Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy free milk for tea

Options
  • 02-04-2013 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

I know there was a similar thread a few months back but the two recommendations were soy milk and coconut milk. I've had soy milk before and can't stand the stuff. It's not a case of getting used to it since I had to drink it for a few months and have tried sweetened, unsweetened and flavoured. I just think it has an awful aftertaste and the taste in general is too strong when using in other stuff for my liking.

I like coconut milk in general but it doesn't seem to work so well in tea for me. The tea tastes more like black tea and the milk seems to settle at the bottom if I don't keep stirring it. I also get left with a weird residue in my mouth.

I'm picky about tea so not expecting to find anything I like in it as much as cows milk but hoping to find something I can get used to. I know there's different herbal teas and I do plan to drink more of them but I would still like the odd cuppa now and then. I prefer something that won't flavour the tea too much but takes the edge of of it if you get me. I plan to try all the milks I can anyway but I'm an unemployed student so can't buy that many at once.

Edit: Wish you could change thread titles, it's non-dairy milk not dairy free...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

You could try almond milk or oat milk or also rice milk.
    I only really drink green teas/rooibos teas these days so can't say I have a need for milk in tea anymore. I did when I first started avoiding dairy try them all I think in tea. I think the winners for me were rice and coconut milk. Oat milk can be nice too but it does have a taste. It's like the milk left over after eating weetabix which could be great, if you like that....

I've never been a fan of soy, so I avoid that altogether. Try out some herbal teas, I find them far nicer than normal tea. Or try Rooibos it's kinda similar..

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭bedlamaticable

I second almond milk, I find it has the most subtle taste in tea and doesn't separate the way other milks like soya can. You can get sweetened and unsweetened versions and see what suits you best. Oat milk is a good option but it does alter the taste of the tea, so my vote still goes for almond milk!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

Drinking tea with almond milk now, very nice. Doesn't affect the taste and behaves a lot more like cows milk meaning I can just make tea how I would normally. Also it's just a really nice tasting milk, think I'll be using it for a few more things. That a lot for the recommendation.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭bedlamaticable

Glad you like it!
    And just a tip, I'd been getting Almond milk from a health food shop (due to lack of availability elsewhere), but now Alpro have come out with their own Almond milk, available in sweetened and unsweetened and you can get it in bigger dunnes' and tesco's. Where it was around €4-€4.50 for what I could get in my health food shop, the Alpro one is about €2-€2.50, you could have gotten the Alpro one anyway, but I thought I'd mention it in case!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

Glad you like it!
    And just a tip, I'd been getting Almond milk from a health food shop (due to lack of availability elsewhere), but now Alpro have come out with their own Almond milk, available in sweetened and unsweetened and you can get it in bigger dunnes' and tesco's. Where it was around €4-€4.50 for what I could get in my health food shop, the Alpro one is about €2-€2.50, you could have gotten the Alpro one anyway, but I thought I'd mention it in case!

I got Almond Breeze for €2.50 in Supervalu. Was the most expensive out of all the plant milks there though. I might keep an eye out for the Alpro one just in case it's a little cheaper. Every little helps. Thanks for letting me know. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

I prefer the pasteurised original Alpro in tea to cow's milk personally. The pasteurised version is much nicer than the UHT version. It has to be refrigerated, has a shorter shelf life, and is slightly more expensive. Its shelf life is considerably better than pasteurised cow's milk though.

I did get a couple of cartons that were rotten when I opened them. I would guess that the seller hadn't realised they were supposed to be refrigerated.

I know you're not interested in soy milk anyway, just thought it might be worth mentioning for other people who might read this, apart from the OP.

Advertisement