Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who is the best fighter?

• 02-04-2013 3:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭dave3004

Always think about this one. Who's the best of the best in GoT?

I'll throw in a poll. Hopefully don't leave anyone out.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,640 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

This will be a spoiler heavy topic for sure:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

My money's on Varys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

I'mm going to guess that the chick with 3 dragons would win a few scraps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Havent read the books so go easy!

In terms of individuals, at the moment Jamie Lannister but I think Jon Snow will become the best.

If we are including armies then Daenerys Targaryen will blow everyone out of the water if she can keep control of those Dragons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Robert Baratheon in his day defeated the highly respected and noble Rhaegar Targaryan at the Trident with his hammer. Possibly the greatest victory in the history of the seven kingdoms since the Field of Fire.

I'd say he was a great warrior, Shít king though!

• Advertisement

Robert Baratheon in his day defeated the highly respected and noble Rhaegar Targaryan at the Trident with his hammer. Possibly the greatest victory in the history of the seven kingdoms since the Field of Fire.

Not the only person in the relm that got a bang of roberts hammer nudge nudge

Jesus, I'm turning into a game of thrones nerd

Would realistically need to define what a great fighter. Being strong as an ox and hard as nails with a hammer doesn't mean you're a great fighter just that you can win fights.
    Jamie lannister is a skilled fighter. Doubt he would beat drogo tho.
    Also. A battle is a fight so tyrion would be a fair hand in a real show of tactics. Bronn would not be able to take many people toe to toe but I'd bet he would step over more than his fair share of corpses. Define the rules and you can pick a battle type and see who the best is

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Since Melisandre can seemingly kill with magic and can't be killed herself, she's probably top dog. She's not as interesting character as the rest though.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Stimpyone

Ser Arthur Dayne is pretty much voted westeros biggest bad ass by every other bad ass in the books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

Vote goes to Selmy Barristan. No explanation needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

Red Viper, so long as he didnt get emotional.

Dorne FTW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Peace for the entire period he sat on the throne? Far from a **** king.

I would vote for the Viper of Dorne or Barristan Selmy . Eddard Stark and Jaime Lannister were good fighters too, along with Rob Baratheon, Khal Drogo, John Snow, Stannis Baratheon, Loras Tyrell, John Umber, Sandor Clegane, Gregor Clegane, Bronn, Robb Stark. You could name the whole bloody book, but the problem is we just don't see enough to get a good idea. We only really have bits and bobs and reputations. Based on reputation, it's probably going to be Oberyn Martell or Barristan Selmy.

Well that is a fair point and no doubt he was a better King than The Mad King he replaced (though most people would be).

But Peace usually follows after an all out war. Peace for a mere 17 years though. It was Roberts council that did all the ruling while he ran the Kingdom into a 6 million dragons debt to House Lannister.

The council member where also poorly choosen as ALL of them were traitors bar Renly & Jon Arryn. But even choosing Renly over Stannis was a mistake, as Renly fled when Ned needed him.

He also fathered no child with his queen, leaving no legitimate heir. His inability get over Lyanna and to care for Cersei turns her into the bitter Queen she is now and leads to his death and Neds.

All Robert did after he won the war was drink, eat, fúck whores and host expensive parties. He never matured into a King and all he dreamt about is smashing Raegar at the Trident. It was his hand, Jon Arryn that kept the peace that is why it is his death that begins the Game of Thrones.

Sorry for going off topic there.

Not really sure why so many people are going for Drogo. Equal in strength to the Hound or the Mountain but his lack of armour makes him very vulernable. A skilled armoured fighter like Jaime, Barristan, Martell or the Cleganes could bleed him to death as long as they kept their distance from Drogo short Arakhs.

*cough*Greyjoy Rebellion*cough*

Not really sure why so many people are going for Drogo. Equal in strength to the Hound or the Mountain but his lack of armour makes him very vulernable. A skilled armoured fighter like Jaime, Barristan, Martell or the Cleganes could bleed him to death as long as they kept their distance from Drogo short Arakhs.

