Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is not told but is suggested

Options
  • 02-04-2013 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,500 ✭✭✭✭

I think this is an important point, but I do no know how to conceptualise it maybe some one could help me.

As far as I can tell information can never be Ideological free, because we can never really escape out culture so any discourse we engage in is shaped by the culture we live and have our being in.

For example the discussion about the spun out site and the threesomes, The site presents the information in a non judgemental bias free way an is basically saying we have no opinion on this matter its just information HOWEVER presenting information in a non judgemental and bias free was is an Ideology it is the Ideology of liberalism so therefore I have come the conclusion no information can ever be ideological free it is alway biased one way or another, its just that some Ideologies are more hidden that others.

I do not have a problem with liberalism as a value system as it seem the most logical one to me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭18AD

mariaalice wrote: »
    I think this is an important point, but I do no know how to conceptualise it maybe some one could help me.

As far as I can tell information can never be Ideological free, because we can never really escape out culture so any discourse we engage in is shaped by the culture we live and have our being in.

For example the discussion about the spun out site and the threesomes, The site presents the information in a non judgemental bias free way an is basically saying we have no opinion on this matter its just information HOWEVER presenting information in a non judgemental and bias free was is an Ideology it is the Ideology of liberalism so therefore I have come the conclusion no information can ever be ideological free it is alway biased one way or another, its just that some Ideologies are more hidden that others.

I do not have a problem with liberalism as a value system as it seem the most logical one to me.

Such an action as writing that article has in itself ideological implications. It is not just that the information is presented as non-bias. The article isn't just some non-opinions but an act. To publish a story on threesomes. That has social meaning as is evident by the reaction it has garnered.

The idea that non-bias is in itself an ideology is interesting. It seems to be a problem whether anything can truely be value free. Do you think that's possible? Do you not think that writing in a value free way is distinguishable from, say, an emotive piece of propaganda?

I'm not sure I understand how you equate liberalism with non-bias reporting.

Someone like Zizek makes the point that pretty much everything is ideology. Things that purport not to be ideology are more likely to be ideology. He has an amusing segment on toilets:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Nothing that we write or say is value free (Max Weber).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,500 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Of course there is a difference between something written or communicated in an oblivious ideological way or in an emotive way and something written or communicated in a non biased way.

The difference is that anyone communicating in non biased way often will not see ( or chooses no to see ) the ideology and often say if pushed in argument we are just providing information it up every one to make up there own minds on an individual bias where as anyone communicating in ideological way is usually up front with the ideology.

If we take it as true that nothing is ever value free, then the values information is being communicated in should be stated.

The only problem is that when you are debating with someone who believes information is capable of being communicated in a bias free way, they cling very fiercely to the idea that there is no ideology behind the information and its every body else who had an agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭MaxWig

mariaalice wrote: »
    Of course there is a difference between something written or communicated in an oblivious ideological way or in an emotive way and something written or communicated in a non biased way.

The difference is that anyone communicating in non biased way often will not see ( or chooses no to see ) the ideology and often say if pushed in argument we are just providing information it up every one to make up there own minds on an individual bias where as anyone communicating in ideological way is usually up front with the ideology.

If we take it as true that nothing is ever value free, then the values information is being communicated in should be stated.

This is when ideology is at its most blatant surely - when there is an implicit 'understanding' at work, that one feels is not worth mentioning .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement