Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Steam Clean anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Do you really find it a chore?.

It really does depend mate....one man's meat is another man's poison. I am not into cleaning my bike TBH But I love to service it.

It depends on other factors too, if you have 4 screaming kids looking to go to the park (which I dont) then finding the time and the frame of mind to clean a bike is way down the list.

A wipe with the vulcanets when I can does the job and then the serious clean when you see the heavy grime. ;)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I hate cleaning my bike - it's a pain in my ass. I also live in an apartment so its not as easy as if you have a house or garage etc. Mainly though this steam cleaner lifts off the absolutely caked on grease and tar that I could not get off myself last time I tried. Yes, I could spend several hours on my hands and knees, scrubbing it with a toothbrush - or I could give someone else a small few quid to do a better job than I could. For me it's a no brainer. Depends how much you value your time really vs doing a job you hate. Fady spent 45 minutes on mine - for €15 that's a steal. It was gleaming, I wish I had taken more photos. I'll get it done again and post some then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    It really does depend mate....one man's meat is another man's poison. I am not into cleaning my bike TBH But I love to service it.

It depends on other factors too, if you have 4 screaming kids looking to go to the park (which I dont) then finding the time and the frame of mind to clean a bike is way down the list.

I know, I wasn't always a middle aged BMW rider who had the time after the kids grew up and went off to college ;)

I've to wash the son's Mitsi Mivec in awhile :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,389 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Zascar wrote: »
    It's worth going over the whole bike with WD40 before and after a steam clean just to be very sure no water gets in anywhere it shouldn't

A direct hit from the jet would just blast the WD40 away anyway.
    WD40 dissolves grease and isn't a good lubricant itself (after it dries out) so WD40 getting into your bearings is nearly as bad as water imho.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

ninja900 wrote: »
    A direct hit from the jet would just blast the WD40 away anyway.
    WD40 dissolves grease and isn't a good lubricant itself (after it dries out) so WD40 getting into your bearings is nearly as bad as water imho.

The steam cleaner thing isn't quite a jet though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

And also he knows where not to go near, areas already mentioned that are delicate etc. You can be more precise with a steam nozzle than with a jet washer spray

Guys there is a website up now: SpeedySteam - Motorbike Valet - I'm going to get mine done again today, will post up some better pix. As I mentioned previously he's done a discount for boardsies - €15 - well worth it if you are lazy like me :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

vespaclean-1.jpg
    My scooter after a professional clean at Bewleys Hotel Sandyford (basement carpark) all for 15 euro. Steam clean only used, no chemicals! I'm pretty happy with the results and would recommend them, don't forget to mention Boards.ie discount...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Down here gettin my cb500 done, its manky. Havent washed it in 2 years. Im gonna leave the lads to it and grab a coffee upstairs. Seem very thorough so far.

Down here gettin my cb500 done, its manky. Havent washed it in 2 years. Im gonna leave the lads to it and grab a coffee upstairs. Seem very thorough so far.

Post some before and after pix!

• Advertisement

I actually feel a bit guilty that he only charged 15 for it. I bought the bike about
    3 years ago and washed it once in that time. (used to be a courier :D ), so there was some accumulation of oil and oomska on it. It took him over an hour!!
    Didn't take any before pics as it was lashing when I headed out, was pleasanlty surprised to find my wheels are in fact gold :D

That crap on the ground is mine !

b3NiCwEl.jpg

I would deffo get this done periodically, say every 3 mths maybe sooner in the winter months...inbetween my own little cleans. If there was a huge build up of gunk then it seems like the job TBH.

Well worth the money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

I recognise the bike Skill Magill - we must work in the same place :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

Does anyone know opening hours of this place?

Mon - Fri: 8:30 a.m. to 16:30 p.m.
    Sat - Sun: 11:00 a.m. to 15:00 p.m.

Great, thank you Zascar!

Let us know how you get on - post some pix.

Has anyone else been in? I was in chatting with him again last week - he's getting a new website done and planning a loyalty card with discounts. I just said I'd help pass him any business I can - he was sound enough to organise the deal for bikes. I'm not really on any other forums but I'd like to help get the word out to others also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Has anyone else been in? I was in chatting with him again last week - he's getting a new website done and planning a loyalty card with discounts. I just said I'd help pass him any business I can - he was sound enough to organise the deal for bikes. I'm not really on any other forums but I'd like to help get the word out to others also.

His site is up and running, mind you he could have picked a decent bike to advertise with. The state of this bucket :D

http://speedysteam.ie/index.php/gallery/2013-04-06-12-19-27/

Planning to get out there tomorrow morning so I will do before and after pix. I only washed the bike twice since I got it nearly 2 years ago and I am daily commuter so hoping this can be a way forward.

I just don't have the space or time I'd like to do my own cleaning as I would love to do it myself.

So as mentioned I went and got the clean, but as I had few close shaves with idiots on the road by the time I got there I completely forgot about the pictures. So unfortunately no before pictures. Then when it was done I decided it was pointless to do after pictures as you don't really get to see the difference.

For the €15 that they charge for Boards members I would say the wash was worth it, however it left me a little short of being impressed. At the first glance I would have said "WOW, this is great" but after looking a bit closer I was left slightly disappointed.

Basically, the main bike body was washed, steel frame ( I've unfaired Bandit ) was done, swing arm was done..... From what I can see that was it.

The bits that left me disappointed are the mirrors (although the actual mirror was done, the mirror arms were not) and the under tray which were not touched at all. There were few more bits left partially washed as well.

Not sure if I just had a very high expectation from the reviews so far or I was expecting a lot more than what this is supposed to give but that is where I am now.

Would I recommend or use the guys again? ABSOLUTELY

I think for the money you pay and what you get they are very good for lifting most of the dirt off and especially for someone who commutes on the bike daily and does not have all that time to clean the bike, however there was still another hour worth of cleaning on the bike that I would have done (if i had the time) to get the bike the way I would want it. Their 30min wash would have saved me at least 2-3 hours.

All in all, for €15, it is very good value!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭KT10

Pristine Valet in Greenouge Industrial Estate do bikes for €10, Derek is the lad that runs it and is a biker himself so he knows what he's at. Takes his time and does a brilliant job, uses proper bike cleaners and polishes etc.

086 369 3443

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

Got mine done again today.

Took some before/after pictures but they aren't great.
    Before:
    ll5i.jpg
    k1ba.jpg

After:
    2mvx.jpg
    u7mq.jpg
    t6bg.jpg
    pp36.jpg

Still €15 ?

Yep it is. I know him well now so just say Boards.ie or tell him Colin sent you and he'll sort you out!

Yep it is. I know him well now so just say Boards.ie or tell him Colin sent you and he'll sort you out!

Where abouts is this again....up at Newlands X the bewleys hotel is it? Deffo gonna get it done over the next week or so.

Na its the Bewleys in Leopardstown

Any excuse for a spin...lol, although the bike would be manky again I get home to Meath.

:rolleyes:

He opens till 3pm on a sat, maybe we could do a Wicklow spin and get the bikes cleaned at at the end?

• Advertisement

Aha, the plot thickes. I will get the wheels in motion (pardon the pun).

Advertisement