Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smear tests

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Ambersky

Just a little follow up. I went to see a GP recently and she turned out to be someone I had a smear test with a long time ago. At the time my request to put the speculum in myself was new to her and although she allowed me to do it she wasnt sure if the gynecologist she was referring me to would allow it.
    We had a chat about this and she said she didn't have as much experience back then and actually she had changed her practice since then as a result of our discussions.
    I just feel so encouraged to have been part of that process and happy that she was able to share that with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jaja321

So I had one this morning, my first in Ireland. It was so much better this time! I went to the Well woman clinic on Liffey St. I was prepared to tell her about how uncomfortable my last one was, but she did a short examination herself first and told me she would use the smaller speculum anyway. Which was much better, not nice but just a very mild discomfort!

This one lasted about 30 seconds too, I was just having a better day down there :p

Nervous about nothing this time!

They are amazing at that Well Woman Clinic. I had my copper coil inserted there (don't have children) and had my latest smear test done there - can't recommend them enough - terrific! Glad you had a better experience this time :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

I meant to write in about my results ....i got a letter saying im all clear so no need to return for 12 months. So whooop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I had one this morning with the duty nurse in my local GP, who was lovely. I told her that I'd had a bad experience previously and she used a smaller speculum. I hardly noticed her taking the swab and was in and out in no time. A grand experience today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ice Storm

I had a smear taken a couple of months ago and it was grand; really quick and I didn't feel it at all.

Then a few weeks later I got a phone call from my GP to say the sample was inadequate (not enough cells to process) so I have to go back after 3 months.

I couldn't help thinking "no wonder I didn't feel anything".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 KimmyKims

Glad to see many ladies getting their smears done. Its second nature to me now as ive had many colposcopies, biopsys, smears, vault smears etc . But even i get a little tense and panicky before exams, its just normal altho a lot of my fear is 'please god dont let the cancer be back'!

Im a patient of st james hospital but my oncologist does my colposcopys in the coombe and its such a nice place there, no harsh lighting etc unlike when i had my first colposcopy/lletz/biopsy in Tallaght hospital ( just before i was diagnosed) it was so bright in there and i felt really uncomfortable, so for anyone that gets referred to the colposcopy unit in the Coombe, they are lovely :)

Im back for my 1 year full check up next month and please god , all going well i will be 1 year cancer free. Im lucky i went for that smear when i did , as my cancer was advancing but luckily it was caught before it had reached the nodes so my tumour (4cm) was contained to the cervix, and i had a radically hysterectomy sept 3rd last year. I was 26 when this happened.

I hope by sharing some insight into everything ive gone through and continue to go through, that you all will continue to go for your smears and not to be frightened. I honestly dont want another women to go through what i have

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

How often are you meant to have one? I had my first at 26. As if I wasn't nervous enough, when I was lying legs apart the doctor proclaimed, "hang on a sec, someone's after disappearing off with my speculum". So, I literally "didn't know where it had been"!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    How often are you meant to have one? I had my first at 26. As if I wasn't nervous enough, when I was lying legs apart the doctor proclaimed, "hang on a sec, someone's after disappearing off with my speculum". So, I literally "didn't know where it had been"!

Jebus! I thought they all used disposable ones these days. Maybe not!

If you're between 25 and 44 then you get a free smear done every three years.
    If you're between 45 and 60 then you get a free smear done every five years.

They can ask you to come more often if you need to be monitored a bit more closely for a while. I don't actually know if those ones are free. I sort of assumed they are. Does anyone know?

Every 3 years
    I said it to a doc recently and they said well if it were more frequent an anomaly might come up that isn't really anything and they ended up figuring that 3 years was infrequent enough to avoid that but frequent enough to catch things
    Duno

• Registered Users Posts: 47 KimmyKims

If you go for a smear and abnormalities are detected, any follow up smears, colposcopies and treatment are covered by the cervical check programme once you are over 25 years of age.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

bluewolf wrote: »
    Every 3 years
    I said it to a doc recently and they said well if it were more frequent an anomaly might come up that isn't really anything and they ended up figuring that 3 years was infrequent enough to avoid that but frequent enough to catch things
    Duno

Yeah but my doctor in Canada said it should be annual.

My guess is it all depends on the health system of the country!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Had my smear on Thursday and is my 8th in total so never problem before. This time however had new female doc and felt much harder, I was tense but no prob with spec etc my problem is after was much more tendr and two days later still evidence of test and am very weepy. Looked up Internet to find they are using new brush which has more side effects. I am so cross that doc knew is my first test in two years and didn't tell me this. Am off for romantic weekend with hubby next week minus kids and feel so not in the mood now. Anybody else find it different this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭caddy2

