Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISPCA taking a dog?

• 02-04-2013 3:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭

What does it take for this to happen. There is an idiot living next door to me (housing estate) that got a golden retriever pup maybe 4 months ago. This idiot lives alone with her 2 small kids, neither she nor her kids have any interest in the dog.
    In all the time it has been there it has never seen the outside of the gate, and no one ever goes out to the garden to play with it.
    The dog has no shelter whatsoever no matter the weather, but I think it gets taken inside last thing at night, and it's basically living in it's own crap. I got fed up of this maybe a month ago and sent an email to the local ISPCA describing what I just did here, they showed up the next day and spent maybe a half hour in the house.
    The dog wasn't taken away.
    It is still there, still with no shelter, still living in a total mess of a yard.
    The final straw was today, I noticed their car left yesterday morning, and no one has returned as of yet, so that's almost 30hours.
    I went out last night and fed the dog a scoop of nuts I have for my own dogs, and just did the same there now, I don't think it even has a drink.
    Do i call the ISPCA again or what should I do. No point calling them if they aren't going to bother doing anything.
    I took a picture the last time i called the ISPCA of the dog out in the freezing cold huddled up to the base of a tree, I don't know is it ok to post up?
    This neighbour has stopped talking to us since the ISPCA visited last, not that it bothers me in the least, i'd think more of the dog than I would of a fool that could treat an animal that way.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Yes, keep calling them until something is done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭wesf

I'm surprised they didn't take the dog the last time, or come back to check up on it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

I would imagine they need a "body of evidence" to take the animal away. Yes keep calling, keep them informed. It is the only way something will happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

I would keep on at them, it's terribly frustrating isn't it that they seem to have done nothing, but I guess you don't know what they told the inspector and was the dog brought in when he/she was there? Maybe they put on a good show so I would continue with the taking pictures and reporting etc.

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    I would keep on at them, it's terribly frustrating isn't it that they seem to have done nothing, but I guess you don't know what they told the inspector and was the dog brought in when he/she was there? Maybe they put on a good show so I would continue with the taking pictures and reporting etc.

Yes the dog was brought inside when the inspector was there.
    This is the pic have from before, it can be taken down if needs be.
    It rained all day the day this was taken
    20130210_150715_zps19e9106d.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Omg how sad is that. Please keep contacting them and show them photos if you need to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 156 ✭✭yaya*

wesf wrote: »
    Yes the dog was brought inside when the inspector was there.
    This is the pic have from before, it can be taken down if needs be.
    It rained all day the day this was taken
    20130210_150715_zps19e9106d.jpg

Have tears in my eyes looking at that picture. How can someone stand inside their cosy house and look out at their own dog looking like that.

As others have said, keep contacting ispca. Maybe rope in other neighbours to do the same, if that's possible? A group effort might have more of an impact?

Good luck and fair play to you for keeping an eye on her.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Forget the Ispca call the dog warden.

andreac wrote: »
    Omg how sad is that. Please keep contacting them and show them photos if you need to.
    Yeh it's a joke. Going to have to contact them again.
    I have 2 labradors and when i feed them I have a scoop for measuring, they get half a scoop each.
    Last night I gave this dog a full scoop and it was gone in a couple of minutes

Turner wrote: »
    Forget the Ispca call the dog warden.
    I just thought the ISPCA would be better as the dog may get a decent home afterwards. I'd hate to see it put to sleep if the warden took it.
    It's a lovely dog but the longer this goes on the more of an eejit it will become, as in it will be too hard to train

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Ah for f**ks sake (excuse my language)

That is so sad, please keep on at the ispca, take more pics, oh that is just heartbreaking he's all curled up in a ball trying to keep warm, not even any shelter or anything to lie on. Why? Why get a dog? Why?!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ms Tootsie

The only way you can convince the ISPCA is to have as much evidence as possible of the mistreatment this poor animal has to endure. Take pictures of everything and make sure you have your time stamp set on. I would start putting in daily calls to the ISPCA until they start taking this seriously. Look at the poor thing!

