Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

squatting with a bent bar

• 02-04-2013 3:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭

This morning I had to use a slightly bent bar for squats, it felt fine but just wondered does the fact that the weight sits a bit lower make any difference to using a straight bar?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 immigant

How bent are we talking? I can't imagine that the bar can be bent to such an extent that it would change the mechanics of the lift.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

immigant wrote: »
    How bent are we talking? I can't imagine that the bar can be bent to such an extent that it would change the mechanics of the lift.

Nothing mental, about the same as the cover of Wendlers ebook (if you dont know it its one of the 1st pics that comes up when you put wendler 5 3 1 on google images.
    The thought only crossed my mind that it might be different as a couple of years ago when I last used a bent bar it felt as if I was being pushed forward onto the balls of my feet more.
    It felt fine today but as Im not far off my 3rm I dont think its any harm to ask the question anyway

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Bent bats are more likely to roll on your back and kick you forwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Da Za

Use it as a buffalo bar - but depending on how it's bent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

Da Za wrote: »
    Use it as a buffalo bar - but depending on how it's bent

It's actually a pretty symmetrical bend, both sides hang down the same amount. I was talking to a lad yesterday with a good bench the prefers to use that bar due to the slightly increased range of motion that it gives

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Thud

it's grand as long as you line up the bar right before benching (bending upwards in middle), if you have it the wrong way (where ends of bar are higher than center) a slight movement in the wrists can cause the bar to wobble/jerk which could be nasty

Advertisement