Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaelforce North 29.06.13

Options
  • 02-04-2013 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone here is doing Gaelforce North this year or has done it in the past? I've signed up for the first time and any tips or observations would be greatly appreciated!

I'm mostly a runner (half-marathons, marathons etc) have done bits n pieces of trail runs but nothing too major. I haven't done much cycling in a few years and haven't been in a kayak in about 20 years :eek:

Specifically my questions are:

Bike: road bike or mountain bike? I have both although my road bike will need a major re-haul or even replacement if I go with a road bike. Would a MTB with slick tyres do the trick?

Shoes: regular running shoes or trail shoes?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

I'm in for this too. Road bike and runners I've been told

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

I'm in for this too. Road bike and runners I've been told

I think i'll do one of these next year

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Capri Man

Used trail runners last year and had no issues. Depending on the weather, Errigal can be a bit slippy and with the large numbers, the path being used can get muddy so whatever you decide you need a bit of grip on them.

As regards bike, all depends if you want to be competitive or not but most people chasing a time will use a road bike and put on gatorskin tyres. However, a lot of people on different types of bikes seemed to puncture last year on the rough part of the off road section so it's hit and miss really. This part is a short downhill section but it is pretty rough with big stones etc. The first part of the cycle into Errigal involves a couple of miles of gradual climbing so you dont want a bike thats going to be too heavy, especially if its "gaelforce" winds like last year.

Let me know if you need any other info, I do a fair bit of training on the actual route so would know it well.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Badda Bing

Definitely use a road bike on the day! Mine has the gatorskin tyres. They aren't 100% puncture proof but are better than ordinary tyres. At the very beginning of the forest trail you will have to get off your bike to push it up the hill. You can cycle carefully on the loose stones after that. Towards the end of the forest trail you will be able to cycle a little faster [surface is more compact], although you will have to pick your path around patches of bad road.
    Trail runners would be more ideal if conditions are damp coming down Errigal. My plan this year is to start the race wearing road runners. I'll then change into my recently purchased trail runners at the bike transition area.
    Get your legs used to being back on a bike and running up steep inclines!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Capri Man

Badda Bing - Does this mean you're going to have to carry the road runners or tie them to the bike after the run. Do you figure you'll save much time between using road runners over trail runners on the run?

• Advertisement

Capri, I'll hide them in the hedge at the bike transition and pick them up after the race. Its not ideal but thats the plan.
    I'm more comfortable running while wearing the road runners. I would not expect much time to be saved wearing either runner on the run. The trail runners will help on Errigal... more traction coming down the mountain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭Enduro

Badda Bing wrote: »
    Capri, I'll hide them in the hedge at the bike transition and pick them up after the race. Its not ideal but thats the plan.

It's a lot less than ideal. It's against the race rules, and if you're knowingly breaking the race rules then you're cheating.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Did it 2 years ago, wasnt around last year and back to it this year.
    Have done GFW, will just be using runners instead of cycling shoes this year i think

Enduro wrote: »
    It's a lot less than ideal. It's against the race rules, and if you're knowingly breaking the race rules then you're cheating.

http://www.gaelforceevents.com/north/en/event_details/kit_list.html

''You may choose to use suitable cycling shoes and gloves, these can be left with your bike''.

So it turns out that you can use two different pairs of footwear. Good to know! Anything to make the course as comfortable as possible for the competitor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭donegaldude

I did the first GFN, used my road bike on gatorskins with no problems. What I did do was use road shoes for the first cycle and I kept my trail runners on after the mountain for the second cycle, bit of a bitch on the soles of the feet but was glad I had the runners when I had to get off the bike and push up hill over very rough ground. I wasn't there to win or get a time so it worked out fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Badda Bing wrote: »
    http://www.gaelforceevents.com/north/en/event_details/kit_list.html

''You may choose to use suitable cycling shoes and gloves, these can be left with your bike''.

So it turns out that you can use two different pairs of footwear. Good to know! Anything to make the course as comfortable as possible for the competitor.

FYI, you'll need to take your runners with you on the bike. Some people use these bottle cages for their shoes: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dual-Bike-Bicycle-Rear-Behind-Saddle-Seat-Water-Bottle-Cage-Mount-Holder-917280-/121080851562
    • Do not litter. Any competitor found littering will face automatic disqualification.
    • Do not leave anything in the bike compound when you collect your bike during the race

From: http://www.gaelforceevents.com/north/en/event_details/rules.html

• Registered Users Posts: 26 siobhanb79

Hi Guys,
    Siobhan here from Gaelforce Events.
    As a few people have said you cannot leave anything behind you in the bike transition area. This will be seen as littering and you will be disqualified.
    We run our events in beautiful areas of Ireland so please appreciate this and do not litter, or events like this will not be running for long!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Barbaramc

Hi Folks,

23 days to go, just wondering how peoples training is going? what are you doing at the moment?

I'm currently cycling to and from work, Bootcamp (circuits) twice a week, running 2/3 times a week, play tag 2 a week (but that's just social)

Need to get a few more longer cycles in.

Any suggestions or ideas of what the rest of you are doing would be great!

Cheers
    Barbara

Advertisement