Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring of Kerry route

Options
  • 02-04-2013 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

Will be doing the Ring of Kerry this weekend and just wanted some advice, have searched a bit already but would like some fresh advice. We're staying in Glengarriff Saturday night and planning on doing the Ring early Sunday morning with this ROUTE. We'll be going clockwise round it and just wondering does anyone have any tips on it or should we drive up to Killarney first and and do the anti clockwise route.

Any advice welcome, thanks! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Hi there,

Will be doing the Ring of Kerry this weekend and just wanted some advice, have searched a bit already but would like some fresh advice. We're staying in Glengarriff Saturday night and planning on doing the Ring early Sunday morning with this ROUTE. We'll be going clockwise round it and just wondering does anyone have any tips on it or should we drive up to Killarney first and and do the anti clockwise route.

Any advice welcome, thanks! :)

Hi there .Henry Sellers.,

I'm moving your thread from Travel into the Kerry forum as it would be localised.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

The clock wise route is suggested for cars, as the buses go anti clockwise & you don't really want to get stuck behind a big tour bus. I was there in mid February. I didn't see all that many tour buses, but I'd imagine there are more of them now that it is Spring and the weather is nicer. The Skellig Rings is well worth doing. Look out for the chocolate factory in Ballinskellig. It's well worth a a visit. When you get to Portmagee, take a trip across the bridge to Valentia Island. You get amazing views back towards the mainland from it, and it is well worth a drive around itself.

Route seems fine, just be careful that road through the Gap of Dunloe is very narrow, just wide enough for one car, and there will be pony and traps coming though it against you unless you are up very very bright and early. There are places to pull in, but it is still very narrow with one or two hairpin bends.

Look at the other Ring thread for places to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭.Henry Sellers.

Really appreciate the replies, thanks very much. I'll give Valentia Island a go too. By the time we get to the Gap of Dunloe especially now after hearing of a Chocolate factory!! I'd say it will be the evening so hopefully the Ponies fecked off to bed :D but it'll be nice to see them all the same.
    Thanks again for all your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

I didnt know that you could drive through the gap of dunloe #EveryDaysASchoolDay

• Advertisement
Advertisement