Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noob Extract questions

Options
  • 02-04-2013 2:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭

Right so I’ve done a few kits now and everything has worked out fine so far but would like to move onto extract brewing and just have a couple of questions.

I’ve an 11.5 litre pot so I was thinking 3 litres for steeping, 3 for sparging, and the 3kg LME would take up probably what 2 litres? So that’s 8 litres which leaves room for any rising, would this be ok? If I add the whole 3kg of LME will it make the wort very thick as at the end of the boil the wort would probably be reduced? Is it the LME or the hops addition that make the wort rise?

This is going to sound like a stupid question but when the recipe calls for say a 15 min hop addition, is that 15 min into the boil or 15 min from the end of the boil?

I don’t have the money for a wort chiller right now so I was thinking of just placing the pot into the sink with cold water and ice or should I just put it straight into the fermenter and add cold water?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Devi wrote: »
    I was thinking 3 litres for steeping, 3 for sparging, and the 3kg LME would take up probably what 2 litres? So that’s 8 litres
    Your grain will absorb a fair bit so you'll get less than 8, but 3 and 3 sounds about right. I wouldn't go with less.
    If I add the whole 3kg of LME will it make the wort very thick as at the end of the boil the wort would probably be reduced?
    It's a good idea to split the extract additions, for better hop utilisation. One can at the start and the other half way through the boil perhaps.
    when the recipe calls for say a 15 min hop addition, is that 15 min into the boil or 15 min from the end of the boil?
    From the end, ie boiled for 15 minutes.
    I was thinking of just placing the pot into the sink with cold water and ice or should I just put it straight into the fermenter and add cold water?
    Both, I'd say. Chilling was always the most awkward bit, I found. Pitching onto wort that's a bit below the ideal temperature is better than leaving it to cool or pitching too warm, IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭mayto

You should be able to do the boil in a 11.5L pot but the wort could get concentrated and hop bitterness extraction will be less than a full boil. If you had another big pot and split the boil between the two it would be better. The wort usually foams up when coming to a boil but should subside after a minute or two. I find using a paddle and constantly lifting some foam keeps it under control. A 60 min addition usually means adding hops with 60 min left in boil,i.e. the start, 15 min usually means add hops with 15min left to zero when youturn heat off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭Devi

BeerNut wrote: »

It's a good idea to split the extract additions, for better hop utilisation. One can at the start and the other half way through the boil perhaps.

Both, I'd say. Chilling was always the most awkward bit, I found. Pitching onto wort that's a bit below the ideal temperature is better than leaving it to cool or pitching too warm, IMO

Cheers Beernut, so would it be the extract that causes the rise up?

So say chill for what 10 min then into the bin?

mayto wrote: »
    You should be able to do the boil in a 11.5L pot but the wort could get concentrated and hop bitterness extraction will be less than a full boil. If you had another big pot and split the boil between the two it would be better. The wort usually foams up when coming to a boil but should subside after a minute or two. I find using a paddle and constantly lifting some foam keeps it under control. A 60 min addition usually means adding hops with 60 min left in boil,i.e. the start, 15 min usually means add hops with 15min left to zero when youturn heat off.

So do you mean boil 1 x 1.5kg LME in the big pot with the hops, and 1 x 1.5kg in a second smaller pot with no hops?

would it be the extract that causes the rise up?
    Yes: when you're boiling extract there's a risk of boilover.
    So say chill for what 10 min then into the bin?
    You're on your own here. If you can get it below 50C before adding it to the fermenter you'll be doing well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

A wort chiller is essential, imo. Save up the money or you can make one for about €40. Losing 1 or 2 brews is going to cost the same amount.

If you're set on not getting one then I'd get some plastic tubs, sterilise, add boiled water, put the lid on and freeze them then add the the ice to the wort to chill. You'll need to use less water in the boil, which will effect hop utilisation but it's better than nothing.

irish_goat wrote: »
    Losing 1 or 2 brews is going to cost the same amount.

Is there that much of a risk? and where does the risk come from, contamination while waiting to cool?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

There's always a risk regardless, the idea is to chill the wort and get the yeast pitched so that it can establish itself as the dominant microorganism before anything else. Pro-longing the chilling time gives an opportunity for other yeasts/bacteria in the air.

Another tip is to sterilise the outside of some large plastic bottles, fill and freeze them and dunk those into the hot wort as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭mayto

So do you mean boil 1 x 1.5kg LME in the big pot with the hops, and 1 x 1.5kg in a second smaller pot with no hops?

Add half the hops to each pot if equal volumes, adjust if wort volumes are different. When the boil if finished add your wort to the sterlised fermenter and top up with cold water to recipe final brew volume if needed. If using leaf hops pour the wort through a sterilsed sieve to catch hops going into fermenter. Cool the fermenter to about 20C as quick as you can before adding the yeast.

Thanks for all the advice lads.

• Advertisement

Forgot, one more question with the steeping and sparging water, is it ok to cheat and use the kettle to heat the water to near boil or do you have to use the pot?

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fobster

Should you sparge steeping grains?

I've used the below guide when steeping.

http://www.jovialmonk.com.au/brewManual/Steeping_grains.pdf

So went ahead and done my first extract brew last night, everything went well but wow a lot of work compared to the kits, hopefully it will be worth it though.

Cooling was alright in the end, actually cooled it down a little too much, wort went down to 17 degrees with cold water added. I used the American pale ale deal from the homebrew company, the OG was a about 1.041 @ 17 degrees, but I only went to 21 litres so I might add more fermentables next time. Didnt strain the wort going into the fermentor, do you think that will come back to haunt me?

Bubbling away nicely here and smells nice and hoppy, think im hooked, already thinking about the next one. By the way do you guys keep the old muslin bags or throw them out after each brew?

Didnt strain the wort going into the fermentor, do you think that will come back to haunt me?
    Should be fine. The break material will just sink to the bottom of the fermenter.
    do you guys keep the old muslin bags or throw them out after each brew?
    A wash and dry, and it's ready to go again. I use cheesecloth and will get a dozen or so brews out of each one before it falls apart.

Advertisement