Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smear tests

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

Digs wrote: »
    Anyone know how quickly they get the letters out nowadays? I had my smear today and the nurse said up to 6 weeks but can't remember it being that long 3 years ago. The smear itself is not something I look forward to but so glad to have it done. Hate waiting for results though!

Just to update after my original question, got my letter today, all clear thank god! So just a bit over 3 weeks for me :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

I got mine back swiftly as well, also all clear :)

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭zenbuffy

So, I had my first test through the Cervical Check program (have had others previously, at my own request, through my GP) a short while ago. Because of some issues the nurse spotted (some things in my medical history), I've been referred to the gynaecological department at Tallaght Hospital while still waiting for my cervical check results to come back.

I believe that follow-up appointments, referrals, and related treatments are covered through the cervical check program if your test finds something that needs a follow-up, but I also have my own private health insurance, and frankly, I'm worried that if there is something wrong, I'll end up being stuck having my treatment at Tallaght Hospital. (Before anyone jumps on me, I've had two surgeries in Tallaght in the last 2-3 years, and they were both very difficult and unpleasant experiences, so I have no desire to go back there again, especially not if I require treatment beyond a simple scan or colposcopy - and I would even be nervous about the colposcopy.)

Does anyone know if I'm likely to end up with two separate referrals - i.e. one already done, for the issues from my medical history, and a potential second one from the Cervical Check results? If I do need treatment, can I opt to use my health insurance and be treated as a private patient even if it's through Cervical Check that the issues were spotted? I'm quite confused (and more than a little worried) about it all, and I've got a few more weeks of tense waiting to go before I get my Cervical Check results...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

I can't give you a definitive answer, but I can't imagine there'd be any objection to you using your health insurance for any further treatment or investigation you need; after all, it ultimately costs them less if you do so. Using your own insurance will hopefully also enable you to have more of an input about where you get referred to.

Cervical Check has a freephone number you could call to ask what the protocol is where you have your own insurance (1800 45 45 55). It might be no harm to give your insurer a call as well to see what the story is when you're undergoing a procedure that is already covered.

It must be a worrying time and having more information can only help. Don't get railroaded into going to Tallaght if that's not what you want. After all, that's one of the perks of having your own health insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭zenbuffy

Well, the good news is that my results came back normal. I was a little surprised, as the nurse who took the smear said she saw white spots and uneven surface, so tbh, I was expecting the worst. Still got my referral on anyway, so I'll keep that and just have it all double-checked just in case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭mazdaminx

Tigger99 wrote: »
    Oh and rescue remedy helps too! Ridiculous sounding I know, but I recommend it.

Sorry to go on this thread but didn't want to start another one on same topic
    I've had a few smears already, had one experience where I couldn't relax and it took ages.
    Another this morning, think I'll take rescue remedy.
    I get more squeamish and nervous the older I get :-(
    Do other ladies feel they need to be hair free? Just wondering. I did a tidy up but not completely hairless
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

mazdaminx wrote: »
    Do other ladies feel they need to be hair free? Just wondering. I did a tidy up but not completely hairless
    Thanks
    Nope, I don't bother doing more than washing. They see much worse than a hairy fanny on a daily basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭mazdaminx

That was easiest one yet. Plastic as opposed to metal. All over in a few moments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Mollyd90

Just come out of my second smear test. 1st one I had few years ago was grand. All over in a few minutes
    God this one was horrible. Nurse couldn't find cervix tried 7 times, called another nurse couldn't find it 2 times she tried. They Pulled pubic hair and pinched me with plastic thing. The 2 nurses started whispering and decided to get doctor to it. they said doctor might do internal exam and I started to get worried that something else was wrong.why 3 people need to do a smear test. The doctor hurt me opening my cervix too much but at least she was able to do it first time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,890 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Mollyd90 wrote: »
    why 3 people need to do a smear test.

Because the first two couldn't find your cervix. It's uncomfortable and it's unpleasant but they weren't doing it to upset you. It's the equivalent of them having difficulty finding a line when taking bloods.

I believe there are certain times in a natural (as opposed to hormonally controlled) menstrual cycle where the cervix is more easily accessed, it might be worth reading up on this for the next time? Because chances are that you'll be even more tense/nervous after your experience this time, so every little helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Excuse my ignorance but how is it possible to "not find a cervix" :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Mollyd90

amdublin wrote: »

I know!

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭valerie

amdublin wrote: »

There are several reasons - sometimes the cervix is very far back and not accessible with a normal speculum. Sometimes it can be lying off to the side. Sometimes the vaginal walls fall in on top of the speculum as it's opened which means you can't see anything at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

valerie wrote: »
    There are several reasons - sometimes the cervix is very far back and not accessible with a normal speculum. Sometimes it can be lying off to the side. Sometimes the vaginal walls fall in on top of the speculum as it's opened which means you can't see anything at all.

Thank you!

I swear I thought someone was messing when they said that as because as far as I knew your cervix was straight up your vagina.

What you have said is very helpful.
    You obv have medical training?

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Moyglish

Well after putting it off for years due to being very nervous and scared I finally had my very first one done today.

I had the final push to go get one as I've recently started having irregular periods and have been bleeding in between periods.

I was very nervous about having it done especially after reading some stuff on here but I have to say it went fine, better than expected.

I went to my local GP to have it done and she couldn't have been nicer.

She said she'd start with a medium sized speculum but would switch to a smaller size if needed.

Luckily the medium was fine. I won't lie. It did hurt a little and pinched but it was all over so quickly. I could hear the brushing / scraping going on but couldn't feel anything.

On a positive note she said that everything looked fine and my cervix looked healthy so that was a relief to hear.

I did bleed a little when she was taking the sample however. Hope this won't effect the results or testing.

Now to play the waiting game.

Very glad I finally got over my fear and went to have it done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi went for my 1st menopause smear a week ago - pain was awful I had to ask nurse to stop. Due back in two weeks to get doctor to try instead. 1st time I’ve had pain as opposed to just uncomfortable. Not sure if the problem was the plastic speculum or the fact that the door wasn’t locked, curtain around exam table half pulled, no blind on window with ‘business end literally facing window( even though upstairs still felt exposed) or a combination. Pain felt like the worst cystitis pain ever.

Advertisement