Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beat a game from your backlog this March: April Edition

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Angron wrote: »
    I played it with a friend before, and I couldn't finish it. After a few levels I kinda just wanted to hit him cause he seemed determined to try and make my robot die.

Sure that's half the fun! I remember one part where you have to control a maze from the side while other player runs through. You can very easily take the floor from underneath him at multiple points. We were "stuck" on that puzzle for almost an hour.

I would gladly play the co-op again with someone and I'll let them figure out the puzzles for themselves. Its one of the best gaming experiences I had that year

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Yeah, it's fun figuring it out, but when your friend is dicking you over for no reason for the 20th time in as many minutes your patience wears thin, especially when you have figured out the puzzle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

Decided to play through planescape torment really enjoying it so far although my guys seems to like running backwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Playing Super Metroid for the first time and it definitely lives up to the hype, loving it so far. Shadow Complex is probably my favourite XBLA game and I can now see that just about every idea in that game was ripped from/inspired by this game!

Still going with Far Cry 3 and Chrono Trigger from my February list, Far Cry hasn't been touched in weeks so must get it finished soon, steady progress being made with Chrono Trigger

Also given in and gone back to Super Meat Boy for yet another frustration filled attempt to beat the game, no hope of getting it finished but making painstakingly slow progress at clearing levels

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,853 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Beat saints row 3, that last mission is a nightmare. Trying to finish dead space 2 but the last few chapters have been torture, constant enemies. Playing through black ops 2 campaign too, skipping those awful strike force missions though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Got World of Goo on Wiiware all those aeons ago and never got to finish it. It's a fantastic game, got it on steam sometime, no clue exactly when, but I intend to finish it this month. Or at least make significant progress in it.

Anno 2070, is a pure beast of a game, want to beat the single player campaign but started a continuous game and it's over 17hours long already and I just don't want to finish it. :o

Started Bit Trip Runner tonight. It's fun, but I don't know if I'll ever be able to finish it. Intention is to go as far as I can.

Got several puzzles left to do in English Country Tune. It's quality design, but some puzzles really are very taxing, so it's a slow progress style of game. Attempt puzzle. Take a break. Attempt same puzzle. Take a break. Attempt puzzle. Facepalm at obvious solution. Rinse. Repeat.

I've got Braid hanging around with ages, just don't like the keyboard controls. The game is good fun, but the controls being limited to keyboard are quite annoying. Which is kind of ironic, considering I beat Super Meat Boy using a keyboard. :o I guess, the difference was you could rebind those keys.

Hitman : Blood Money. Still waiting for download to finish. It's taking forever. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Kid icarus - Loved it

Far Cry 3- was fun at the start , turned into bull**** non sense very quickly but was worth playing

Donkey Kong bet - that game at the end is really hard

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,700 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

I picked up Chaser a while ago on Steam and finally got around to finishing it.

It has to be a top 5 contender for "worst ending in video game history"

I will NEVER play it again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

folan wrote: »
    ive never beaten the 2 player campaign. im thinking i might have to hire a hooker to play through it with me so i can be sure i dont get an idiot who'll ruin every puzzle on me. .

I might be up for a coop play.(not a hooker!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭bluestripe93

Loads of stuff to play right now, I'm playing through Arkham City GOTY on the PS3 now really good so far but I'm stuck on the Mr Freeze boss fight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Loads of stuff to play right now, I'm playing through Arkham City GOTY on the PS3 now really good so far but I'm stuck on the Mr Freeze boss fight

The game gives you a list of tactict to use against him but they can each be used once. once he falls over, run towards him and beat the s£$% out of him until he gets up again. then repeat a few times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Shameful to say this but I've never played any of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series

Currently downloading at 6.2 MB/sec and going to rectify this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,711 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I said I wouldn't buy another game until game until I beat the stuff on my list.

Now I'm after buying Pokemon Black 2.

WHYYYYYY

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Cause Pokemon is awesome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I had an Amanita weekend it seems. Started and finished Samorost 2, which took less than an hour. I liked it so much, I decided to play the original Samorost (free browser based game). Then I played and completed Botanicula.

Protip: Fill your backlog with short adventure games to feel like you're actually getting somewhere :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

I've come up with the crazy goal of playing through the mass effect series on insane, in one life (excluding the start of me2)...but with the new swtor expansion early access starting tomorrow, it seems unlikely that i'll get all of it done this month...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

So many games I don't even know where to start. Perhaps Mark of the Ninja would be a good bet? Only played the first level essentially, but I was really enjoying it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

So many games I don't even know where to start. Perhaps Mark of the Ninja would be a good bet? Only played the first level essentially, but I was really enjoying it!

