Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tunnel from Dublin to Holyhead

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭Vic_08

By the time such an enthusiasts wet dream is built the Irish railway system will have been cut back to a bare Greater Dublin Commuter network: Dublin/Bray; Dublin/Dundalk (maybe); Dublin/Kildare and Dublin/Maynooth. Of course the resulting greenways could then be taken back from the cyclists/walkers etc. and turned into high speed 4ft 8.5" gauge lines.......

Nah, just equip all the cyclists with one of these High Speed Greenway, job done.

I'd be betting a 500m high trebuchet to launch punters over the Irish Sea is more likely than this tunnel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Figel2

Undersea connections have advanced since Chunnle and now roads and railways are lain upon the seabed(Pusan fixed link) .A fixed link should have 4 lanes of roads and 4 lanes of track .That is 2 high speed lines and 2 freight lines .

A fixed link to Whales should run from the north of Bray to the south of Holyhead a total length of 95 kilometres with 3 artificial islands to provide rest and ventilation . This will mean that 4 tunnels will be built at the same time their by speeding up construction .

The islands should be made with a curtain wall with one gate at the top and 2 holes near the bottom so you can float in tunnel segments and push them against the end of the tunnel completing them .

Once the Tunnels have been completed the islands can be filled with either backfill or buildings which ever is more valuable .

Their should be 2 factories one in Whales and one in Ireland providing work to two disadvantaged areas.

Total cost would be about 70 Billion and take about 15 years from start to finish .

Real nice jobs program program funded by Europe.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭kidneyfan

Would Larne Stranraer not make more sense for a tunnel?
    Or go via Isle of Man? Dundalk , I of M, Blackpool

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

kidneyfan wrote: »

Is there not a deep trench there?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,638 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Certainly a shorter tunnel, but would Dublin/London traffic want to divert via Scotland.

Or go via Isle of Man? Dundalk , I of M, Blackpool

That would be longer than Dublin-Hollyhead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,638 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Is there not a deep trench there?

and (if my failing memory serve me) the trench was a dumping ground for munitions after WWII.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,651 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I'd say it'll be a cold day in hell before we see the EU give us €70 billion to build a tunnel. . Ryanair need not worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

ClovenHoof wrote: »
    Dublin is not a small city.

It's a large city. It is not a SUPERCITY like London. Dublin is roughly comparable to Amsterdam, Boston, Oslo, Helsinki, Vienna, Prague and Barcelona.

Enough of this 'Dublin Small City 1970's Sean Barrett' mantra.

^^^ This 'small city' outdated mantra is the reason why Dublin does not have the vast public transport systems of Amsteerdam, Boston, Oslo, Helsinki Vienna, Prague and Barcelona

Boston? Are you high??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,460 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Maybe we could do a metro first.. Just as warmup mind -

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭BonkeyDonker

Markcheese wrote: »
    Maybe we could do a metro first.. Just as warmup mind -

Or start the Metro at the airport, turn a bit to the left and keep going?? Probably as much chance of that happening

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Or even start the tunnel west of Heuston and take a rest west of Pearse, turning north at Docklands. After a few years, start again, this time at SSG and head north towards Belfast, stopping for a breather at the Airport. Having done all this, perhaps reconsider the proposal.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Lot of speculation on this thread with people pulling cost figures out of the air and going on about the number of jobs that would be created during construction as if that matters.

Engineers Ireland put out a white paper about 8 years ago that ruled out Dublin-Holyhead on geological grounds. A tunnel would be Rosslare-Pembroke and the inland routing would probably be Rosslare-Waterford-Kilkenny-Portlaoise-Dublin.

Technical and cost issues aren't what would be spanners to the plan though. It's quite simply a numbers game and Ireland doesn't add up. The entire population of the island is only 6 million of which 2-3 are potential users (due to being close enough to one of the planned stations). London and Paris serve a combined immediate catchment of nearly 20 million.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,471 ✭✭✭cgcsb

The populations are of little consequence, the international trade and movement of persons between those countries is the key demand indicator. Half of Dublin Airport's 23 million passengers are travelling to the UK per year. You also have vast amounts of cargo on ships that could be moved faster and cheaper by rail freight through a tunnel. The length of the tunnel required is the main challenge, but technology is improving.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

cgcsb wrote: »
    The populations are of little consequence, the international trade and movement of persons between those countries is the key demand indicator. Half of Dublin Airport's 23 million passengers are travelling to the UK per year. You also have vast amounts of cargo on ships that could be moved faster and cheaper by rail freight through a tunnel. The length of the tunnel required is the main challenge, but technology is improving.

