Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet Explore the Java settings keep getting disabled

Options
  • 02-04-2013 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭

Ok can someone please explain why in Internet Explore the Java settings keep getting disabled, ie in the Java Plug , and Java Just In Time (JIT) compiler and console keep getting disabled and people need to re enbaled them .

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

It's possibly a security feature in the web browser due to the serious Java vulnerabilities which have been cropping up lately, make sure the Java plugin is fully up to date also

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Unless you are using a program,
    or need to acess a specific website that requires java ,
    there,s no need to use it.
    IT has been found to reduce security ,and
    expose security vunerabiltys in windows pcs.
    I have not used it in 3 years
    eg theres a thread in this forum, is java a virus?I understand some programmers need to use it ,and some financial websites need it to work properly.
    I Use chrome ,and iron browser , i,d never install it ,in either of those browsers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

riclad wrote: »
    Unless you are using a program,
    or need to acess a specific website that requires java ,
    there,s no need to use it.
    IT has been found to reduce security ,and
    expose security vunerabiltys in windows pcs.
    I have not used it in 3 years
    eg theres a thread in this forum, is java a virus?I understand some programmers need to use it ,and some financial websites need it to work properly.
    I Use chrome ,and iron browser , i,d never install it ,in either of those browsers.

Why both ? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    Why both ? :confused:

Personal preference? I use a combination of four different browsers for various different reasons. If you only use one then that's fine for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

I also use several browsers for different tasks, but I was confused with Chrome and Iron; Iron is AFAIK the same but minus the phone-home bits of Chrome ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I Find chrome is more stable than iron, plus you can get chrome extensions ,
    which may not work on the iron browser.
    Why rely on one browser anyway,
    anything is better than internet explorer.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

We've been disabling the Java plug-in for all internet sites except those on the trusted list through group policy.

Is it possible your company are doing the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

If your JRE is up to date, maybe it has been disabled from the Control Panel Java applet. Go to the Security tab, the checkbox is at the top of the tab.

Advertisement