Personally I would vote drogo, he will be the only one who would have to fight since birth. the others would have been taught and trained. That makes for a big combat advantage.
    He would have to fight for his life on a daily basis and not only has done that he has risen to a powerful title which can only be gained through being a great fighter amongst great fighters.

Yes the others are all battle hardened, but the westerosi in the know all agree that the horsemen are tough from birth, the only this the westerosi would fear is if their horses could cross the sea.

You're assuming that the the fight will be fought in full armour and longsword, and yes those will give an advantage to the knights on foot. But if they get to wear armour then he gets his horse. and a foot knight vs a mounted warrior armed with bow and sword is in a losing battle.

To counter the horse they would need spear and lighter armour. so then it goes to the viper.

Its a battle of top trumps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

It's probably Arthur Dayne or Jaime Lannister but Eddard Stark would have felt he could have beaten either on his day. Eddard reckoned Dayne would have killed him at the Tower of Joy but for Howland Reed but Dayne was older and more experienced than Stark at that stage.

The Red Viper was skillful but I suspect he would have lost to the other three men. Barristan Selmy is worth a shout too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Eddard Stark was no match for Jaime or Dayne. It's acknowledged somewhere in the books, that his brother Brandon was the real swordsman of the Stark family so he wasn't even the best in his own house, nevermind the realm.

Ned was beaten into the ground by Bronze Yohn when he stopped off in Winterfell on his way to the Wall with his son. Ned wasn't particularly lauded as a fighter.

Blay wrote: »
    Ned was beaten into the ground by Bronze Yohn when he stopped off in Winterfell on his way to the Wall with his son. Ned wasn't particularly lauded as a fighter.

ned's more of a lover than a fighter.

He is known for his big sword tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Sleepy wrote: »
    Eddard Stark was no match for Jaime or Dayne. It's acknowledged somewhere in the books, that his brother Brandon was the real swordsman of the Stark family so he wasn't even the best in his own house, nevermind the realm.

Eddard never fought in tourneys. His brother, Jaime and Dayne did. When it came down to the real stuff, he was confident in his abilities and seemed to do well. Never worried much about fighting Jaime and was doing well against him until he had a sword stuck in his leg. Jaime was clearly pissed off at this, not least because he probably wanted to killd Ned but I also suspect that he wanted to prove himself against a fighter that he knew had no respect for him but also that he felt was up to putting a fight up to him. I think Ned was underrated in the books because nobody really saw him fight. Robert had nothing but praise for him as they fought side by side. He saw the real Ned in battle.

• Advertisement

Take it from George RR Martin then. He's on record as saying Ned was a good general, and a great leader but merely a competent swordsman. Probably an above average one, but no great talent like Jaime Lannister or Arthur Dayne.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 614 ✭✭✭beardedmaster

ned's more of a lover than a fighter.

He is known for his big sword tho

if_you_know_what_i_mean_mr_bea.jpg

Eddard never fought in tourneys. His brother, Jaime and Dayne did. When it came down to the real stuff, he was confident in his abilities and seemed to do well. Never worried much about fighting Jaime and was doing well against him until he had a sword stuck in his leg. Jaime was clearly pissed off at this, not least because he probably wanted to killd Ned but I also suspect that he wanted to prove himself against a fighter that he knew had no respect for him but also that he felt was up to putting a fight up to him. I think Ned was underrated in the books because nobody really saw him fight. Robert had nothing but praise for him as they fought side by side. He saw the real Ned in battle.

The Jaime vs Ned fight was show only...in the books Jaime rides off and leaves the Lannister guards to fight Ned, Jory etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Well that is a fair point and no doubt he was a better King than The Mad King he replaced (though most people would be).

But Peace usually follows after an all out war. Peace for a mere 17 years though. It was Roberts council that did all the ruling while he ran the Kingdom into a 6 million dragons debt to House Lannister.

The council member where also poorly choosen as ALL of them were traitors bar Renly & Jon Arryn. But even choosing Renly over Stannis was a mistake, as Renly fled when Ned needed him.

He also fathered no child with his queen, leaving no legitimate heir. His inability get over Lyanna and to care for Cersei turns her into the bitter Queen she is now and leads to his death and Neds.

