Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike stolen inside my apartment block

Options
  • 02-04-2013 9:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hey,
    I'm living in Dublin and I was home to Galway for the weekend, when returned to Dublin my bike was stolen from the bike shed in the courtyard of my apartment block. My bike was locked and the apartment block is gated with an entry code. There is a camera facing the bike shed but I'm pretty sure that doesn't work. What can I do? Am I covered by any insurance?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,926 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Nope, items would be left at owners discretion. Check with the management company on the camera but i would imagine you have very little come back on this.

Best bet in future is to insure that you have proper decent locks (plural)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

davidfla90 wrote: »
    Hey,
    I'm living in Dublin and I was home to Galway for the weekend, when returned to Dublin my bike was stolen from the bike shed in the courtyard of my apartment block. My bike was locked and the apartment block is gated with an entry code. There is a camera facing the bike shed but I'm pretty sure that doesn't work. What can I do? Am I covered by any insurance?

If you are referring to the Management Companies insurance, no, it would not cover the personal possessions and contents of individual owners. You should have contents insurance yourself for all item within your unit and you could include the bike under that.

You could ask for the CCTv and bring it to the Gardai. I would also question the management company why the CCTV is not operational as it is a security concern, but they are most certainly not liable for your loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,303 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I'd register the bike with the guards in the bridewell. They have a straightforward form to fill out. If you give enough details, including the serial number (of course you have the serial number - who doesn't take a note of this...?), they will reunite it with you if it is recovered in the future. Loads of stolen bikes are recovered, but without any way of definitively identifying the owner, they go to auction. You could also try posting a description over on the 'stolen bikes' thread.

Advertisement