Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ministers Attending Union Conferences

• 02-04-2013 11:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭

Why do they bother? It's a meeting presumably to discuss working terms and conditions. Surely the minister would be better off getting a brief of what was decided at the conference (if anything) and then making some sort of measured response? S/he could send some dept secretary to brief the union on any developments and the minister could get on with developing policy and legislation (or more likely indulge in parish pump politics ;))

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Why do they bother? It's a meeting presumably to discuss working terms and conditions. Surely the minister would be better off getting a brief of what was decided at the conference (if anything) and then making some sort of measured response? S/he could send some dept secretary to brief the union on any developments and the minister could get on with developing policy and legislation (or more likely indulge in parish pump politics ;))

It's a chance to talk directly with a wider group of their workforce (the departments answer to the voters though the ministers) than they would otherwise get. It helps cut out "editorialising" by higher ups that might change a message, especially if the press are around.

If they didn't show up, the union members would have another reason to gripe, i.e. the minister doesn't give us access in order to "reason" with him/her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

I accept it has some merit, however I'm not too sure that this outweighs the unions grandstanding that seems to be a necessary part of the ministers attendance.

Also I think it provides the union conference with a lot more media attention than anything that is actually being debated i.e. all I know about the teachers one is that the minister got heckled. The actual issues that they were discussing are not on the media agenda. This may of course be due to them not being relevant to anyone other than the teachers...

Also I don't think a minister attending one of these shindigs is appropriate to his/her status especially with the heckling and general eejitry of the conference attendees. I firmly believe that most of our ministers are sub-standard excuses, but even still - the office itself should demand some level of respect which it is patently not going to get at one of these conferences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

I accept it has some merit, however I'm not too sure that this outweighs the unions grandstanding that seems to be a necessary part of the ministers attendance.

Also I think it provides the union conference with a lot more media attention than anything that is actually being debated i.e. all I know about the teachers one is that the minister got heckled. The actual issues that they were discussing are not on the media agenda. This may of course be due to them not being relevant to anyone other than the teachers...

Also I don't think a minister attending one of these shindigs is appropriate to his/her status especially with the heckling and general eejitry of the conference attendees. I firmly believe that most of our ministers are sub-standard excuses, but even still - the office itself should demand some level of respect which it is patently not going to get at one of these conferences.

Why do Ministers go to football matches?
    Why do Ministers address IBEC conferences?
    Why do Ministers address IFA conferences?
    Why do Ministers address conferences of other organisations?
    Why do Ministers address other groups of voters?

The unions have as much right as any group to be addressed by the Minister, if in our democracy Ministers are right to address any group, then what is your problem? You just don't like unions or you just don't like Ministers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

If ministers earned respect, they'd get respect.

But when they lie & break promises & continually attack people's ability to look after their families, what do you expect?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

I agree with this post. There was a lot of childish conduct by teachers this week

I agree with this post. Teachers behaved childishly this week. A Minister is entitled to some courtesy and respect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

nuac wrote: »
    I agree with this post. Teachers behaved childishly this week. A Minister is entitled to some courtesy and respect.
    The unions and ministers are gearing up for a fight. Quinn attends the conferences, and the people sitting at home watching on TV sees teachers behave like children. Minister 1, Teachers 0.

Whereas if he refused to turn up, the reverse would be the score.

It'll all be useful ammunition for the Minister when this comes to a head.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 425 ✭✭Dreamertime

I would love Howlin to attend the CPSU ADC in Galway :)

Advertisement