Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plant / Vegetation selection help?

• 02-04-2013 3:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭

Last year I installed my decking, the house is elevated and I kept the decking in line with it, this left me with a large drop (750-800mm) off the decking, I didn't want to have a handrail so left it the way it was until I came up with a solution.

8613013351_e30a292710_b.jpg

Last week I ordered sleepers and started working on my idea of raised beds, sloping to the garden with dual usage, 1. stopping a unsuspecting victim walking off the decking to their peril and 2. acting as added seating for parties etc. (pic is unfinished obviously)

8613013381_ff35ddb7ce_b.jpg

The help I need is with regard to plant selection, I have 0.01% plant knowledge, I know so little that I don't even know what style or type I would like... the beds will have full sun from morning till 7pm. The area is sloped measuring 3.4m x .7m approx. There will be a fence going between the concrete wall and the beds, hence the gap.

Can anyone offer help on plants and such?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

anyone, anything?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭Silent Runner

I'm not sure what you really want from the plants, if you want it tall or to trail down the sleeper?

You could have a look at planting Heather, if you pick different varieties you could have different colours throughout parts of the season. You could also try and establish Vinca Major in that small plot. These are fairly low maintenance plants provided you suppress weeds for the first few seasons and they are evergreen.

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/plantselector/plant?plantid=2020
    http://apps.rhs.org.uk/plantselector/plant?plantid=2873

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Oooh, Nice job there!

First things first, get good soil and the rest follows easier. Well drained etc. Can't overstate the importance of decent base to build your garden on. Soil soil soil.

From your lack of knowledge/interest in plants, I 'm going to suggest you go for a mostly evergreen mixed border, fairly modern style, large maintenence free shrubs, all about textures. Easy to source and easy to grow. Below is a list of things you should be able to get in any garden center in the country. I would put the same group of plants at either side, just multiply up the numbers / sizes of plants in the bigger area. Plant in uneven numbers, 1's or 3's.

So, at the back, in the corners by the wall, a bit of height and big green leaves. Normally grown in shade, but I like it sun too. Fatsia japonica. It is tall enough to be seen from the deck side. Your lights will look great shining up through it.
    Beside that I would put something clippable and evergreen, maybe a holly, or an osmanthus? Keep it only a few inches above the height of the wall so you can see over it.
    And then a biggish clump of the tall, yet see through, verbena bonariensis. Lights will look good going up through this too.

Put something spikey to contrast with that... A phormium fits this. Try phormium yelllow wave. Plant it towards the low front part, the strappy leaves will fall over the edge nicely.

Beside that on the front I would put a very soft perennial... Achemilla mollis. Looks lovely with raindrops on it. Wll fall over the edge slightly as well.

Again on the low part, some mounding short-ish grass... Something like hakonechloa macra, or a carex evergold.

Then on the side by the steps, I would go for a prostrate rosmary. Not the upright one. Rosmarinus officinalis ‘Prostratus’ . This will tumble over your wall, people will brush against it, has a lovely scent, and can be used as a kitchen herb of course.

To fill in the middle, you have loads of options, pick a few you like.
    Choisya ternata Sundance. Evergreen, nice leave shape, will link the fatsia and the phormium.
    Stipa gigantea (tall oat grass, will blow gently the wind to intrtroduce movement, but you can see through it)
    A japanese maple of some kind... Get a type with a leaf shape you like, dissectum type maybe, and check the mature height, 1.5mtrs max. This is for vivid autumn colour.
    Possibly for a strong shape and extra structure, a clipped buxus ball in amongst those. (These can be expensive so skip this if you don't fancy it)
    Add a blue lavender to bring out the colour in the rosemary and bring some bees and butterflies.
    A big clump of blue agapnathus for some flower interest.

Once you have a strong base structure with those, you will have something there to look at all year around. You can add some extra seasonal colour when you feel like it, bedding, or bulbs.

Now, if you were thinking more of a cottage garden of perennials type of thing and I am up the wrong track entirely, if you bring those photos to your local garden center... A proper nursery with some qualified horticulturists, they will be able to pick out your plants so you can see them, and make suggestions too. Don't forget to ask for a bulk discount if you get the whole lot in one place.

Have fun!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

jameshayes wrote: »
    Last week I ordered sleepers and started working on my idea of raised beds, sloping to the garden with dual usage, 1. stopping a unsuspecting victim walking off the decking to their peril and 2. acting as added seating for parties etc. (pic is unfinished obviously)

8613013381_ff35ddb7ce_b.jpg

Are the sleepers just PT (pressure treated) sleepers....seems to look like brown tanilizing.

Hope there is there any creasote in them? (darker patches kinda looks like that creasote look)

Creasote and peoples seated bums/clothes wont mix very well...:pac::D

You have done a bloody good job there so far...well done indeed.:)

PS-Install a black liner (hand operated staplegun) on the decking board inside the raised bed.This will give thrm some extra protection

Otherwize the wet soil/water directly on them will rot them away in no time at all.

pwurple wrote: »
    Oooh, Nice job there!

First things first, get good soil and the rest follows easier. Well drained etc. Can't overstate the importance of decent base to build your garden on. Soil soil soil.

