Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile Plans - best if in UK etc

Options
  • 02-04-2013 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭

I live very close to Northern Ireland and as a result am frequently in the NI and on a UK operator.

Just wondering what package in Ireland offers the best value based on:

1. Unlimited calls, text to mobile or landline in Ireland.
    2. Roaming?
    3. Making calls to Ireland whilst roaming?
    Does any package offer unlimited calls from a mobile to the UK either landlines or mobiles?

ATM eircom look good but the options are almost endless.

Vodafone also looks good.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭Technoprisoner

The Guvnor wrote: »
    I live very close to Northern Ireland and as a result am frequently in the NI and on a UK operator.

Just wondering what package in Ireland offers the best value based on:

1. Unlimited calls, text to mobile or landline in Ireland.
    2. Roaming?
    3. Making calls to Ireland whilst roaming?
    Does any package offer unlimited calls from a mobile to the UK either landlines or mobiles?

ATM eircom look good but the options are almost endless.

Vodafone also looks good.

why not go with 3....it cost the same to use your phone in the uk as it does in ireland then you wont have to worry about roaming ect

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

Will check them out - Thanks Techno! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

Would say 3, but also check out vodafone's new red plans. They maybe worth a look, especially the €75 business plan which give you unlimited roaming (calls&texts) in the UK. Don't think you need a business to get these plans:
    http://www.vodafone.ie/planscosts_bus/small/red/

Thanks Fly.

Vodafone do look good.

3 have the flexi minutes which are good.

I'd prefer a sim-only plan as still rocking a non smart phone here.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 gollyn9

Lycamobile has free mobile calls to the uk

• Advertisement

Really - must check that out, thanks!

I think the free calls are to lycamobiles in the UK.

I'd go for the €29 plan and get the double credit.

[free credit cannot be used to purchase additional Lycamobile products i.e bundles, roaming Services and the credit cannot be transferred. Free Call Credit cannot be used to call Premium Service numbers.]

I think the credit has a validity of 30 days as with the plan.

It might take some time to use the €29 on calls.

I also wonder if one would be done for roaming if on lycamobile network in the uk or n. ireland mainly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

The Guvnor wrote: »
    .... I also wonder if one would be done for roaming if on lycamobile network in the uk or n. ireland mainly.

As far as I know, you shouldn't be, Lycamobile Ireland, operates on the O2 Ireland network. O2 Ireland has an "all-Ireland" network policy, meaning when roaming in the North, as long as you're on the O2 network (ie. Lycamobile UK), you're charged the same as if you were in the Republic. Your SIM should switch automatically to Lycamobile UK.

Note that this policy only applies when on the island of Ireland. When on the UK mainland, even on Lycamobile UK, you're charged as roaming.

Thanks Oracle.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭mopi

My own experience is that roaming will always have issues. I use 3.ie voda.ie and o2.uk [giffgaff] all prepay at this present. When in UK Irish phones especially the 3 one have a habit of wandering off the preferred network and on to someother.uk which means full roaming charges kick-in which burn through my PAYG credit rather quickly.
    If you are not interested in data a dual-sim phone is worth considering. £15/mth will buy 400 UK minutes + unlimited SMS in UK [ask me for a giffgaff sim :-] add Irish sim of choice.
    If your a big texter voda.ie and 3.ie offer free domestic/international webtexts which can be sent from a smart phone on any network (checkout cabbage or Jellysms).

• Advertisement

Dual sim makes sense! Will look at giffgaff.

6310i phone here so not smart at all! :)

OK lads have an update.

[:D]

Lycamobile is in essence not great.

My issue is driving from Dundalk to Belfast - on lycamobile/02 in south but about 5 miles into the north the phone is gone.

Wants to update sim, simcard registration fails and the net result is you could be all day up north with no phone.

I will now be trialling 3 on their unlimited package which is €39 per month on a sim only deal. Month to month contract via direct debit.

I verified this deal with three different people.

Included for this package are:
    1. 10,000 minutes. Landlines and Mobiles included.
    2. Unlimited texts.
    3. 2TB data.

They key for me though is that 5000 of those minutes can be used to make calls to UK landlines and mobiles.

The negatives:
    1. Costs to call voicemail - solved with a €2 addon.
    2. Sending texts when overseas costs and again the €2 addon solves it.
    3. €79 to get an S4.

No roaming charges either if on the 3 network when overseas so can use phone as if in Ireland.
    Porting tomorrow and will see what 3 is like for a while on my 6310i. :)

Advertisement