Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

no sound....Dell inspirion 1520

Options
  • 02-04-2013 12:56pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭

Hi, I've lost the sound on my laptop, I checked the drivers and the hardware, it shows that its OK....any ideas? Also I cannot get updates from Microsoft....its running vista

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Doom wrote: »
    Hi, I've lost the sound on my laptop, I checked the drivers and the hardware, it shows that its OK....any ideas? Also I cannot get updates from Microsoft....its running vista

Have you checked nothing is muted in the volume control? Click the volume control icon in the system tray, click mixer and make sure all are unmuted.
    Are you receiving any errors when you are attempting to update Windows?

Nick

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Yip, checked all the sound settings, it will not work even if you plug in headphones. On the windows updates, I got a long number for the error and tried a patch, but didn't download properly either.

Yip, checked all the sound settings, it will not work even if you plug in headphones. On the windows updates, I got a long number for the error and tried a patch, but didn't download properly either.

Are you on Vista Service Pack 1 or 2?

Nick

I cannot see it in (SP2) previous downloaded updates, so I downloaded direct from Microsoft. When I run it, it tells me it's already installed, where can I check this on computer? Could it be a corrupt download, can I delete it and reinstall?

I cannot see it in (SP2) previous downloaded updates, so I downloaded direct from Microsoft. When I run it, it tells me it's already installed, where can I check this on computer? Could it be a corrupt download, can I delete it and reinstall?

Click Start>Right click Computer>Properties. Does it say Service Pack 2 there? If it does SP2 is installed. What is the exact error code Windows update is giving you?

Nick

• Advertisement

OK, I have SP2, thanks...I will post error code

Error(s) found Code 8024402F....any ideas?

Error(s) found Code 8024402F....any ideas?

I had this error before and switching the DNS servers to Google DNS ( see here) fixed it iirc. Give it a go and see :)

Nick

Advertisement