Just to point out that ships are by far the cheapest way to deliver freight.

They aren't fast, but they are cheap. If you want fast then flying is the quickest method.

And by doing this you save yourself the billions of cost of building a tunnel.

To be honest the whole idea is ridiculous, we are increasingly looking like we won't even be able to start far more important projects like Dart Underground and Metro North and people are dreaming about super expensive undersea tunnels :rolleyes:

bk wrote: »

They aren't fast, but they are cheap. If you want fast then flying is the quickest method.

I wouldn't be so sure that flying is faster than high speed rail for short/medium distances. Rail also combines bulk (and therfore lower cost) with speed
    To be honest the whole idea is ridiculous, we are increasingly looking like we won't even be able to start far more important projects like Dart Underground and Metro North and people are dreaming about super expensive undersea tunnels :rolleyes:

Obviously it's not practical in the short term, it is a thread about a hypothetical scenario, and I'd assume that Ireland's infrastructure would be greatly improved before such a scenario could be given serious consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,458 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Half of Dublin Airport's 23 million passengers are travelling to the UK per year.
    How many of those have the UK as their final destination, and how many are only flying there to fly onwards to other destinations not served directly by Dublin? A tunnel won't have any effect on the first category.

Alun wrote: »
    How many of those have the UK as their final destination, and how many are only flying there to fly onwards to other destinations not served directly by Dublin? A tunnel won't have any effect on the first category.

I'd imagine the % of people going to Heathrow to connect is dropping because of BA's high prices and the addition of many more routes to Dublin. Turkish airlines, emirates, lufthansa and Iberia now offer excellent connectivity and are better value than BA. When Dublin get's a second runway capable of accommodating flights from China I'd expect that % to plummet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I wouldn't be so sure that flying is faster than high speed rail for short/medium distances.

I think the poster was referring to freight. There's very little high speed rail freight. and there won't be any in west Wales

I think the poster was referring to freight. There's very little high speed rail freight. and there won't be any in west Wales

freight travels through Europe on trains at 200km/h+

How much freight though? Article I saw mentioned 120 tonnes on a whole train from Kent to Lyon... that's 3 lorry loads....

• Advertisement

And by doing this you save yourself the billions of cost of building a tunnel.

This is dart underground. Tag on at Lansdowne Road and Tag off at the Stade de France. 25 minutes in a frictionless hypertrain.

I wouldn't be so sure that flying is faster than high speed rail for short/medium distances. Rail also combines bulk (and therfore lower cost) with speed

Obviously it's not practical in the short term, it is a thread about a hypothetical scenario, and I'd assume that Ireland's infrastructure would be greatly improved before such a scenario could be given serious consideration.

Why not a space elevator

Why not a space elevator

Ah here, sher they only work from a spot on the equator... :P
    We could just build a tunnel there first I suppose.

Why not a space elevator

why not, start a thread about it so.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,628 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Why not a space elevator
    That's better:

360789.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭random_guy

How much freight though? Article I saw mentioned 120 tonnes on a whole train from Kent to Lyon... that's 3 lorry loads....

2000+ tonne is fairly common through mainland Europe. There's a few ore/coal trains with 5000t or so (NL/DE). Maximum length is often the deciding factor.

random_guy wrote: »
    2000+ tonne is fairly common through mainland Europe. There's a few ore/coal trains with 5000t or so (NL/DE). Maximum length is often the deciding factor.
    At or greater than 200kmh?:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭random_guy

At or greater than 200kmh?:eek:

Never heard of that to be honest. Around half sounds about right.
    There's an exception for the TGV Postal but that's a bit different.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭Nermal

spacetweek wrote: »
    Engineers Ireland put out a white paper about 8 years ago that ruled out Dublin-Holyhead on geological grounds.

Had a look at the report and couldn't spot that - any more information?

• Advertisement

random_guy wrote: »
    Never heard of that to be honest. Around half sounds about right.
    There's an exception for the TGV Postal but that's a bit different.

cgcsb in post 170 mentioned freight at high speed.

Advertisement