Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Zidane: Bale impressed me the most

Comments

In fantasy football assists are given to a player taken down for a pen/freekick

Might be the reason for a few extra there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

If youre going on assists + goals combination then himself and Mata are on 20.

Bale - 17 + 3

Mata - 10 + 10

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

GavRedKing wrote: »
    The difference between goals like that wouldnt be compared at all and I dont think they have been in this thread. :confused:

If its about goals regardless of distance or difficulty Bale doesnt deserve to be player of the year as we'd only be counting EPL goals not ones in pre-season or international games which have no bearing on POTY.

I've watched enough to notice those things youre mentioning happened back in 2010-11.

Spurs depend on Bale playing centrally now as the goals from DeFoe and Adebayor just arent there at the moment, I suppose he could and probably should get more assists from playing behind a striker but he hasnt which isnt really his fault if the fellas in front of him arent up to the task.

Either which way, IMO, POTY he aint.

:confused: You said a goal is a goal no matter what its like. I was just trying to show you that context can make a big difference. I meant that for all players, not just Bale.

Bale was playing as a winger when he won player of the year. There has only been one player of the year since he won it. You think that's too long ago to be relevant?!

Player of the year is not just about goals, it's about who the best player is.

I think it's hard to choose between RvP, Suarez and Bale, they've all been outstanding this season.

I think Mata is a nice player but he is a class behind those 3.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    In fantasy football assists are given to a player taken down for a pen/freekick

Might be the reason for a few extra there.

Thats a nailed on assist as far as I'm concerned. It's almost a more important contribution to the goal than the guy who slots the penalty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Here Precious2

Bale - 17 + 3

Mata - 10 + 10

Bale offers much more than Mata imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mr Whirly

I'd take Bales 7 goals over Matas 7 assists all day long.

Mr Whirly wrote: »
    I'd take Bales 7 goals over Matas 7 assists all day long.

Mata has 10 assists

Ormus wrote: »
    Thats a nailed on assist as far as I'm concerned. It's almost a more important contribution to the goal than the guy who slots the penalty.

In that case Mata has 13

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mr Whirly

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Mata has 10 assists

I mean the 7 more he has on Bale.

as Gav said Mata has 10 goals and 10 assists. Bale has 17 goals and 3 assists. I'd take the 7 extra goals Bale has scored over the 7 extra assists Mata has got.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Bale - 17 + 3

Mata - 10 + 10

Both made 27 appearances.

Rooney 12 goals and 9 assists in 21 appearances and he is having his best season.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Bale's lack of trickery makes me fear that he is one injury away from losing his pace, thus reducing to him to the Kilbane level of wing play.
    There is no disputing that, right now, any team in the world would be augmented by his presence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Bale's touch is very heavy. Mata has far better technical ability than Bale overall. Would all the people in this thread calling him a midfielder call Messi and Ronaldo midfielders? Because for the last 15 or however many that he has been scoring well in he is playing as far forward as they do. His pace is his main attribute and a great attribute it is bit the others have more in their locker, especially when the goals stop flowing as freely as they are for Bale now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Liam O wrote: »
    Bale's touch is very heavy. Mata has far better technical ability than Bale overall. Would all the people in this thread calling him a midfielder call Messi and Ronaldo midfielders? Because for the last 15 or however many that he has been scoring well in he is playing as far forward as they do. His pace is his main attribute and a great attribute it is bit the others have more in their locker, especially when the goals stop flowing as freely as they are for Bale now.
    He went 2 games without scoring and scored in his last game :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

looks ****ed after that injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Out for the season imo. Him and Lennon both went off injured tonight... Top 4 not gonna happen now.

Broken or sprained?

537897_445851412155601_1422639267_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

So what is Mata doing with all this technical ability?