As you said - it is very important who does your smear. Over the years, i have many done- once a year. They are not something i look forward to but they have always been over in minutes. My advice is ask your friends etc who they find best because after my latest smear - i just cant stop thinking about it - i got so upset during it with a young doctor who was obviously trying to take my mind off what she was doing but was talking to me like a child. I got so distressed and before she even started she wanted to feel where the cervix was - i have never never experienced this. I made an excuse so she wouldnt but aft a while of her using the speculum she said she had to and did twice and stilll couldnt find it. With tears running down my face i said that because she was starting to hurt that i would come back during the nxt cycle. I just wanted to get outa der and get someone else the nxt time. Den she suggested getting the nurse and that she would stay with me. I tried to give her the hint when the nurse came that id b fine with the nurse, i didnt want an audience and esp not that doctor. But she stayed and chatted and her and the nurse openly discuseed the size of speculum as though i wanted to hear that. Anyway, after all that - the nurse did it within minutes with so little discomfort that i couldnt believe she was finished. My question aft all that - are people usually 'examined' like that? I havent had children so maybe i am a bit naieve but i just have never experienced it at all over the last 11 r 12 years?? I was so shocked. My advice - really do consider who does your smear, i have had 5 r 6 different people besides the young doc who were great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I think we're all on the same page on this one it's sometimes good, sometimes bad but no matter how bad it is does not last long.

Me personally I tense up like a mad thing which makes it worse :mad: but I have found telling the doc/nurse in advance means they are prepared - they all tend to have little personal tips of their own which is helpful - plus they go as swift as possible.

No one likes them (well I'm making an assumption there!) but it is just sooooo important (and quick at the end of the day).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

Have my 3rd smear test next week, let's hope it's all okay! First one was slightly abornmal and the one I had 7 months ago was fine so this is just a check up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭RiverOfLove

I was just gone 28 when I had my first smear test done nearly three years ago. I was dreading everything about it. Making the phonecall to the doctors surgery, turning up at reception at the time of the appointment and the procedure itself, I was dreaded it all. Got it done and there was nothing to it. It's much better than going to the dentist. Would it be bad of me to say that I liked it and I'm looking forward to the next one which is due but just haven't got my ass in gear to making an appointment yet.

I was just gone 28 when I had my first smear test done nearly three years ago. I was dreading everything about it. Making the phonecall to the doctors surgery, turning up at reception at the time of the appointment and the procedure itself, I was dreaded it all. Got it done and there was nothing to it. It's much better than going to the dentist. Would it be bad of me to say that I liked it and I'm looking forward to the next one which is due but just haven't got my ass in gear to making an appointment yet.

I don't mind smear tests and the anticipation was worse than the event, but I don't think there will ever be a time when I'm actually looking forward to one :confused:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

Candie wrote: »
    I don't mind smear tests and the anticipation was worse than the event, but I don't think there will ever be a time when I'm actually looking forward to one :confused:.

Just as long as it comes back all clear I don't mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

Anyone know how quickly they get the letters out nowadays? I had my smear today and the nurse said up to 6 weeks but can't remember it being that long 3 years ago. The smear itself is not something I look forward to but so glad to have it done. Hate waiting for results though!

Digs wrote: »
    Anyone know how quickly they get the letters out nowadays? I had my smear today and the nurse said up to 6 weeks but can't remember it being that long 3 years ago. The smear itself is not something I look forward to but so glad to have it done. Hate waiting for results though!
    I was wondering the same. I had one nearly 5 weeks ago and no results yet. I had one 3 months ago too and it was after 4 weeks that my doctor rang me to tell me the sample wasn't sufficient.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Had mine the first week in May and letter came mid-June so 6 weeks or so.

Alas not good news, low grade changes. Have to go back in November for another, lucky me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

They told me 6 weeks, came after about 4 I would say though.

Low grade changes, more fun for me so :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

Ugh fun times, hope all gets sorted for ye both with ease!

I have some spotting which the gynaecologist can't find a reason for but I believe this can make the smears harder to read so wouldn't be surprised if I get called back for round two! Although the nurse kindly had a good root around up there (her own words) in the hopes of avoiding this. Not a pleasant sensation although not painful!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Hersheys

I got my results within 4 weeks, and got them from my GP before the cervical smear letter came in the post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I got my letter last week (all clear, woohoo!) so 4-6 weeks seems about average.

Just to update - I got my letter today so for me, it was just over 5 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭LittleFox

Had my first smear on Tuesday and decided to get a full sexual health check done as well which meant I had two separate examinations, I found the smear grand the nurse talked me through It, as I'm tall she decided on a longer narrower speculum so I felt no discomfort at all, the second examination a different nurse took the samples with just an average speculum which I felt mire discomfort with it pinched and while not incredibly painful was a little sore. I would definitely reccommend discussing speculum size with your nurse

Got my smear test results back. All fine but I've to test again in 6 months. That means since my first one, I've had one in every 6 months. Does anyone know why this is so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

Got my smear test results back. All fine but I've to test again in 6 months. That means since my first one, I've had one in every 6 months. Does anyone know why this is so?

You should have been told why when you got your results tbh, if they didn't I'd be giving the nurse/doctor who did it a call.

• Advertisement

Sauve wrote: »
    You should have been told why when you got your results tbh, if they didn't I'd be giving the nurse/doctor who did it a call.

It was just a quick phone call from the nurse to say it was all clear. The letter I received afterwards said test again in 6 months.

Advertisement