Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CPS 3

• 02-04-2013 12:44pm

What do you need to get the cps3 system going?
    Is it just a case of getting a main board and carts?
    and what the best games on the system?
    cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I think most CPS3 setups are: Mainboard, CD Rom drive & game disc {encrypted} & a Cart {Game Bios & Decryption}. I think there are versions that have no cd rom drives too though

sounds expensive!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Total noob when it comes to CPS 3 but I thought I read recently on AO about some suicide possibility with the setup?

Taken from Wikipedia:
    The CP System III is the latest arcade system board designed by Capcom. It features a security mechanism; games are supplied on a CD, which contains the encrypted game contents, and a security cartridge containing the game BIOS and the SH-2 CPU[1] with integrated decryption logic, with the per-game key stored in battery-backed SRAM. When the CP System III board is first powered on, the contents of the CD are flashed onto a bank of SIMMs on the motherboard, where it is executed. The program code is then decrypted at run time via the security cartridge. The security cartridge is sensitive to any sort of tampering, which will result in the decryption key being erased and the cartridge being rendered useless. Games become unplayable when the battery inside the security cartridge dies.

I'm not sure if it's anyway like CPS 2 where you can replace the battery or get it phoenixed, but the above sounds dodgy/risky to me.

Best game on it is SF3: 3rd Strike. But that's emulated so not sure I would bother with the above hassle.

yeah sounds like hassle,
    are you running the cps2 ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

There is no phoenix solution for CPS3 at the moment, however apparently we may be close.

I wouldn't bother yet anyway. It's not just like CPS2 where the battery runs out after 5 or so years, read this -

The tampering includes variations in voltage, static electricity, pulling the cart out while the game is running or even touching the bottom part of the board while turned on. There are even rumors that connecting the kick harness while running might cause this as well, but this is unconfirmed.

CPS2 is a breeze in comparison.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

urbanledge wrote: »
    yeah sounds like hassle,
    are you running the cps2 ?

No, don't have any CPS2 boards, just a single CPS1. Haven't caught the CPS2 bug yet although ondafly has a gorgeous single board grey version of Gigawing that had me tempted - haven't seen another one since.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Ive street fighter 3 alpha at home, it worked last time i tried it but dont think its been phoenixed, its pretty expensive to get it done isnt it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭purplec

o1s1n wrote: »
    There is no phoenix solution for CPS3 at the moment, however apparently we may be close.

I wouldn't bother yet anyway. It's not just like CPS2 where the battery runs out after 5 or so years, read this -

The tampering includes variations in voltage, static electricity, pulling the cart out while the game is running or even touching the bottom part of the board while turned on. There are even rumors that connecting the kick harness while running might cause this as well, but this is unconfirmed.

CPS2 is a breeze in comparison.

it will cost you about £100 for everything at a minimum you need a Street Fighter 2i cart and the you need a full set of simms and 1 spare 128mb, the phoenix solution has arrived and Street fighter 3S is the bomb

Google darksoft

keithgeo wrote: »
    Ive street fighter 3 alpha at home, it worked last time i tried it but dont think its been phoenixed, its pretty expensive to get it done isnt it?

no PM IDC on otaku and ask for a phoenix fix for your game and if you want I can burn the roms for you for free.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

purplec wrote: »
    no PM IDC on otaku and ask for a phoenix fix for your game and if you want I can burn the roms for you for free.

Cool, thanks a lot, ill get to it eventually, its one of those things i keep putting of, appreciate the offer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Andrew76 wrote: »
    No, don't have any CPS2 boards, just a single CPS1. Haven't caught the CPS2 bug yet although ondafly has a gorgeous single board grey version of Gigawing that had me tempted - haven't seen another one since.

I've been trying to get one of those grey Gigawing boards for a while now, they're pretty hard to come across.

I've 6 or 7 CPS2 boards and they're just too big to be buying loads of. I may try to offload some of my fighter ones to make more room for shooters.

keithgeo wrote: »
    Cool, thanks a lot, ill get to it eventually, its one of those things i keep putting of, appreciate the offer.

Just make sure the battery isn't leaking the corrosion when they leak will ruin your board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

I've had an eye out for Gigawing board for the last year, or Mars Matrix
    Hard to come by at a good price They seem to go for mad money.
    I'd love to get A cps3 setup for SFIII..Playing it on original hardware would be a dream for a Street fighter lover,Just don't know if I could justify the price

Advertisement