Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of moving a manhole cover

Options
  • 02-04-2013 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hi,
    We're in the process of buying a house and there's a private drain at the back of the garage. We've checked with Dubln City Coucil and it's part of the private drainage system so we wouldn't need planning permission to move it.
    Our surveyor has said that it's part of the trunk sewer so overall would anyone have a jist of the cost of moving the manhole back a few feet so we could build an extension? :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 murnettie

Did you ever find out how much this would cost? I'm facing the same situation and I'd love to know how much approx we would be talking about. Mine serves the full block

• Registered Users Posts: 21,522 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The manhole isn't the big problem, its the piping. That needs to be rerouted around your site. Would not know the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

Toffypop wrote: »
    Hi,
    We're in the process of buying a house and there's a private drain at the back of the garage. We've checked with Dubln City Coucil and it's part of the private drainage system so we wouldn't need planning permission to move it.
    Our surveyor has said that it's part of the trunk sewer so overall would anyone have a jist of the cost of moving the manhole back a few feet so we could build an extension? :o

a lot would depend on depth of present manhole

Hi I would like to build an extension out my back garden but unfortunately I have a manhole right where I would like the extension to be it is a shared manhole in that its services all of the houses on my block.

Has anybody come across this and had it moved did you get the council to do it or was your own builders able to do it? Did you have any problem with Dublin city council to get permission? The extension itself won't need planning permission as such but I assume I would need permission from them to move the manhole and built over the piping et cetera? Anybody with experience in this regard would be really really helpful I was told I could have it built over and just have a special sealed manhole but I really don't like the idea of it being in my house!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

What's the width of the site?
    & What's the width of the extension?
    Is there a precedent for building over the shared drain in your terrace?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Is it unusual to have a shared manhole on your property ?

murnettie wrote: »
    Did you ever find out how much this would cost? I'm facing the same situation and I'd love to know how much approx we would be talking about. Mine serves the full block
    Stop! Ask your question in one lace please. If you want info from specific posters. Send them a rivate message.

Bullocks wrote: »
    Is it unusual to have a shared manhole on your property ?

Op is it a shared 'manhole' ?

Or a shared 'pipe/ foul drain' ?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,522 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Bryan, whilst the OP is registered a long time, they have rarely posted.
    Easy on the loudhailer.

Sorry I didn't realise, I just searched and realised that the problem was similar to mine so thought I'd ask. My uncle who has rodded it over the years said its about ten foot deep so quite large

• Advertisement

Sorry I'm crap with the terminology when it comes to all this when I said shared manhole I meant shared pipe/foul drain ... I think! I know all the houses on the block have their sewage run to it! Any time any of those houses have blocked drains they come to me for access. It's about ten foot deep. Yes others along that block have extensions past where the manhole is in my garden if that's what you mean by precedent?

I would hope that I could have like a lean too single story extension with a small conservatory. I'm I sure as to the width as the other half needs to measure up but it's a standard two story three bed house in donnycarney so old council style kind of thing and I would hope the extension would be the same width

Water John wrote: »
    The manhole isn't the big problem, its the piping. That needs to be rerouted around your site. Would not know the cost.

That's what I was thinking. Would that be a builder job do you think or would the council have to do it themselves I wonder. I'm just curious at the moment I'm still saving for this so I'd like to just know how much to budget for for this aspect. My uncle seems to think it will be a lot but I've not found anyone who has actually had it done

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

That's what I was thinking. Would that be a builder job do you think or would the council have to do it themselves I wonder. I'm just curious at the moment I'm still saving for this so I'd like to just know how much to budget for for this aspect. My uncle seems to think it will be a lot but I've not found anyone who has actually had it done

It's a builders job. The council will not get nvolved n private drainage systems.
    You need to accurately place the pipe and manhole,mother get your architect/technician/draughtsman or who ever is preparing your plans to see if they can design around the system or indeed, just build over it using the approved details.

Bearing in mind that you will need to leave the system accessible for ridding etc you really should upgrade the pipe on your site and provide a new manhole outside of the building footprint for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭cornholiooo

if it's a straight through manhole ie one with just a pipe in and a pipe out then it may be possible to just build over the existing manhole, before digging down to the pipeline and putting in a new manhole as near as you can to the old one, outside the building footprint.
    If there are more than two pipes, if the line is changing direction or if there are back drop pipes it gets more complicated.
    A local Ground works / heavy plant hire company would be my choice.
    Someone small and reputable.
    I couldn't see them doin a whole lot for <5k

Some posts merged
    Water John wrote: »
    Bryan, whilst the OP is registered a long time, they have rarely posted.
    Easy on the loudhailer.
    If you have a problem with a mod direction, please use the PM function thanks

Sorry I'm crap with the terminology when it comes to all this when I said shared manhole I meant shared pipe/foul drain ... I think! I know all the houses on the block have their sewage run to it! Any time any of those houses have blocked drains they come to me for access. It's about ten foot deep. Yes others along that block have extensions past where the manhole is in my garden if that's what you mean by precedent?
    You need professional advice. A double sealed trap internal is grand if it's just you that needs access but I wouldn't fancy having to open it for your neighbours.
    kceire wrote: »
    It's a builders job. The council will not get nvolved n private drainage systems.
    You need to accurately place the pipe and manhole,mother get your architect/technician/draughtsman or who ever is preparing your plans to see if they can design around the system or indeed, just build over it using the approved details.

Bearing in mind that you will need to leave the system accessible for ridding etc you really should upgrade the pipe on your site and provide a new manhole outside of the building footprint for this.

Advertisement