Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tunnel from Dublin to Holyhead

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

kidneyfan wrote: »
    Why not a space elevator
    I've deleted your other post. If you want to discuss space elevators, start a thread.

Disruptive posting not welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Is there any project in the world similar in scale to this one? It's an interesting idea and as much as people want to rubbish it as never going to happen (which it probably won't) I have to say I like the idea of it at least. A train line from Belfast to London via Dublin would be appealing to a lot of potential users in Britain and Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭QuinDixie

This could be done but wont, it would take years and the costs would be billions and deaths would be high.
    Could you imagine the maintenance on that distance, that alone would cost millions per year.
    Its a non starter and no colour paper is going to change that.

QuinDixie wrote: »
    This could be done but wont, it would take years and the costs would be billions and deaths would be high.
    Could you imagine the maintenance on that distance, that alone would cost millions per year.
    Its a non starter and no colour paper is going to change that.

I'm not being a grammar nazi here but did you mean debts or deaths? It's not worth 1 death. It could be argued that the maintenance of the tunnel would create significant employment and generate increased tourism between Britain and Ireland which would also increase revenue. It would also have to be tolled which would also contribute towards maintenance?

I know this won't happen but it is interesting nonetheless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭StonyIron

I can't see it happening unless Ireland's population hits about 30 million.

The channel tunnel connects two massively populated areas probably about 30m in reach on the british side and close on 100m in Paris & NE France, Benelux and Northwestern Germany.

It's actually connecting England into what is basically the most densely populated and wealthiest, most economically active area in Europe. Other than the channel being there, Southern England is basically part of the same high density area.

It also connects a huge consumer market to high speed freight.

Ireland's not even in the same ballpark as this.

The alternative of connecting Larne to Scotland primarily focused on freight transport might actually make more sense.

The downside is location is too far north to be practical for passenger traffic and you'd require high speed rail links on both Ireland and Britain to make it even slightly viable. Aviation would still beat it on time and cost.

Northern Ireland's unstable politics wouldn't be too conducive to pumping money into it either.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Deedsie wrote: »
    Is there any project in the world similar in scale to this one? It's an interesting idea and as much as people want to rubbish it as never going to happen (which it probably won't) I have to say I like the idea of it at least. A train line from Belfast to London via Dublin would be appealing to a lot of potential users in Britain and Ireland.

Particularly if UK votes to leave the EU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭QuinDixie

I'm not being a grammar nazi here but did you mean debts or deaths? It's not worth 1 death. It could be argued that the maintenance of the tunnel would create significant employment and generate increased tourism between Britain and Ireland which would also increase revenue. It would also have to be tolled which would also contribute towards maintenance?

I know this won't happen but it is interesting nonetheless.

D E A T H S.
    Go be a momo somewhere else. I am all out if medals.

StonyIron wrote: »
    I can't see it happening unless Ireland's population hits about 30 million.

The channel tunnel connects two massively populated areas probably about 30m in reach on the british side and close on 100m in Paris & NE France, Benelux and Northwestern Germany.

It's actually connecting England into what is basically the most densely populated and wealthiest, most economically active area in Europe. Other than the channel being there, Southern England is basically part of the same high density area.

It also connects a huge consumer market to high speed freight.

Ireland's not even in the same ballpark as this.

The alternative of connecting Larne to Scotland primarily focused on freight transport might actually make more sense.

The downside is location is too far north to be practical for passenger traffic and you'd require high speed rail links on both Ireland and Britain to make it even slightly viable. Aviation would still beat it on time and cost.

Northern Ireland's unstable politics wouldn't be too conducive to pumping money into it either.

I think Ireland's population (Irish Republic) is expected to be 7 million in 2050 and Northern Ireland is expected to be 3 million. So the for the ~ 40th Dáil and the devolved Northern Ireland government in 2050 this could be a real debate.

10 million people in Ireland and another ~ 10 million British travellers to Ireland could make it a possibly more viable project?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I think Ireland's population (Irish Republic) is expected to be 7 million in 2050 and Northern Ireland is expected to be 3 million. So the for the ~ 40th Dáil and the devolved Northern Ireland government in 2050 this could be a real debate.

10 million people in Ireland and another ~ 10 million British travellers to Ireland could make it a possibly more viable project?

Even at that it's a non runner- there's decent ferry services serving all the way from South Wales to Scotland (there'd only be one tunnel ) and most people will still fly anyway !

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Markcheese wrote: »
    Even at that it's a non runner- there's decent ferry services serving all the way from South Wales to Scotland (there'd only be one tunnel ) and most people will still fly anyway !

Whatever about saying it's not viable, comparing a ferry to a tunnel is pointless -- both are not comparable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Markcheese

monument wrote: »
    Whatever about saying it's not viable, comparing a ferry to a tunnel is pointless -- both are not comparable.

Well obviously they're different - but as ways of getting a car or truck across the Irish Sea (or completing a rail journey) I'd say they're comparable - the last time I went England -France I compared ferry and euro tunnel -I went with a ferry -

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »

Of course it's a non runner. It's still an interesting proposal. Flying to the moon was not economically viable yet it was still a interesting project. Metro North is no longer financially viable, should we just stop discussing it now?

I don't think one person on this thread ever seriously sees this happening.

Surely Dunbur Head to Aberdaron would be the most sensible location for the tunnel? There would be plenty of land availability on both sides for a euro rail station etc? The E01 motorway from Larne to Rosslare would provide motorway access to the tunnel all along the East Coast of Ireland? The rail network would need to be upgraded between Belfast to Dunbur head.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

There is a very deep dyke to get past. You would be better looking at Rosslare to Fishguard with an artificial island on the sand banks on the way.

Tunnels and bridges could be used. Tunnels are not subject to weather but would be subject to fumes from motor vehicles (unless they are all electric by the time it gets built). Bridges are subject to weather but not fumes.

It is all far from likely, unless the EU pays for it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,580 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Japan and South Korea are considering a project like this one. If they go ahead with it, the experience will add greatly to the tunneling industry internationally, perhaps even reduce costs for such future projects.

Advertisement