Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Employer checking home of new employee working at home

Options
  • 02-04-2013 5:45pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 389 ✭✭

I am as a employer supposed to visit any home of a employee if they are working from home. I can't find the actuel relevant law piece on this. Can anybody please forward this on to me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,432 ✭✭✭✭Victor

micromary wrote: »
    I am as a employer supposed to visit any home of a employee if they are working from home.
    Is that meant as a statement or a question? Why do you think you should or should not visit?

In theory it is a place of work, so some H&S rules would likely apply. If the staff member is being productive, I imagine a light touch to supervision would be appropriate.

What does their contract of employment say?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 389 ✭✭micromary

If it was a statement then I would not have a question mark in it so therefore it is clearly a question. I am asking if anybody has the relevent link to the employment law in question. I was told that i need to visit every employee's home before they start work. I need to find out ifthis is correct and the relevant piece of law stating same.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

If it was a statement then I would not have a question mark in it so therefore it is clearly a question. I am asking if anybody has the relevent link to the employment law in question. I was told that i need to visit every employee's home before they start work. I need to find out ifthis is correct and the relevant piece of law stating same.

So it was a statement then - you stated it as a fact.

The only question you asked was for a link to the relevant piece of legislation. (No different than saying "My toe is broken. Where is the hospital?)

A good place to start would possibly be the Safety, Health and Welfare at Work Act, 2005 http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2005/en/act/pub/0010/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Let's hope the business has nothing to do with the Public Relations or Hospitality industries :-\

I wondered the exact same as the first person who tried to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

What does visiting the home accomplish?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

The employer's supposed to check that the employee has an ergonomic work environment: proper desk, chair etc.

Thanks Stark. At least I got one helpful reply. I have checked it out myself and found the necessary legislation.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2005/en/act/pub/0010/sec0008.html#sec8

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Thanks Stark. At least I got one helpful reply. I have checked it out myself and found the necessary legislation.

Good girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

Oh. You mean the same legislation I linked for you in my apparently unhelpful reply..?!

You're a gas woman Mary, I'm glad you're not gonna be calling round to my house... :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Mary - if you come on here looking for help or advice its not a good idea to then insult and abuse those who try help you out. Smart arse comments wont get you anywhere either so perhaps consider this as a lesson in dealing with people and apply it going forward when you do visit your employees...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

Micromary's name is Gavin. Perhaps someone else can sort the gender issue. I unfortunately recommended the best external HR firm I know and have used over the years myself, but as they wanted payment per consultation became the cause of some vilification on another thread here involving the OP in this case. I would be very careful I'm future in giving any specific recommendations on here in future, which is a pity as I am one of the older soldiers here in terms of business career length, and thus experience.

Don't worry guys. I wont bother my arse looking for advise from you's again. It would have been much better if I just looked up the info myself as it was easy enough to find. Yep Peter I did go and actuelly I have found another company myself which is giving a lot better advise then the one you recommended me. I guess therefore topic is now closed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

Jebus I'd hate to have you as a boss.:eek: The christmas parties must be right craic...:rolleyes:

Don't worry guys. I wont bother my arse looking for advise from you's again. It would have been much better if I just looked up the info myself as it was easy enough to find. Yep Peter I did go and actuelly I have found another company myself which is giving a lot better advise then the one you recommended me. I guess therefore topic is now closed!

In your case, I will assume you mean they are better because they are cheaper!!

It is obvious to the rest of us that you do a much better job at finding things out yourself. Funny how it is always after the event!

oh yeah, I'd say you will be missed too!

P :)

Your use of the words "you's , advise and you recommended me" are compleytely incorrect, must be some language school you are running there

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭doughef

Mary...

Do you wear Micro Skirts when calling to these peoples houses???:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭tipptopper

what an ungrateful dick you really are. Thank god I'm not an employee of yours, with that attitude I'd rather be unemployed :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

Gav/Micromary

Are you qualified to inspect a premises for H&S issues ? based on your thread it comes across as though its part of your job but you don't know what you are doing or even if its legal for you to do it !

Have you asked your boss/supervisor to assist you in providing correct legislation ?

Working from home is an ideal scenario for most employees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Your use of the words "you's , advise and you recommended me" are compleytely incorrect, must be some language school you are running there

That's a joke, shirley ;)

smcgiff wrote: »
    That's a joke, shirley ;)

Very old SKOOL and don't call me Shirley! There are enough gender issues going on here already!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭dbran

Ok

I think we are done with this thread now.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement