Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there any privately run Nursing degrees in Ireland?

Options
  • 02-04-2013 12:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭

I know this is probably a stupid question but I am wondering if there are any privately run nursing degrees in Ireland?

Similar to Law/Business/etc that are offered by privately therefore paying fees and avoiding the points race?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

None that I'm aware of.

Once you meet the pre requisites you could try applying directly to the college(s) especially around the time term starts and ask them to allow you to join the class. Out of large classes a few always get late offers or change their mind or life throws obstacles in their path. In short, there's empty places on the course and the college makes no money from an empty place.
    Having the prerequisite subjects and grades would still be important though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭another question

None that I'm aware of.

Once you meet the pre requisites you could try applying directly to the college(s) especially around the time term starts and ask them to allow you to join the class. Out of large classes a few always get late offers or change their mind or life throws obstacles in their path. In short, there's empty places on the course and the college makes no money from an empty place.
    Having the prerequisite subjects and grades would still be important though.

That has given me some hope Dingle_Berry, I wouldn't have even thought of that, I will definitely be doing this, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭pinkballetdance

Sorry to burst a bubble, but as far as I'm aware that's not possible, Colleges's can't accept you unless you have applied through and been accepted through the CAO (Except in the case of international students obviously.. ). However I do know it is sometimes possible to apply for a intracollege transfer - That is for example you don't get any of the nursing courses you apply for but as a back up you put a lower points course last on your CAO, when you have been accepted to that course and you become a registered student in that college you then go and seek out the head of the nursing department and explain its nursing you want to do and would you be able to transfer? I personally know of a number of people who have transferred to their desired course by this method, (only one into nursing mind) but I'd say it's your best bet. For certain colleges there is requirements e.g. ULs infamous (and I'm not sure how true but anyway) 20 points rule - which says you can only transfer to a course if it's within 20 points of the course you've been accepted to..

Any way bottom line contact the nursing departments in the colleges you'd like to attend before the 1st of July CAO change of mind closing date, and ask them for advice because as far as I know it's basically against the law to give someone a place in a course when they haven't been accepted to the college through CAO, because that's not very fair on the people who applied properly...

Another option is a pre-nursing PLC, I know certain colleges hold places for people who've done these courses but you'd need to contact the PLC colleges to find out more info on that because I'm not sure.

Hope this helps and good look with everything. If you have any other questions feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

And I personally know people who have entered courses by ringing the colleges when term is about to start and getting a place. As long as they met the minimum subject requirements.
    Again, the colleges use the CAO to fill positions on courses. If the CAO fails to fill all the places the college is missing out on upwards of €6K a year.
    There is no law that I am aware of that obliges colleges to use the CAO to fill all positions. If anything it would be against equality legislation to say non-national students can apply directly but not nationals.

Having said that the above is an option too (transferring within an institution) once you meet the minimum requirements. I know people who used first year general science to fullfil the minimum requirements for pharmacy and then transferred.

OP there is always a back door, option b, route. Aim to go the direct/normal route but don't get too stressed about it. Your main focus at the moment should be doing a leaving cert that you will be personally proud of!

• Site Banned Posts: 45 Double decker

You can apply as a mature student later on, and that doesn't depend on your leaving cert results.

• Advertisement
Advertisement