Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who'd win? :P

• 02-04-2013 3:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭

Always think about this one. Who's the best of the best in GoT?

I'll throw in a poll. Hopefully don't leave anyone out.

Who'd win? 96 votes

Jaime Lannister
    0% 0 votes
    Tywin Lannister
    17% 17 votes
    Jaqen
    3% 3 votes
    Brienne
    12% 12 votes
    Bronn
    8% 8 votes
    Khal Drogo
    11% 11 votes
    Barristan
    16% 16 votes
    Jorah
    30% 29 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

As the general of an army or in a sword fight? If the former, none could stand against Tywin.

Barristan in his prime would have slaughtered any of the other but given his advanced age, it'd be narrowed to Brienne or Jamie.

Jaqen is an assassin, so not necessarily a great swordsman. Jorah isn't anything special as knights go. Bronn's a survivor and prepared to fight dirty but hasn't off'd any swordsman of note in the series.

So, given MAJOR SPOILER
    Jaime no longer having a sword hand
    , I think the only winner here could be
    Brienne

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭cmssjone

The imp would cut them all to shreds with his witty, rapier-like tongue...

Barristan from what is said in the books it is very rare to see a Kingsguard reaching his age without being a bad ass mother****er.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,640 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

If the theory that he is still alive is correct and his limp heals then
    the Hound
    . Even Jaime mentions the savagery he fights with.

Then there's Barristan..he's not too old to crack skulls either and he trained with some of the best there has ever been so it would be between him and above.

Brienne is up there too..as she states in the books..a knight once told her men will try to finish her off quickly and they'll make mistakes so that would help her.

Theres a lot of other people who would be in the mix too..a good few contenders kicked the bucket in the war or were otherwise incapacitated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Jaime Lannister

Hands down best fighter

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Jaime Lannister

HANDS down best fighter

Oh the irony

apologies if the comment is a spoiler, cant delete post and cannae spoiler tag with mobile

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Both the hound and the mountain would be up there I reckon. I think it's safe to say
    the red viper
    wouldn't be far off too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

no mention of drogo yet? hardest warrior in a tribe of hard warriors who fight and kill each other for fun? probably fights as dirty as bronn, bigger and stronger than the rest. a lifetime of violence like that would match him against almost any of the others.

The rules of the match would decide the winner. full armour, longsword duel then itll go to jamie/barriston.

no rules street brawl then drogo or bronn/ possible jaqen.

Full on army battle then tyrion or tywin. my money on tywin there tho. Although if drogo gets to bring his army there may be an upset

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

well after reading WAY ahead..i guess it has to be
    Brienne or Bronn the rest either being maimed or dead. I would say Brienne

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

If they're all at their peak with swords, my money is on Barristan.
    In a free for all mosh pit, my money is on the mountain.

• Advertisement

Cienciano wrote: »
    If they're all at their peak with swords, my money is on Barristan.
    In a free for all mosh pit, my money is on the mountain.

mountain would be a target, someone clever like bronn would get behind him and hide as he destroyed the rest before slitting his throat.

mountain would be a target, someone clever like bronn would get behind him and hide as he destroyed the rest before slitting his throat.
    It's possible Bronn would beat anyone fighting this way, but I reckon 9 times out of 10 Gregor would beat him.
    And bronn has a chance to take him on 1 on 1, he knows it's way to risky and refuses

It's possible Bronn would beat anyone fighting this way, but I reckon 9 times out of 10 Gregor would beat him.

bronn, while dirty is still a good fighter
    He's already beaten a 'better' knight who was far better equipped and on home soil

While no doubt the mountain is formidable his is simply large and psychotic. I cant remember there being mention that he is a skilled fighter just that he is frightening and huge.

a smaller nimble fighter might out pace him and wear him down.
    Barriston has shown great skill against much stronger, larger and younger opponents fighting with a stick, it's likely he could still be the best fighter here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

While no doubt the mountain is formidable his is simply large and psychotic. I cant remember there being mention that he is a skilled fighter just that he is frightening and huge.

What, you mean like
    the Red Viper?

Didn't end too well for him...

Sleepy wrote: »
    What, you mean like
    the Red Viper?

Didn't end too well for him...

;-) still won tho

bronn, while dirty is still a good fighter
    He's already beaten a 'better' knight who was far better equipped and on home soil

Barriston has shown great skill against much stronger, larger and younger opponents fighting with a stick, it's likely he could still be the best fighter here.
    The mountain has amazing reach and armour is too thick for bronns sword to cut through. The only way he'd beat him if if
    he swapped his sword for a spear dipped in poison ;), but bronns weapon is a sword, not sure if he's skilled enough with spear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

I declare this poll null and void. There's no Syrio Forel option. Bah.

Seriously, if they were all at their peak, I'd go for one of Jaime, Barristan or Drogo. If they were wearing full armour, I think they'd be a match for Drogo. I'd probably go for Barristan.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭dave3004

No readzy aheadzies !!!!

Stay with the tv series.

Wayyyy too many spoilers in there. Was reading with one eye closed

dave3004 wrote: »
    No readzy aheadzies !!!!

Stay with the tv series.