From your lack of knowledge/interest in plants, I 'm going to suggest you go for a mostly evergreen mixed border, fairly modern style, large maintenence free shrubs, all about textures. Easy to source and easy to grow. Below is a list of things you should be able to get in any garden center in the country. I would put the same group of plants at either side, just multiply up the numbers / sizes of plants in the bigger area. Plant in uneven numbers, 1's or 3's.

So, at the back, in the corners by the wall, a bit of height and big green leaves. Normally grown in shade, but I like it sun too. Fatsia japonica. It is tall enough to be seen from the deck side. Your lights will look great shining up through it.
    Beside that I would put something clippable and evergreen, maybe a holly, or an osmanthus? Keep it only a few inches above the height of the wall so you can see over it.
    And then a biggish clump of the tall, yet see through, verbena bonariensis. Lights will look good going up through this too.

Put something spikey to contrast with that... A phormium fits this. Try phormium yelllow wave. Plant it towards the low front part, the strappy leaves will fall over the edge nicely.

Beside that on the front I would put a very soft perennial... Achemilla mollis. Looks lovely with raindrops on it. Wll fall over the edge slightly as well.

Again on the low part, some mounding short-ish grass... Something like hakonechloa macra, or a carex evergold.

Then on the side by the steps, I would go for a prostrate rosmary. Not the upright one. Rosmarinus officinalis ‘Prostratus’ . This will tumble over your wall, people will brush against it, has a lovely scent, and can be used as a kitchen herb of course.

Choisya ternata Sundance. Evergreen, nice leave shape, will link the fatsia and the phormium.
    Stipa gigantea (tall oat grass, will blow gently the wind to intrtroduce movement, but you can see through it)
    A japanese maple of some kind... Get a type with a leaf shape you like, dissectum type maybe, and check the mature height, 1.5mtrs max. This is for vivid autumn colour.
    Possibly for a strong shape and extra structure, a clipped buxus ball in amongst those. (These can be expensive so skip this if you don't fancy it)
    Add a blue lavender to bring out the colour in the rosemary and bring some bees and butterflies.

Once you have a strong base structure with those, you will have something there to look at all year around. You can add some extra seasonal colour when you feel like it, bedding, or bulbs.

Now, if you were thinking more of a cottage garden of perennials type of thing and I am up the wrong track entirely, if you bring those photos to your local garden center... A proper nursery with some qualified horticulturists, they will be able to pick out your plants so you can see them, and make suggestions too. Don't forget to ask for a bulk discount if you get the whole lot in one place.

Have fun!

15 euro in Ikea for nice sized balls.

http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/catalog/products/00243094/

Tons upon tons of them on sale up there.

Also pyramids too.

Tullys Nurseries also have a nice selection of buxus balls and holly ball trees too.

• Advertisement

pwurple wrote: »
    Oooh, Nice job there!

Have fun!

This is exactly what I needed, A1.

paddy147 wrote: »
    Are the sleepers just PT (pressure treated) sleepers....seems to look like brown tanilizing.

Hope there is there any creasote in them? (darker patches kinda looks like that creasote look)

Creasote and peoples seated bums/clothes wont mix very well...:pac::D

You have done a bloody good job there so far...well done indeed.:)

PS-Install a black liner (hand operated staplegun) on the decking board inside the raised bed.This will give thrm some extra protection

Otherwize the wet soil/water directly on them will rot them away in no time at all.

thanks! Yeah pressure treated, no creasote to worry about luckily!

yeah, put a line of DPC against the deck wall, should last long enough for me not to care haha!

This is exactly what I needed, A1.

after rereading your post and looking up all the plants I have to say thanks again for the guidance, with a topic that you know nothing about its like learning a new language!

I'll be broke by the end of this project!!

Allways plenty of bargains to be had......with regards to plants and gardening.....:D

after rereading your post and looking up all the plants I have to say thanks again for the guidance, with a topic that you know nothing about its like learning a new language!

No worries, it's always a trade-off between budget and time really. If you want it to look mature straight away, it does cost a bit more to get those large plants. Basically you are paying for someone elses time to keep those plants growing and happy for those years. But if you can wait for the plants to fill out and grow over a few years, you can save by getting smaller ones, or just getting a few at a time and dividing them yourself. You can spend either lots of money on gardens, or spend lots of time.

I had a thought about irrigation as well. I can't tell what way your prevailing rain is giong to hit that bed, but if you think the rain might skim over the top, and it could dry out, consider putting in a drip hose or something you can connect to a tap feed for watering. You basically have a giant pot there, so you will need to keep an eye on preventing it getting too wet, or too dry.

• Advertisement

Getting there (slowly)

8645321014_1dd088ae56_c.jpg

8645321264_31c1087870_c.jpg

small one is full of soil now, unless it settles more and the larger one is in progress, i've half a ton of soil left so hope this is enough, if not I might have to grab bags from the diy

8645321210_55c92ae7af_c.jpg

8644224417_f1623bc423_c.jpg

and after this is done... fencing time....

8644224375_3dc7b1f10b_c.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,387 ✭✭✭blackbox

I think you might have been better to leave the soil more ore less level rather than build it up in a steep slope. The planting could give you a slope by growing taller plants at the back.

Nice work with the deck & sleepers.

Loôks good. I was expecting the soil to be level as well, and for you to plant the taller plants at the back. I don't know how much it is firmed down, but you might get some soil washing down that slope off the edge.

Advertisement