackbrad

Guinea pig for sure, very friendly once they have adapted to you, squeak at you, make lovely little pets.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Lexie_Karas

Just want to jump in and say that despite what another poster says, I wouldn't recommend a ferret! Don't get me wrong, they are fab pets, I have three myself and wouldn't be with out them, but they can have a fairly long life span! My oldest is 4 at the moment and I'd be hoping to have another 5 years or so with her. Average lifespan if they are healthy and well looked after is 8-10 years and I know some people that have had them as old as 13, definitely not the pet to get if you're only able to commit for a few years. (Delighted that the OP is taking into consideration how long his pet would live for and being realistic in what he can commit to :) Not everyone does). Best of luck!

i have 2 cockatiels but my male never bonded with another bird only with me. if you get a hand reared bird it would be fine.

Are you serious? Birds are not solitary creatures! A solitary handreared bird would need even MORE company as they are so much tamer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Rats FTW!

I had two rescue rats, Tola and Cashel. They were the best pets ever! Very cute, very clean, very intelligent and lovable. Much more interactive than say, gerbils or dwarf hamsters because they are easier to handle, a bit more sociable and more attached to you. Before I had rats of my own the tail was a turn off for me but once you fall in love with these little critters you don't think about the tail any more in that way. It's just part of who they are. :)

You'll need quite a big cage for rats and as other people have already mentioned, it'd be really unfair to keep one on its own. They love ratty company and groom each other and sleep snuggled up together. :)

You'll have great fun inventing new toys and hideys and climbing frames for them... They love novelty and you can come up with all kinds of fun stuff for them in your local Dealz or €2 shop!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

jackbrad wrote: »
    Guinea pig for sure, very friendly once they have adapted to you, squeak at you, make lovely little pets.

I know I already posted on this but I just wanted to emphasize that guinea pigs really wouldn't be a good choice given the OP's requirements.

OP - Whatever you decide you should do plenty of research on the animal before committing to anything. Some pets may sound easy to care for but in reality they are not. Cost is another factor too, when one of my guinea pigs hurt her foot it cost us €60 in total for all the care she needed. People tend to forget about vet costs when considering small furries.
    You will also probably find that majority of the animals that you can have more interaction with like piggies and ferrets, will live a lot longer than say a hamster or mouse.

Magenta wrote: »
    Are you serious? Birds are not solitary creatures! A solitary handreared bird would need even MORE company as they are so much tamer.

thought the op wanted an intelligent interactive and trainable pet to spend time with? i stand by a handreared cockatiel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Rats are lovely pets alright, had them myself for many years...but if they could only live longer than 2 or 2.5 years :(

Lars1916 wrote: »
    Rats are lovely pets alright, had them myself for many years...but if they could only live longer than 2 or 2.5 years :(

I know, my two just hit a year and a half, they're still quite spritely, so I'm hoping I'll see another year with them! Dreading the thought of one passing away and leaving the other alone :(

thought the op wanted an intelligent interactive and trainable pet to spend time with? i stand by a handreared cockatiel
    I was thinking along the lines of a bird or rodent that could live on his/her own and wouldn't have too long a lifespan as I may leave the country at some stage

I stand by reading the OP's post. A flock animal that lives for 15+ years? Sure to be a huge success...

• Advertisement

Magenta wrote: »
    I stand by reading the OP's post. A flock animal that lives for 15+ years? Sure to be a huge success...

have you had a hand reared bird?

my male cockatiel has no interest in other birds. he is strongly bonded with me. if my other cockatiel was gone tomorrow he wouldn't care.

Advertisement