Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

digiweb traffic counter gone mad

• 02-04-2013 6:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

For few days it was not working at all and now its giving out silly numbers

28s78kl.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Mine's working fine. I did notice that the graph has increase it's maximum scale to 25 Gigs. I wonder are we due an increase in the monthly cap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

and again! This time no data transfer at all. I queried the peak and got nowhere but this sort of thing is why I don't entirely trust digiwebs stats.

14udzys.jpg

and again!

so2whx.jpg

digiweb fobbed me off the last time, saying it must be at my end but this is total bullsh*t!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

mike65 wrote: »
    and again!

so2whx.jpg

digiweb fobbed me off the last time, saying it must be at my end but this is total bullsh*t!

Looks to me like drop box or something like that backing up your files.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭KoKane

Just an FYI, those monitoring tools don't appear to track certain types of traffic. I'm not sure why, but I've tried lots of the free ones and none of them track video games.

I imagine you must be the only person using your line and you only do some mild browsing?

Here is my graph and it's for a family of 6 who all use it, all day mostly.

ql3GOWD.jpg

100GB is our limit and we're at 85-95 constantly.
    This graph is showing it under heavy supervision and careful use mostly.
    It generally 'costs' us 2GB a day on average, just having it on, with all the traffic.

We also have an Eircom line(Next Generation super epic futuristic technology broadband) at 3mb, as that's all we can get. They don't have limits, so all heavy downloading is done through that. Without that setup, we might aswell be living on a country road somewhere.

If we were to use this Digiweb as we'd like, which would mean more than a few Youtube videos each and only a few hours gaming for those who do, I'd say we'd average 12gb a day. That's about 2GB per person. Less than most mobile phones offer on data packages...

A technician on the phone one day had the cheek to say, while looking at my graph from wherever he was, "oh yeh, wow, thats a lot of heavy use"..
    If he only knew how much I wanted to punch him through the phone.

Thankfully the days of the bandwidth limit scam/lie and throttling are going the way of the dinosaur. And so too will any ISP who believe in those ideas.

• Advertisement

and again!

so2whx.jpg

Are you saying that its showing you're using more than you are or the other way around?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

KoKane wrote: »
    If we were to use this Digiweb as we'd like, which would mean more than a few Youtube videos each and only a few hours gaming for those who do, I'd say we'd average 12gb a day. That's about 2GB per person. Less than most mobile phones offer on data packages...

Sorry but 2GB is far beyond 'a few youtube videos and a few hours of gaming'.
    2GB is a decent chunk of traffic - not massive, but for a daily usage figure it's large. Something is using considerable traffic in the house. If you have a family or multiple machines one of them is generating excess traffic you're not aware of or someone is using your wifi that shouldn't be.

Having worked in Tech Support for an ISP we got this every single day where user's first port of call was to blame the ISP. 99.9% of the time the user was at fault and something or someone in the house was torrenting, downloading demos to Xbox/PS3, downloading software, streaming TV, had a virus sending spam, or were unaware that netflix, lovefilm, sky player etc. etc. use considerable traffic if left running for quite a bit of time.

Check your own network thoroughly and be 100% - and I mean 100% - sure that your network isn't generating it.

To be 100% sure, go without broadband for a day if you're going to be out and unplug your modem/router - your stats will show a day of zero traffic for that day.

2GB is a decent chunk of traffic - not massive, but for a daily usage figure it's large. Something is using considerable traffic in the house. If you have a family or multiple machines one of them is generating excess traffic you're not aware of or someone is using your wifi that shouldn't be.

Having worked in Tech Support for an ISP we got this every single day where user's first port of call was to blame the ISP. 99.9% of the time the user was at fault and something or someone in the house was torrenting, downloading demos to Xbox/PS3, downloading software, streaming TV, had a virus sending spam, or were unaware that netflix, lovefilm, sky player etc. etc. use considerable traffic if left running for quite a bit of time.

Check your own network thoroughly and be 100% - and I mean 100% - sure that your network isn't generating it.

To be 100% sure, go without broadband for a day if you're going to be out and unplug your modem/router - your stats will show a day of zero traffic for that day.

2 Gigs a day isn't a massive amount in fairness, certainly not these days.

We have four internet users in our house including Laptops, Tablets and phones. Youtube would be used quite a bit and we also use some of the video streaming music apps and the like. We have to keep a close eye on it to keep it below the 100 Gigs per month.

