Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Steam Clean anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

I can see the attraction for getting your bike done by someone else and having it so nice and clean but I must say I love cleaning my own bike!

I know I don't get to it as often as I would like but still, I would much rather get to it myself when ever I get the chance.

Although steam clean does seem it has done a good job and paying €65 for one bike wash is very pricey.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Simona1986 wrote: »
    Looks good, how much did it set you back?

Ok guys I was in contact with the guy Fady from Speedy Steam, and I asked him would he do a special deal for boardsies. He said for anyone who wants to drop on to him he'll do a full steam clean and get all the grime off your bike for €15. I'll post another photo of my bike but I'm very happy with the results.
    He has not website yet but his details are here: http://dublin.ratemyarea.com/places/speedy-steam-136663

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

€15 is definitely the kind of price I'd have in mind for this sort of cleaning job, not €65.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Zascar wrote: »
    Ok guys I was in contact with the guy Fady from Speedy Steam, and I asked him would he do a special deal for boardsies. He said for anyone who wants to drop on to him he'll do a full steam clean and get all the grime off your bike for €15. I'll post another photo of my bike but I'm very happy with the results.
    He has not website yet but his details are here: http://dublin.ratemyarea.com/places/speedy-steam-136663

Well done on getting a good price out of him.

€15 is worth it for a clean bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Zascar wrote: »

Jaysus that's good. Does it include the ACF treatment as well?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

I think your confusing the two people who do the cleaning.
    The chap thats offered it for €15 just does a steam clean. No chemicals or any other stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

KTRIC wrote: »
    Jaysus that's good. Does it include the ACF treatment as well?

I think the ACF treatment is included from the other crowd which is more like bike detailing but costs €65

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

goodlad wrote: »
    I think your confusing the two people who do the cleaning.
    The chap thats offered it for €15 just does a steam clean. No chemicals or any other stuff.

Sorry, thought it was the same guy. Sure I don't see the point in the 15 quid offer then. Nothing a quick wash wouldn't do yourself.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Sorry, thought it was the same guy. Sure I don't see the point in the 15 quid offer then. Nothing a quick wash wouldn't do yourself.

No way dude its way way better than a normal wash. Depends on how dirty your bike is but mine had loafs of thick gunk on the underside which was very hard to shift with a powerhouse or a bucket and cloth. Personally it's a steal at 15 euro, not having to bother scrubbing it yourself. Some do, I'm just lazy :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,403 ✭✭✭positron

Zascar, do you have to ring and book a session before hand or is it just ride in and join the queue sort of thing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Would be funny is we all arrive down on 10 Honda Goldwings.....cheap with take a heart attack.

This thread has me on a cleaning buzz!
    I was ordering my back/chest protector lastnight and i ended up also ordering a load of bike cleaning stuff and some brushes to get into the niggle spots.

Damn all this cleaning talk! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,210 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

I'd avoid something like that, unless the man doing the cleaning is well aware that bikes are nowhere as well sealed as cars. I myself find cleaning a bike, not that I was able for months for medical reasons, relaxing.

I'd avoid something like that, unless the man doing the cleaning is well aware that bikes are nowhere as well sealed as cars. I myself find cleaning a bike, not that I was able for months for medical reasons, relaxing.

Yeah it can be relaxing. Nothing like spending a few hours cleaning the bike and then going for 1 spin and its manky again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    So much for freedom of speech.....well we have unless a mod does not agree. :rolleyes:

Not the type of posts we encourage on this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭cycocycle

Basic common sense stuff and a couple of handy hints. Always clean my own bike so Im more involved with it. Potential issues can be spotted more quickly for instance.