764dak wrote: »

0,,10268~10870457,00.jpg

722370485-soccer-uefa-euro-2012-final-spain-v-italy-olympic-stadium.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRlevh9YJCuVgluJVtmtU5aH67OgqF9H0dXlWEKSn1e0kppRAo38w

not much.

stuff?
    Club
    Valencia
    Copa del Rey (1): 2007–08
    Chelsea
    FA Cup (1): 2011–12
    UEFA Champions League (1): 2011–12
    [edit]Country
    Spain
    FIFA World Cup: 2010
    UEFA European Football Championship: 2012
    FIFA Confederations Cup: Third-place 2009
    UEFA U-19 Championship: 2006
    UEFA European Under-21 Football Championship: 2011
    [edit]Individual
    UEFA U-21 Championship Golden Player: 2011[73]
    UEFA U-21 Championship Bronze Boot: 2011
    UEFA U-21 Championship Team of the Tournament: 2011
    Chelsea Player of the Year : 2012
    FA Cup Final Man of the Match : 2012
    Premier League Player of the Month (2): October 2012 December 2013

• Advertisement

0,,10268~10870457,00.jpg

722370485-soccer-uefa-euro-2012-final-spain-v-italy-olympic-stadium.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRlevh9YJCuVgluJVtmtU5aH67OgqF9H0dXlWEKSn1e0kppRAo38w

not much.

Ah sitting down with the world cup after watching his team mates win it?

Class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

dreamers75 wrote: »
    stuff?

Thiiiiiiings!

Bale's touch is heavy? Seriously? Very heavy? Are we watching the same player?

Who was calling him a midfielder? He is a forward who used to play left wing and before that he played left back.

He is a bit like Juan Mata, except he can dribble and cross and head the ball and he has an amazingly powerful shot and runs like an Olympic sprinter. Apart from that they're very similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Bale's touch is heavy? Seriously? Very heavy? Are we watching the same player?

Who was calling him a midfielder? He is a forward who used to play left wing and before that he played left back.

He is a bit like Juan Mata, except he can dribble and cross and head the ball and he has an amazingly powerful shot and runs like an Olympic sprinter. Apart from that they're very similar.
    Bale has more pace and power, Mata is more skillful - if they had a walnut in front of them one would smash it open with his fist, the other would prise it open with their fingernails. It's great to have both in the Premier League

greendom wrote: »
    Bale has more pace and power, Mata is more skillful - if they had a walnut in front of them one would smash it open with his fist, the other would prise it open with their fingernails. It's great to have both in the Premier League

Fair enough, it's a matter of opinion, Mata is more about vision and is a better short passer of the ball but Bale is more skillful for me.

Being able to cross and shoot at full pelt is an amazing skill to have.

Witness his chip pass for Vertonghen's goal against Swansea the other day, followed a few mins later by his amazing first touch and shot almost without any part of his body moving except his left foot. You will never ever see Mata doing that. He just doesn't have the foot to eye coordination or touch to be able to try it.

Fair enough, it's a matter of opinion, Mata is more about vision and is a better short passer of the ball but Bale is more skillful for me.

Being able to cross and shoot at full pelt is an amazing skill to have.

Witness his chip pass for Vertonghen's goal against Swansea the other day, followed a few mins later by his amazing first touch and shot almost without any part of his body moving except his left foot. You will never ever see Mata doing that. He just doesn't have the foot to eye coordination or touch to be able to try it.

You really have to wonder if people even watch the players they are talking about with bollocks like this being pedaled around. In Mata's last game he made a fantastic pass that set up the goal that made the difference in an FA cup QF against the best team in the country this season. Mata's touch and "foot to eye co-ordination" (:pac:) are better than Bale's. It's hard to read your stuff without any semblance of objectivity. Bale has not been better than Suarez or RVP this season and Mata pips him for producing at the circus that is Chelsea for me. He is up there with the best but the level of hyperbole is far too much.

• Advertisement

You really have to wonder if people even watch the players they are talking about with bollocks like this being pedaled around. In Mata's last game he made a fantastic pass that set up the goal that made the difference in an FA cup QF against the best team in the country this season. Mata's touch and "foot to eye co-ordination" (:pac:) are better than Bale's. It's hard to read your stuff without any semblance of objectivity. Bale has not been better than Suarez or RVP this season and Mata pips him for producing at the circus that is Chelsea for me. He is up there with the best but the level of hyperbole is far too much.

I'm guessing you haven't played much football or you would understand the level of technique it takes to control a ball and hit it without adjusting your balance or you're feet, let alone to do so and score from 25 yards out. Most people would end up on their arse on the ground, even most Premiership footballers would end up like that. It's one of those goals that is much better than it looks.

Now I think Mata is a cracking little player and a clever passer and one of the best in the Premiership, but he will never score a goal like that, trust me.

Suarez or Van Persie could. Actually Suarez scored a better goal earlier this season, can't remember who it was against, where he controlled on his shoulder and let the ball spin around him before rounding the keeper. Again, Mata will never have that kind of ability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

I'm guessing you haven't played much football or you would understand the level of technique it takes to control a ball and hit it without adjusting your balance or you're feet, let alone to do so and score from 25 yards out. Most people would end up on their arse on the ground, even most Premiership footballers would end up like that. It's one of those goals that is much better than it looks.

Now I think Mata is a cracking little player and a clever passer and one of the best in the Premiership, but he will never score a goal like that, trust me.

Suarez or Van Persie could. Actually Suarez scored a better goal earlier this season, can't remember who it was against, where he controlled on his shoulder and let the ball spin around him before rounding the keeper. Again, Mata will never have that kind of ability.
    This is a more difficult take and finish for me

cambo2008 wrote: »
    This is a more difficult take and finish for me

Mata could never score a goal like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

Mata is not fit to lace the boots of Suarez or Bale.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Mata is a fantastic player, and one of my favourite in the league. Is he better than Bale? I dunno, but i'd absolutely love to have both of them at Spurs. He's definitely one of the most composed players on the ball, and can pick a pass like very few people can.

• Advertisement

Mata is not fit to lace the boots of Suarez or Bale.
    Champions League winner Juan Mata? The best player on the winning team and all? You're talking pure bollocks really. Sure the stronger faster guy must be the better player, it's worked out for England and Ireland all these years.

Champions League winner Juan Mata? The best player on the winning team and all? You're talking pure bollocks really. Sure the stronger faster guy must be the better player, it's worked out for England and Ireland all these years.

The same mata who picks up World Cup and euro medals with Spain whilst sitting on the sidelines. Mata wouldn't lace bales boots.

The same mata who picks up World Cup and euro medals with Spain whilst sitting on the sidelines. Mata wouldn't lace bales boots.

If achievements with the national team are a marker, Bale is a long way down the list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Mata wouldn't lace bales boots.

I agree, he has nothing about him at all...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

iregk wrote: »
    I agree, he has nothing about him at all...

Bale would have kicked the ball so hard when nutmegging Albiol that he'd have broke his leg.

This obviously makes him the better player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

You're talking pure bollocks really.

Mata was near as influential in that CL campaign as Ramires, Drogba, Terry, Cahill, Cole or Cech. And as for influence in the Euro 2012 or WC 10 victories.. Well, by some people's logic here Djimi Traore is a better player than Bale.

For the record I'm not saying either player is better than the other, personally, I think it's a fairly stupid comparison as the players are nothing alike.

It's not about being stronger or faster, it's about being better at football.

Just cos a player is smaller doesn't mean he is more skillful.

Eg: Ronaldo is more skillful than Stephen Hunt, yet he is also bigger and faster.

Now you do one.

If achievements with the national team are a marker, Bale is a long way down the list.

But achievements with the national team are not a marker.

You do know that right?

But achievements with the national team are not a marker.

You do know that right?

That was the point I was making. But you knew that, didn't you ?

I'll clear this up ...Bale is better than Mata.

• Advertisement

That was the point I was making. But you knew that, didn't you ?

I hoped you were joking.

Hard to know around here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I'll clear this up ...Bale is better than Mata.

LoL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

LoL

Even if you do not agree with someone's opinion surely an LoL is not a very mature response. I really don't care who is better but as I have said before I would not swap Bale with anyone in the Premier League at the moment. This is just my opinion and I would hope it is not laughed at.

KingdomYid wrote: »
    Even if you do not agree with someone's opinion surely an LoL is not a very mature response. I really don't care who is better but as I have said before I would not swap Bale with anyone in the Premier League at the moment. This is just my opinion and I would hope it is not laughed at.

In fairness, it was in response to an equally inane post.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

After van Persie, Mata's the best player in the league.

After van Persie, Mata's the best player in the league.

In your opinion :)

My favourite part of this thread was being told Mata could never do a chip pass, cross the ball or shoot with power.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

KingdomYid wrote: »
    In your opinion :)
    Was this post really necessary?

In fairness, it was in response to an equally inane post.

Yeah you are right in fairness.

• Advertisement

Fair enough :D

Advertisement