Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Zidane: Bale impressed me the most

• 02-04-2013 12:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭

Via ESPN...

http://espnfc.com/ne...396568?&cc=5739

Zidane: Bale my player of the year

PA PhotosGareth Bale has had a fine season

Zinedine Zidane says of all the players this season he has been most impressed by the "unique" talent of Gareth Bale.

Bale, 23, has been in inspirational form this term and is being tipped for a big-money move in the summer, with both Barcelona and Real Madrid reportedly interested in the Tottenham man.

Zidane, who could join the coaching staff at Madrid next season, went to watch the Wales international in Spurs' Europa League tie against Lyon in February, and was encouraged by what he saw.

"This year the player who's impressed me most is not actually playing in the Champions League. He's playing in the other cup [Europa League], and that's Bale," Zidane said.

"He's unique. He makes things look easy, his pace is frightening, his acceleration is unbelievable because of his ability to go through the gears in very little space. Plus, he's very good technically which is also important. We mustn't forget that he plays football very well!

"And he's really impressed me. I've seen him two or three times live, including recently at Lyon, which wasn't necessarily his best game, but where every time he got the ball he can surprise you."

Spurs boss Andre Villas-Boas described Bale as "world class" after his display during the 2-1 win at Swansea at the weekend. Zidane agrees with the Portuguese, although he does not believe he is at the same standard yet as Lionel Messi or Cristiano Ronaldo, as some have suggested this season.

"He's perhaps not quite at the level of the other two, but he's different," Zidane said. "So personally I don't think he's far off.
    "

So tapping him up for Real Madrid or just hasnt seen Suarez play? :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

So?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    So?

..... hmmm

I think it's now fair to compare Zidane with Pele.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

It is his opinion and I for one respect it as he was one of the greatest himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

KingdomYid wrote: »
    It is his opinion and I for one respect it as he was one of the greatest himself.

Baffling logic...being great at something doesn't automatically put you in a position to judge how good someone else is.

• Advertisement

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Baffling logic...being great at something doesn't automatically put you in a position to judge how good someone else is.

baffling logic lol? I think people who are great at something are better placed than most to see it in others. I mean if I had never seen a game of football in my life then I probably wouldnt be able to judge the best players would I?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Playboy wrote: »
    baffling logic lol? I think people who are great at something are better placed than most to see it in others. I mean if I had never seen a game of football in my life then I probably wouldnt be able to judge the best players would I?

Using someone who has never watched a game to make your point is going to the other extreme....baffling logic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

One could be some sort of prodigal genius in footballing terms but also a simpleton. How good a footballer Zidane was says nothing about his ability to critically appraise ideas.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Using someone who has never watched a game to make your point is going to the other extreme....baffling logic.

:confused: People who are great are able to judge talent in others in most instances. Its not baffling logic by any stretch of the imagination. You are the baffling one

Gbear wrote: »
    How good a footballer Zidane was says nothing about his ability to critically appraise ideas.

appraise what now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

But Zidane surely hasnt seen the majority of EPL games this season or has seen enough of the competition to make a valid argument of whos better in comparrison to Bale.

Bale will probably win it, but I'd have Suarez, RVP or Mata ahead of him.

If its about goals then RVP and Suarez are ahead of him, if its about assists then Mata, Suarez and RVP are ahead of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

In fairness he's said he's been most impressed by Bale, he isn't far wrong, the likes of Suarez, RVP & Mata etc have all had big money transfers and are already big names in football, Zidane probably wouldn't of known that much about Bale until last season, so to say he's impressed him the most isn't a huge shock IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

One could be some sort of prodigal genius in footballing terms but also a simpleton. How good a footballer Zidane was says nothing about his ability to critically appraise ideas.

To be fair, he did convince Real Madrid to sign Raphael Varane, I think he's alright at spotting a player.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭aramush

The only person who will agree with Zidane that Bale is player of the year are the Spurs fans, which is fair enough. However, in the real world we all know Luis Suarez is the player of the year, wether he gets the award or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,985 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

To be fair, he did convince Real Madrid to sign Raphael Varane, I think he's alright at spotting a player.
    Yep and the problem here is that nowadays there are too many people who just think they know more than a legendary footballer.

There might be a case, as suggested earlier, that he is doing this to line up a Real Madrid swoop for the player but its not like he is picking a player that isn't in the running for player of the season.

..... hmmm

Doesn't really explain why this is threadworthy? And, yeah, I don't have to post. But if there were threads started for every opinion of a former footballer it would get pretty clogged here wouldn't you agree?

In anycase, the true rating of Bale will come in the next Pele 'greatest 100 footballers in the world' list...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,381 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

would have thought this thread was going to contain more rage about Madrid getting their always too public pursuit of a player started.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,381 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Doesn't really explain why this is threadworthy? And, yeah, I don't have to post. But if there were threads started for every opinion of a former footballer it would get pretty clogged here wouldn't you agree?