I actually picked that up again last night after playing the 1st few levels when it came out. It has all the components of a great game. Slick controls, looks really good. It's relatively casual but the one thing that puts me off is the multitude of upgrades and various options. This could be considered a positive but I would have preferred if they had toned it back a bit and focused on the gameplay itself. A strange complaint, I agree.

I'll try finish it but it just doesn't have me wanting to go back as opposed to something like Trials or Shadow Complex which were "simpler" in that regard, more what I want from an Arcade title.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Made a start on "Spec Ops: The Line," last night. Just got pass the
    white phosphorus mortar
    bit. Man the plot line is absolutely drenched in brutality.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Finished Bioshock 2 over the weekend, why oh why did I leave that game gathering dust for 2 years before playing it :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,171 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Tomb Raider done so may move on to a Wii game next

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

I'm a little less than half way through Luigi's mansion on Gamecube and Donkey Kong Country Returns on Wii. Really enjoying them both so want to find the time to finish them this month.

My pile of shame is so ridiculous these days, that I stopped worrying about it long ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Beat Dark Souls twice with two characters running in tandem, about to complete it a third time but with much less hours pumped into it (first 2 characters were first playthroughs)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,166 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Playing through:

Uncharted 3 (PS3) - Fun game, looks really good. Cant ask for much more really. I'm a decent bit into this.

Sleeping Dogs (PC) - Also seems like a great game. Not too far into this

Hoping to get back to:
    Shadow of Colossus (Ps3) - About 5 Colossi in, although I've got this far on the Ps2, the PC (emulating PS2) and never stuck it out. dont know why I stop, I really like it!

Hoping to start:
    Walking Dead (PC - Telltale one) - Have never watched walking dead, but it sounds pretty good so I'll try give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

I've got the weekend to myself, missus is away, so I have some time to get some serious work done...

Going to try and get through, Crisis 3(close to the end), GOW3 (played a few hours), and Bioshock Infinite (havent started).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Not going good for me, have a crap load of college work to get done so not playing much. Nearly finished Resi 6 but Shin Megami Tensei Strange Journey is looking horrifyingly tempting.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,399 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I started pushing through Dark Souls on PC. With the DSFix and DSMFix utils installed, it barely reaches the level of a game from 10 years ago. It's absolutely mind boggling that something in such a bad state could have been released. Almost every part of the game is broken, from basic design, to the GUI, to the engine. It seems that at no point of its port to PC did anyone take the time to even start the game just once. The controls are almost surreal in their choice, and despite changing them, it'll still tell you to press the A button on a Playstation gamepad since they were too lazy to change the button graphics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Finished World of Goo. Fantastic game. The latter levels in particular were excellent. Only one level really irked and that required you build an unstable really long bridge between two really narrow platforms that were some distance apart. The level irked me because by the stage you come across you'll most likely have the foundations of good goo building nailed. Then the game expects you to lay a structure with a foundation that will collapse over to one side. Try as hard as I could, getting the structure to deliberately collapse proved a sort of counter intuitive headache. Typical, you spend most of the game preventing structures from collapsing and then when you're given the easy enough task of building one that will collapse when it's long enough you find it very very difficult to collapse the darn thing!
    It's just a shame the game is so short. :(
    May try to get OCD in all levels, but not sure yet.

Completed the first zone in Bit Trip Runner. Fun enough game, but there was one level so far that was wayyyy too long and smacked a bit of trial and error. In fact, the game does have that vibe where memory of what obstacle coming next seems the only way complete something. It's a shame too because if you're doing a level for the first few times and trying to just react to obstacles the game is exhilarating. Once memory comes into play the game loses a lot of its charm.

Completely a few more puzzles in English Country, boy! Are they tough. But the satisfaction you get from solving them is something else.

Haven't touched Braid. Can't stand the keyboard configuration and too lazy at the moment to research if rebinding keys is possible. Gonna start Puddle instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Finished Dark Souls, might try finish off Valkyria Chronicles 2 after
    finally getting past the defending Lanseal mission

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭RedXIV

After poor efforts in March and Feb, I've finished Gravity Rush and Tomba! in the last week or so, half way through The Walking Dead, its nice to be actually making a dent in the backlog :D

Advertisement