Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using a line boost thru a loop station

Options
  • 02-04-2013 10:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

I am using a boss loop station to lay down rythem guitar. I then play back and play lead over it. The problem I have is that the lead is not quite loud enough and could do with a volume/gain boost for the lead part only.

If I use a line boost (something like the LPB-1 box) linked before the loop station, will it also boost just what I have recorded in the loop station as well?
    as I dont want this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

Depends on what looper you use.
    I use the RC20 and the RC50, on those you can set the playback and line in levels seperately, so if need be I can lower the playback or increase the line in as I need.

If thats not an option then increasing the line in volume, either through a booster or by turning up the volume on whatever pedals you're playing through wont affect whats already recorded, however, play around with the levels because the input might start to clip if you increase the level going into it.

To avoid this I would suggest recording the rhythm at a lower volume then as opposed to recording the lead at a higher level if that makes sense

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭18AD

KeithTS wrote: »
    To avoid this I would suggest recording the rhythm at a lower volume then as opposed to recording the lead at a higher level if that makes sense

I do this. I run my bass through a Boss RV-50H into the loop station so I can adjust the volume easily. Recording at lower then turning up to overdub/solo over.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭squelly

@ keith, Yes I am using a Boss RC-20. I will try messing around with the levels. dont really want to go down the road of another pedal if I can avoid it. there are so many boost/volume pedals out there.

@ 18AD, I checked out the RV-50H and it seems this pedal is like an accelerator type pedal in so far as the more you press down the more gain.
    I think I would prefer a single press type with set volume, as working with the looper it could get complicated. It also seems that noise can be a bad inheritance with some of these pedals.

thanks for your input lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Please keep post relating to equipment in the 'Instruments' forum. The 'Playing & Techniques & Theory' forum is for precisely what it implies in the title - playing the guitar and learning to play the guitar. It's quite easy.

how does "playing & techniques & Theory" precisely imply that it relates to the Guitar?????
    if it is as you say purely for guitar learning and theory, at least put some note to that effect in the Sticky, because the title certainly does not imply this. I thought this is posted in the instruments forum. Baffled!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

That's my bias showing through. I should have said instruments in general instead of the guitar. My point still stands though - this is the forum for equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Just get something like an SHO clone or an EP boost, and just kick it on for your leads.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

squelly wrote: »
    @ keith, Yes I am using a Boss RC-20. I will try messing around with the levels. dont really want to go down the road of another pedal if I can avoid it. there are so many boost/volume pedals out there.

@ 18AD, I checked out the RV-50H and it seems this pedal is like an accelerator type pedal in so far as the more you press down the more gain.
    I think I would prefer a single press type with set volume, as working with the looper it could get complicated. It also seems that noise can be a bad inheritance with some of these pedals.

thanks for your input lads.

Ok, I have one of these. Firstly they do suck a bit of tone and volume naturally.
    But YOU DO NOT NEED TO BY ANOTHER PEDAL
    There are 2 knobs in the top left.
    Level is whatever you are playing live now or recording at present.
    Guide is whatever you have already recorded (which is now playing-back or "looping")
    Simply set Level to 12 o clock and Guide to somewhere between 9 and 10 o clock.
    That should help

Cormac, when I turn up the guide I get a drum beat. is this knob related to the tempo.?
    I thought the input level switches (top right) set the live level ( 1 for instrument and 1 for mic) and the top left level knob is playback level for what you just recorded?

I set the top right live to 1 o clock, and the top left to 11 o clock. this drops my play back lower than my live, so my lead is now louder, which is what I want.

Ah ok.... I had the same problem. Use the knob in the centre to chose a "Phrase" which doesn't have ANY drums. I think I use number 11.
    Sorry yeah I should have been clearer - Doing this when the pedal is not in front of me is a bit stupid :D

Glad to hear you resolved it.

FYI, I you plan on playing 3 guitar loops get a 2nd looper.... once you record a loop, and record another over it. Once you try to play a lead line over it, the signal worsens. Esentially because of the number of different frequency notes being pushed through (an already bad tone) pedal. I'm planning on buying a 2nd RC-20 for this exact reason.

• Advertisement

squelly wrote: »
    I thought the input level switches (top right) set the live level ( 1 for instrument and 1 for mic)

Also, technically no... you can have 2 instruments plugged into a RC-20 each at a different volume level when it reaches/hits the pedal....

On a side not, check this guy out if you are interested in loopers (made me buy one anyway haha)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8Htzmxg0ms

Advertisement