In anycase, the true rating of Bale will come in the next Pele 'greatest 100 footballers in the world' list...

will he be above or below Nicky Butt or Diouf, can't wait!

I think the number of comments indicate that the thread has merit? "So" isnt a contribution so why dont you take your ball and go play elsewhere if you have nothing better to do than take the thread OT.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

This, Pele, for example has shown down the years that he is a crap judge in player ability.

• Advertisement

would have thought this thread was going to contain more rage about Madrid getting their always too public pursuit of a player started.

There is a 'special' realtionship so I dont think they really need to tap him up to be honest. If they stump up the cash he will go there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Nowhere in those quotes does it say he is his player of the year.
    "the player that has impressed me most"

Nothing bizarre about that, he's had a fantastic season and scored some brilliant goals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭Ilik Urgee

aramush wrote: »
    The only person who will agree with Zidane that Bale is player of the year are the Spurs fans, which is fair enough. However, in the real world we all know Luis Suarez is the diver of the year, wether he gets the award or not.

I'd wager there are more than a few non Spurs supporters who'd consider Bale for player of the season. Or welsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

The only person who will agree with Zidane that Bale is player of the year are the Spurs fans, which is fair enough. However, in the real world we all know Luis Suarez is the player of the year, wether he gets the award or not.

Yeah, in the real world we all know that :pac:
    GavRedKing wrote: »
    Bale will probably win it, but I'd have Suarez, RVP or Mata ahead of him

All accepted 'big 4' players, coincidentally

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

markesmith wrote: »
    Yeah, in the real world we all know that :pac:

Shock horror, the better players tend to be at teams higher up the table.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Tapping him up already?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Bale and Ronaldo in a swap deal, although Levy will probably ask for Ronaldo and 50 million.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭DoctorGonzo08

Brilliant how you can dismiss your own post before you make your point. Spurs fans think Bale deserves while Liverpool fans believe Suarez should get it. Shock & Horror.
    markesmith wrote: »

I don't know who accepted Liverpool into the 'big 4', surely you would consider players from City or Arsenal as members of the 'big 4' first?

Brilliant how you can dismiss your own post before you make your point. Spurs fans think Bale deserves while Liverpool fans believe Suarez should get it. Shock & Horror.

For those not fortunate to have players of the calibre of Suarez and Bale in their respective teams, all they would have to do is look at the stats and see Suarez has been the better player this season.

• Advertisement

For those not fortunate to have players of the calibre of Suarez and Bale in their respective teams, all they would have to do is look at the stats and see Suarez has been the better player this season.

Stats can prove anything. I wasn't diminishing the decision of whoever wins the poty award. I was just pointing out the ridiculous way you went about diminishing Bales. The four players mentioned are all there or therabouts for their own merit. RVP, Suarez, Bale & Mata have all had very good seasons.

Stats can prove anything. I wasn't diminishing the decision of whoever wins the poty award. I was just pointing out the ridiculous way you went about diminishing Bales. The four players mentioned are all there or therabouts for their own merit. RVP, Suarez, Bale & Mata have all had very good seasons.

Yes exactly and stats have proved that Suarez has had the better season. I am diminishing Bales chances for the simple reason that Luis Suarez, if right was right, should be the recipient of player of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,985 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Yes exactly and stats have proved that Suarez has had the better season. I am diminishing Bales chances for the simple reason that Luis Suarez, if right was right, should be the recipient of player of the year.
    But thats just your opinion. Personally I believe Mata has been the best player in the Premier League this season. And I have no bias because I don't follow a EPL team.

Stats don't decide who is player of the season. The players do that for the PFA award and the writers do it for their award. Stats only show who has scored the most goals, has had the most assists etc.

The EA sports PPI has RVP miles ahead of anybody else with Bale second, Suarez third and Mata fourth.

What do you make of those stats?

What stats are those? Goals and assists? Are those only criteria we are allowed to judge on? Who wrote these rules.. you? Why bothe having a vote... lets just award it to the player with the best stats every year.. kinda like the golden boot except you include assists. No chance of a defender ever winning though I suppose :(

Not sure if you picked up but my comment that Stats can prove anything was sarcasm. There were stats last year that Joe Allen had a better passes completed average than Xavi. Does that imply Allen is a better player than Xavi? No. You weren't using stats to make a point either, you have just used the word 'stats'. You said Bale wasn't in contention because only Spurs fans believed he was deserving. I know I am making an assumption here, but I would guess that you are a Liverpool fan? If so, does your assessment of Bales chances not extend to Liverpool fans wanting Suarez to win it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

Not sure if you picked up but my comment that Stats can prove anything was sarcasm. There were stats last year that Joe Allen had a better passes completed average than Xavi. Does that imply Allen is a better player than Xavi? No. You weren't using stats to make a point either, you have just used the word 'stats'. You said Bale wasn't in contention because only Spurs fans believed he was deserving. I know I am making an assumption here, but I would guess that you are a Liverpool fan? If so, does your assessment of Bales chances not extend to Liverpool fans wanting Suarez to win it?