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    Ah for f**ks sake (excuse my language)

That is so sad, please keep on at the ispca, take more pics, oh that is just heartbreaking he's all curled up in a ball trying to keep warm, not even any shelter or anything to lie on. Why? Why get a dog? Why?!!

This is the part I just can't understand, the owner has zero interest, her kids have zero interest. The dog has literally never set foot outside the garden and the kids don't even play with it. As you said, why get a dog!?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 iphone4quest

Dunno which is more disturbing/upsetting here - the picture of the poor dog or the fact that the ISPCA are doing feck all about it :mad:

I'd hound the ISPCA on the hour every hour each day , emails calls etc until something is done about it.

kaza2710 wrote: »
    The only way you can convince the ISPCA is to have as much evidence as possible of the mistreatment this poor animal has to endure. Take pictures of everything and make sure you have your time stamp set on. I would start putting in daily calls to the ISPCA until they start taking this seriously. Look at the poor thing!

Yeh gonna keep a record of all this stuff, times I had to feed it etc and when it was left alone for extended periods.
    The owner just stopped talking to us after the ISPCA visit, I would absolutely love for her to say something to me!

Dunno which is more disturbing/upsetting here - the picture of the poor dog or the fact that the ISPCA are doing feck all about it :mad:

I'd hound the ISPCA on the hour every hour each day , emails calls etc until something is done about it.

I was so surprised they didn't do more so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭kinkygirl

Lord almighty, that photo is heartbreaking. I have a pure hatred, yes hatred, for these idiots who treat animals like garden gnomes.
    And op, well done for trying to help this neglected fur baby, you seem to be his only hope, poor love. :(

kinkygirl wrote: »
    Lord almighty, that photo is heartbreaking. I have a pure hatred, yes hatred, for these idiots who treat animals like garden gnomes.
    And op, well done for trying to help this neglected fur baby, you seem to be his only hope, poor love. :(

Thanks kinkygirl. I feel exactly the same, would love to see how the owner would get on if she was left out in all weather with no food for a couple of days, that is one bitch I wouldn't waste dog nuts on

• Registered Users Posts: 22 tumbledown

This just boils my blood. Leaving a dog in a knackers yard with no shelter, company and f@@K all food. I'm actually raging here with those retards

they'd have an excuse if they were retards lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

wesf wrote: »
    they'd have an excuse if they were retards lol

I don't think the word retard is used anymore. I find it very offensive tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Please mind your language and tone everyone. I know this is an emotive thread,but keep your advice constructive and relevant thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

:( That pic :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Kinzig

:(:(..My blood boils on seeing this thread,,@ the OP..dig your heels in on this one ..that dog is depending on you ...:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

Fair fūcks to you for going the extra mile and doing your bit OP. Really, hats off to you for making their mistreatment of that poor pooch your priority. Poor dog would be lost without you!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭ene

well done op on trying to make life better for the poor dog, i have nothing constructive to add apart from the fact that its a disgrace, i have my dog curled up on the coach beside me like who in their right mind would make a poor defenceless animal suffer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

This is so sad OP. Where are you based, roughly? What is your local dog warden/pound, what is their policy? I don't know if ISPCA are that much better, pounds run by them have high kill rates!

Please keep collecting evidence. Perhaps you could enlist the help of a rescue (a retriever specific one would be a good one to try first) and you can offer your neighbour to take the dog off her hands?

I can pay for petrol if transport is required.

ETA: if the dog was left without food/drink it's serious neglect which warrants taking him away AFAIK. Are they still away?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Horrified for the poor dog. I'd say call the dog warden and keep calling him until the dog is taken away from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭bewhiched

My god that's absolutely disgraceful on both parts how in gods name could anyone do something so cruel. Very disappointed to hear about the DSPCA do hope it will be ok and fair play to you helping him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Shao

Fair play to you! That photo is so upsetting ! Who could do that to an animal , the fact that since the ispca visit that they have not provided a little shelter shows the complete lack of love or even their duty to an animal they brought into their home. Disgusting !

They should have just given the dog up

Advertisement