Wayyyy too many spoilers in there. Was reading with one eye closed

This forum isn't just for people watching the show? ( I love both by the way)

The thread never outlined sticking to just the show but fair enough spoiler tag stuff that hasn't been on tv yet. I forgot about the mountain and the hound... Shocking as Sandor is a favourite of mine too. Still think Barristan is the boss though. Jamie shows respect to him when he shows it to noone else. Plus he squired for him so Selmy thought him everything he knows :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Shazbot

Still think Barristan is the boss though. Jamie shows respect to him when he shows it to noone else. Plus he squired for him so Selmy thought him everything he knows :)

Jamie actually squired for Sumner Crakehall. He was then knighted by Arthur Dayne. From all the characters living or dead, Arthur Dayne would be the best fighter. From those left alive, it would have to be Jamie
    before he lost his hand
    or Brienne
    the only person to give Jamie trouble, granted he wasn't in top shape.

• Advertisement

Shazbot wrote: »
    Jamie actually squired for Sumner Crakehall. He was then knighted by Arthur Dayne. From all the characters living or dead, Arthur Dayne would be the best fighter. From those left alive, it would have to be Jamie
    before he lost his hand
    or Brienne
    the only person to give Jamie trouble, granted he wasn't in top shape.

Indeed he did but he squired for him during one battle at least and that's when Jamie got his first kill. Or was that just said in the show I can't remember, remember the man chat Robert, Jamie and Selmy have?

Indeed he did but he squired for him during one battle at least and that's when Jamie got his first kill. Or was that just said in the show I can't remember, remember the man chat Robert, Jamie and Selmy have?

That was just the show. The replace Jamie's admiration for Arthur Dayne with Selmy.

Shazbot wrote: »
    That was just the show. The replace Jamie's admiration for Arthur Dayne with Selmy.

God damn it, it's hard to keep track at time :)

God damn it, it's hard to keep track at time :)

That's all too true. I always checking A Wiki of Ice and Fire to refresh my memory.

Actually, I'm changing to Beric Dondarrion as a man to survive a fight

Actually, I'm changing to Beric Dondarrion as a man to survive a fight

Not a great fighter, he just has a great medic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Come the next book there may be another new/old name to add to the list in Robert Strong if we get to read about him in action.

An old name if he is indeed a reincarnation of
    Gregor Clegane and maybe even headless at that, though part of me thinks it is the body of Clegane with the decomposed head of Robert Baratheon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

When people are using spoilers, is it possible to put the initials of the book in that you're spoilering? :o I'm on the fifth book and really want to read what people are saying in this thread, but I'm worried I'll read something that I don't yet know!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 614 ✭✭✭beardedmaster

ibarelycare, as good as an idea that is, a lot of the time I don't know which book it'd be from that I'd be saying a spoiler about. I read all of them in the space of less than a month, so they all kind of blended into one!! Particularly the two books of A Storm Of Swords.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

I did make the case for the Red Viper in the otrher thread.

but if you want someone as imposing as the Mountain how about

Wun Weg Wun dar Wun ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

I'd give it to Barristan in his day!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Kzamll1992

why isn't Theon Greyjoy an option!??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Kzamll1992 wrote: »
    why isn't Theon Greyjoy an option!??
    Reek rhymes with weak.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Kzamll1992

i didnt mean in a physical contest!! but i reckon he'll out live all those characters! Such a cockroache of a character... and one of my favourites!!! :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Brienne 6 votes to Jaimes 18, not so sure about that!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Barristan the badass

Barristan the badass

+1, just look at the guy's CV;

Campaign against Kingswood Brotherhood
    Duskendale
    War of the Ninepenny Kings
    Robert's Rebellion
    Greyjoy Rebellion
    Numerous tourney victories

He's a living legend; he cut down at least 12 men at the Trident and butchered members of the Golden Company to kill Maelys Blackfyre. In one of his chapters Tyrion says the smallfolk see him in the same light as Aemon the Dragonknight etc.

I think some footage of him fighting on the show will raise his profile with viewers a lot. There have been some references on the show to his skill so far; when he talks with Ned in S1, when he, Robert and Jaime are telling war stories and when Jorah tells Dany who he is.

Love what Ned said to him; 'I'm glad we never met on the field Ser Barristan, as is my wife, I don't think the widow's life would suit her':pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Also when he was removed from teh kingsguard he tells them how he , even now, would cut through all of them like butter.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Also when he was removed from teh kingsguard he tells them how he , even now, would cut through all of them like butter.

cake :pac:

Damn it, carving a cake, the eloquent man!

• Advertisement

Just read that GRRM said that between Arthur Dayne and Barristan the Bold it would be a toss up as to who would win, if dayne was not fighting with his sword Dawn. And that they are the two best fighters in the series.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 614 ✭✭✭beardedmaster

Source?

Duunno, ive just seen it said in a few threads like this.

He mentioned it on a 'So Spake Martin' on Westeros.org.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭KonFusion

No love for the mighty Jorah? Can't have spent that many years as a sellsword without pickin up a few tricks!
    Looking forward to him and Barristan coming to blows. And no mention of Ser Robert Strong? I can imagine he's gonna be a bitch to kill/re-kill

And where the hell is
    Strong Belwas
    on that list. The beast! :pac:

I guess if I had to pick though I'd give it up to Barristan the Old. ADWD spoilers:
    His fight with Khrazz is awesome. One of my favourite lines in that book is from that chapter: "For the first time all day, Selmy felt certain. This is what I was made for, he thought. The dance, the sweet steel song, a sword in my hand and a foe before me."

Advertisement