It wasn't Joe Allen. It was Leon Britton.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

eagle eye wrote: »
    But thats just your opinion. Personally I believe Mata has been the best player in the Premier League this season. And I have no bias because I don't follow a EPL team.

Stats don't decide who is player of the season. The players do that for the PFA award and the writers do it for their award. Stats only show who has scored the most goals, has had the most assists etc.

The EA sports PPI has RVP miles ahead of anybody else with Bale second, Suarez third and Mata fourth.

What do you make of those stats?

hey where do you check them. would be interested in criteria and how some specific players rated

764dak wrote: »
    It wasn't Joe Allen. It was Leon Britton.

I don't know if that makes it better or worse...

I'd like to think anyone with any half decent footballing brain would see how good a player Suarez has consistently been this season, working with, lets face it, an average squad. Mata, Bale and whoever else you care to mention have been good but Suarez has been that little bit above. Liverpool fan or not, you cannot honestly deny that.

Suarez has been very good, definitely one of the best this season but one thing I remember seeing was his contribution to points difference based on assits, goals, think it was behind rvp and mata (might have changed in recent weeks) other than that he's ahead i think. btw i wouldnt have rvp as clear cut Utd poty, think carrick has been immense and probably more consistent, hard to believe hes not scholes.

Zidane doing some nice work for Madrid, talking up a future player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Zidane doing some nice work for Madrid, talking up a future player.

Yes a future player I would say but not for maybe another 2 years or so IMO. Of course depends on what happens with Spurs and CL qualification aswell.

• Advertisement

Yes a future player I would say but not for maybe another 2 years or so IMO. Of course depends on what happens with Spurs and CL qualification aswell.

I'll say he'll be at Spurs another season regardless then it will be time to cash in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

If Spurs don't get CL qualification I think he could be off, although I hope not as i'd like to see him stay in PL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Bale and Ronaldo in a swap deal, although Levy will probably ask for Ronaldo and 50 million.
    And he'd get it too.

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

You can only laugh at the soccer forum sometimes, if zidane said suarez was the best player we'd have a 20 page congratulatory thread and certain fans creaming themselves, but because its bale its a non thread. :rolleyes:

Bale has been very good, is he amongst the best players in the world? I don't think so.

has any of the best players in the world played better than him this season? marginally debatable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

If you are going by just stats then Berbatov should have won the PFA player of the year 2010-11 season. If only goal scorers should win then midfielders and defenders won't stand a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Enjoy Madrid next year Garath

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

You do realise they don't play in the same position? I don't even know who I'd pick, but your reasoning of 'right is right' is ridiculous.

Suarez has more goals and assists than Mariappa of Reading too, so that means 'right is right'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Oranage2 wrote: »
    You can only laugh at the soccer forum sometimes, if zidane said suarez was the best player we'd have a 20 page congratulatory thread and certain fans creaming themselves, but because its bale its a non thread. :rolleyes:

Bale has been very good, is he amongst the best players in the world? I don't think so.

has any of the best players in the world played better than him this season? marginally debatable.

If I could thank this twice, I would. Why not just rename this forum the Liverpool and United forum and be done with it? Every other dissenting opinion just gets shouted down.

Zidane was giving his opinion on who impressed him. Not who the best player ever is or who should win award A,B and C. Just who had impressed him. He's allowed to do that. The question he was asked probably led him in that direction anyway. Honestly, it's like some of you don't know how the media works.

And he's right. Bale has been very impressive this season. He's impressed me anyway. He's far more than the one-trick pony many assumed he was after the Inter game. Yes, he's a diving cheat. That's obvious. He's still had a great season in footballing terms. If he wins some awards, you couldn't say it's a surprise. I'd want him in my team

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭mags1962

FFS, Zidane said that the player that has most impressed him in the Champions League this year was Gareth Bale and that he was playing in the other competition.
    Don't let the facts ever get in the way of the story.

I think the number of comments indicate that the thread has merit? "So" isnt a contribution so why dont you take your ball and go play elsewhere if you have nothing better to do than take the thread OT.

lol, message boards don't necessarily work like that!
    Oranage2 wrote: »

Zidane's opinion is as relevant as that of Alan Shearer or Johnny Giles or any former footballer really. A random sound bite from any of them is maybe worth a post in the superthread concerned?

• Advertisement
Advertisement