Finally got around to getting my SV done there today. He said it would take 20 min but it was a good 35min before he was finished. Pretty happy with the results alright, will just ACF50 it myself. Pics attached
    imag0258d.jpg
    imag0257k.jpg
    imag0256p.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,403 ✭✭✭positron

Wow!! How dirty was it before wash? I am kinda embarrassed to take it somewhere like this because my bike is that dirty - for instance I would have a solid 2mm layer of oily grime all over the swing arm.

positron wrote: »
    Wow!! How dirty was it before wash?
    It was pretty dirty alright, the top plastics were clean but the rear hugger and the swingarm had a fair bit of that nasty greasy dirt that's a pain to clean. I'll probably get this done once a year or so and keep on top of it with normal washes other than that. It's definitely worth €15 if you've let it slide for a while.
    You can grab a bite to eat in the hotel while you're waiting as there's nothing really within walking distance so you can be stood around for a while.

Great stuff! Looks great. Mine is no longer shiny filthy from all the riding in the rain this week :( Want to get it redone. Might look into that ACF50 stuff too.

It's worth going over the whole bike with WD40 before and after a steam clean just to be very sure no water gets in anywhere it shouldn't

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

positron wrote: »
    Wow!! How dirty was it before wash? I am kinda embarrassed to take it somewhere like this because my bike is that dirty - for instance I would have a solid 2mm layer of oily grime all over the swing arm.

There's no point in paying someone to wash a clean bike, the dirtier it is the quicker you pay ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭AD!

Anyone know a cleaning company in Cork?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Was thinking the same myself. Just a steam clean you'd do yourself for under half that. €6 is what I'd put into the steam cleaner I use. And if you're wearing all your waterproofs, you stay dry.

I was assuming the €65 guys give it a serious clean and polish all the bits and bobs. I'd rather pay that for a serious job than just a pricey steam clean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Cienciano wrote: »
    I was assuming the €65 guys give it a serious clean and polish all the bits and bobs. I'd rather pay that for a serious job than just a pricey steam clean.

No way I'd pay anyone 65 quid to clean my bike, tbh if I'd that to throw at something I'd replace all visible nuts, bolts and screws with new.

A pot of boiling water, soda powder (washing powder) a dish brush, tooth brush, sponge and rinse the f*ck to get the soda powder off and your bike will be spic & span in 30 minutes.

After that I'd only use soda powder occasionally.

No way I'd pay anyone 65 quid to clean my bike, tbh if I'd that to throw at something I'd replace all visible nuts, bolts and screws with new.

A pot of boiling water, soda powder (washing powder) a dish brush, tooth brush, sponge and rinse the f*ck to get the soda powder off and your bike will be spic & span in 30 minutes.

After that I'd only use soda powder occasionally.

What time is best for me to drop my bike down to you for a clean?

What time is best for me to drop my bike down to you for a clean?

Do you really find it a chore?.

I used to like doing it when I lived in a house. Hose, box of cleaning products, hot water all in the garage right beside where I clean it.
    But in an apartment now an it's a pain to drag stuff downstairs to the underground car park. Definitely a chore now.

I used to like doing it when I lived in a house. Hose, box of cleaning products, hot water all in the garage right beside where I clean it.
    But in an apartment now an it's a pain to drag stuff downstairs to the underground car park. Definitely a chore now.

I get you now, thats a pain in the hole alright.

If you were off tomorrow you'd be more than welcome to use my garden and get stuck in because I'll be doing mine.

Normally I get stuck in on Friday or Saturday but one of the lads was killed in a motorcycle crash yesterday so I'll be attending his funeral Saturday morning ~ and the bike will be sparking.

RIP Riggs.

Hey next time you see me parked on the quays park up and say HI ~ we don't bike :pac:

New baba in my house, finally coming home from hospital tomorrow. For the laugh I'll tell the wife I'm off to some guys gaff to wash my bike. This could be my last post ever on boards :pac:
    Cheers for the offer though.

Read about the lad in Kildare, only 30 :(
    RIP

• Advertisement

New baba in my house, finally coming home from hospital tomorrow. For the laugh I'll tell the wife I'm off to some guys gaff to wash my bike. This could be my last post ever on boards :pac:
    Cheers for the offer though.

Read about the lad in Kildare, only 30 :(
    RIP

Congrats :)

Yup thats the lad.

Advertisement