We also have the sky box connected too and to stream a HD movie its about 3 to 4 gig. Roll on the no cap broadband!

2 Gigs a day isn't a massive amount in fairness, certainly not these days.

I said pretty much exactly that. But it is considerably more than a few youtube vids.

If he's of the impression that youtube and gaming is generating 2GB a day then I'm saying he needs to delve deeper.

He's also of the impression that mobile phone packages offer 2GB per DAY as standard when in fact it's usually 500MB to 1GB per MONTH:
    KoKane wrote: »

Are you saying that its showing you're using more than you are or the other way around?

Its showing that I'm using more than I am. The Red shows the upload traffic, apparently I am sending gigabytes to the world!

I'd love to know how on a old skool one mb connection.

This is why I know its not my fault.

Here is the last month as a whole, note the 9/1 ratio of up and down traffic when its behaving itself.

2nc2osl.jpg

• Advertisement

Yes! Thats what it says! Apparently I am sending gigabytes to the world!

I'd love to know how on a old skool one mb connection.

This is why I know its not my fault.

Viruses, torrents left seeding, cloud storage updating are common causes of excessive uploading. As I said above, next time you'll be out of the house for a day or a weekend, switch it off and you should see zero. Will rule out the ISP making up traffic.

I've been in touch with didgweb and await their reply. But maybe you can help on this point - if I power down the modem (as opposed to just unplugging the ethernet cable to the PC) is that logged as an event on my account by the ISP?

I do not torrent, I am not connected to any cloud storage facility. I run anti virus type sotfware on a regular basis (ran Malwarebytes only yersterday)

Not sure what you mean by 'an event'?

Do they know that a modem has been switched off?

Do they know that a modem has been switched off?

Yes

Sometimes we would monitor a modem's status if a customer was complaining of disconnections. This would show up as a disconnection. But generally no, they would only know if they checked.

If you turn it off for a full 24 hour day you and they will see that day either register a zero for traffic or not even be in the graph.

Just looking at that traffic chart, my upload speed is 250 kbps so to upload 3.5 GB of data would take approx 30 hours, and that's assuming a nothing else happening on the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭KoKane

It's not that far beyond it really. Not this day and age.
    The bandwidth limits are just unrealistic and are going to kill an ISP like Digiweb.

I've had days where nobody does anything (modem is off) It's at 0% for those days.

But everyone in this house uses it, Facebook, Youtube. 3 of us Game a lot all day and although its game dependant, some games can do 1GB in an hour or two. (Arma2, or MMO's)
    You could run up 1GB just looking at the front page of the /r/videos section on Reddit.

I understand why you might think 2GB is a lot for a day, but trust me it's not really, for a full house using it at least. It's also with absolutely zero files downloaded, other than patches for games maybe once or twice a week. No torrents or movies or anything, since we just simply can't spare the usage.
    Having to watch any and all videos at 360p is annoying too :(
    The fact that it's a rolling 100GB limit aswell is stupid (in my opinion). It should reset to 0 every month.

Anyway, it's silly to discuss bandwidth limits. They aren't really there for anything other than trying to get extra money from customers.

Also, do you happen to know if Irish ISP's will somehow worm their way out of having to obey this new european law being passed, forcing ISP's to remove limits and throttling?

and again! btw I'm unplugging the data lead from the modem every time I leave the PC for an extended period - this evening despite being in front of the telly bar 15 minutes between 8 and 10.30 this happened

qs41ar.jpg

The email response said this issue was being sent to Level 2 tech support, no idea what that is but it sounds slightly more exciting than level 1 tech support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

L1s are the agents answering phones, L2's are their managers/a level up.

Is your house near any others? What wireless encryption are you using? This kind of thing is common with neighbours stealing wifi.

If you're 100% its not your end, then get them to confirm your have been mis jumpered and they arent mixing up your stats with another customers.

• Advertisement

I'm in a street, next door is 8 feet away, I'm on METRO wireless. I did inquire about someone else piggybacking and they said
    The only way it would be possible for someone else to use your connection is if
    you have a wireless router connected to the modem.

and I don't.
    If you're 100% its not your end, then get them to confirm your have been mis jumpered and they arent mixing up your stats with another customers.

The MAC addy is correct, I have three copies of it - two "on-line" (traffic stats, modem status on the basic LAN) and the installation worksheet.

10.00 am and somehow I uploaded 700mb overnight despite the data cable being unhooked :rolleyes:

2qnxund.jpg

Advertisement