All Robert did after he won the war was drink, eat, fúck whores and host expensive parties. He never matured into a King and all he dreamt about is smashing Raegar at the Trident. It was his hand, Jon Arryn that kept the peace that is why it is his death that begins the Game of Thrones.

Sorry for going off topic there.

Yes, all very true. He certainly had a lot of flaws and he made some mistakes but he must have done something right to keep the peace.
    Stimpyone wrote: »
    *cough*Greyjoy Rebellion*cough*

Ah they're only a bunch of rock hugging upstarts. The rebellion didn't get that far before it was smashed. It didn't bring the entire realm into war.

I think people are picking Drogo a lot because he was born into battle. War is the Dothraki's way.

It's what Ned says about not showing his enemies his skills with the sword that got me thinking, oh and he killed a lot of Orcs while pierced with some arrows.

Is it Monday yet? :(

At least when the Greyjoy rebellion broke out Robert was at the end of the hammer himself and didnt get other to do all his dirty work for him.

Personally I would vote drogo, he will be the only one who would have to fight since birth. the others would have been taught and trained. That makes for a big combat advantage.
    He would have to fight for his life on a daily basis and not only has done that he has risen to a powerful title which can only be gained through being a great fighter amongst great fighters.

Yes the others are all battle hardened, but the westerosi in the know all agree that the horsemen are tough from birth, the only this the westerosi would fear is if their horses could cross the sea.

You're assuming that the the fight will be fought in full armour and longsword, and yes those will give an advantage to the knights on foot. But if they get to wear armour then he gets his horse. and a foot knight vs a mounted warrior armed with bow and sword is in a losing battle.

To counter the horse they would need spear and lighter armour. so then it goes to the viper.

Its a battle of top trumps.
    Get rid of all weapons. My money is on the mountain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Jaqen H'ghar would be very good killer, depends on the rules weapons etc

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭buckfast69

Syrio forrell was the first sword of the sealord of bravos, you dont become first sword if you cant dance. However i think the top swordsman in GoT is jamie lannister he is the christiano ronaldo of westeros he is the best, people hate him but they cant deny his talent.

On a quick aside. Who would the get the award for young swordsman? Jon snow, lancel lannister, arya stark, asha greyjoy etc.

Personnally i reckon jon snow is the best young swordsman, but for what its worth i think arya stark will be the name history books remember the most. That girl is destined for greatness.

For young fighter maybe Loras Tyrell? He's 16

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

buckfast69 wrote: »
    Syrio forrell was the first sword of the sealord of bravos, you dont become first sword if you cant dance. However i think the top swordsman in GoT is jamie lannister he is the christiano ronaldo of westeros he is the best, people hate him but they cant deny his talent.

On a quick aside. Who would the get the award for young swordsman? Jon snow, lancel lannister, arya stark, asha greyjoy etc.

Personnally i reckon jon snow is the best young swordsman, but for what its worth i think arya stark will be the name history books remember the most. That girl is destined for greatness.

she is nobody ;)

Yes, all very true. He certainly had a lot of flaws and he made some mistakes but he must have done something right to keep the peace.

No, no he didn't. If you can suggest something apart from appointing Jon Arynn and defeating the grey joys, i would be glad to hear what Robert did that cemented the peace among the 7 kingdoms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

currently lord Beric, all time probably Selmy or dayne.

Edit that just read up on him.

Currently so many to chose but if I had to chose a guy whilst I stood trial it would be maybe jorah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

The Sword of the Morning - love that name.

Probably currently Jaime Lannister but Brienne of Tarth is surely in the running, she was good enough to take a place
    (that was being saved for Barristan Selmy)
    on Renlys Kingsguard.

Bronn is a good fighter too.

I dont agree re Jorah Mormont,
    he only went into tourneys for his wife and claims that he was lucky in the one where he won (and won her)

Syrio Forel - I refuse to believe he is dead!

Why are people voting for Beric Dondarrion?. He was a piss poor tourney knight thats been killed something like seven times.

Stimpyone wrote: »
    Why are people voting for Beric Dondarrion?. He was a piss poor tourney knight thats been killed something like seven times.
    Because he cant be killed, so people are assuming that makes him a good fighter. You can fight a wall, you won't win. That doesn't mean that a wall is a good fighter.

Good fighters need multiple skills to win fights. Size and strength of the mountain will get you part way there, but if you cannot hit your opponent you cannot win.

Speed and technique will win you fights, but if you can't hurt your opponent you cant beat them. syrios swords will fail on armour, but he can avoid getting hit

Cunning and guile can get around a lot of obstacles but if you take a hit you're fight may be over soon. Bronn can probably dirty fight with the best of them but I doubt he can take a hit from the mountain

Being able to absorb punishment without end may win a couple of drawn out fights through exhaustion but if you can't overcome the opponent then you can't win.

Almost any fighter can beat any other fighter on any given day.

Im changing my vote to hodor+bran. Hodor is big enough and strong enough to batter the majority to the ground, with bran's brains he can be made to avoid damage while inflicting maximum hurt. He wont be the fastest, but his reach can close and open gaps. He would fight equally well with or without weapons, armour wont really hinder him, just make sure it doesnt block his view or trip him. make sure bran is well protected. and having two heads gives him a spacial awareness advantage, can't be backstabed by bronn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Im changing my vote to hodor+bran. Hodor is big enough and strong enough to batter the majority to the ground, with bran's brains he can be made to avoid damage while inflicting maximum hurt. He wont be the fastest, but his reach can close and open gaps. He would fight equally well with or without weapons, armour wont really hinder him, just make sure it doesnt block his view or trip him. make sure bran is well protected. and having two heads gives him a spacial awareness advantage, can't be backstabed by bronn.
    I'm unconvinced! In a "two men enter, one man leaves" situation Max Bronn could use a whistle to confuse Blaster Hodor, leaving Master Brann helpless and therefore win easily.

I'm unconvinced! In a "two men enter, one man leaves" situation Max Bronn could use a whistle to confuse Blaster Hodor, leaving Master Brann helpless and therefore win easily.

your tactics are poor grasshopper. Bran simply puts his fingers into hodor's ears.

Shiny objects? blinkers.

Food in a trap?...Er, best give Bran a sword just incase

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

Victarion Greyjoy ftw!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭DL Saint

uhm Giants, when they are angry, seem like they would be awesome fighters, judging by what Ygritte said in the last episode...

Having said that, I would say Barristan Selmy could still take them.

Aegon targarian and if drogo gets his horse argon gets balerion game set and match

• Advertisement

Cersei has to be considering with the weapon between her legs. It's got her this far and it would bloody work on me :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭For Paws

(1) Jamie 'The Goat took my hand' Lannister.

(2) Beric 'Hard to Kill' Dondarrion

(3) Jon 'You Know Nuthin' Snow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

For Paws wrote: »
    (1) Jamie 'The Goat took my hand' Lannister.

(2) Beric 'Hard to Kill' Dondarrion

(3) Jon 'You Know Nuthin' Snow

In DwD
    Mance Rayder made a fool of Jon as Rattleshirt

Haven't read it yet, but I so want to see what ^^that^^ spoiler is!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭80s Child

I've watched every available episode at least twice and I haven't a clue of some of the names you're mentioning here... Got to read the books!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

"...When Prince Daemon had Blackfyre in his hand, there was not a man to equal him...not Ulrick Dayne with Dawn, no, nor even the Dragonknight with Dark Sister."

arthur dayne probably, Cregan Stark, barristan and the viper. Jaime or syrio also.
    Also Gwayne Corbray

Cregan Stark, remind me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Cienciano wrote: »
    Haven't read it yet, but I so want to see what ^^that^^ spoiler is!

Never a good idea, I ruined a key scene in the last season of the wire by doing it on here, still been taking chances on here despite still having a couple of hundred pages of DwD to go :) Curiosity killed the cat I guess.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Sleepy wrote: »
    Cregan Stark, remind me?

"Cregan once fought Prince Aemon the Dragonknight. Prince Aemon claimed he never faced a finer swordsman"

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Didn't Rhaegar beat Arthur Dayne quite a few times at tourneys? Might just have been jousting rather than swords though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement