Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using old Eircom Netopia 2247 as WAP

Options
  • 02-04-2013 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭

Been trying to get this to work for the last few days.

First I followed THIS guide

Involves changing Protocol to RFC-1483 Bridged Ethernet LLC/SNAP and disabling DHCP. Was sceptical about the bridging part because I knew bridging is something I would do if I wanted to move routing from my UPC 3295 to something like the Asus recommended here)

Anyway, I followed the guide to the letter and managed to screw up the network. Weird IP's appearing in connected devices tab on my UPC 3295 router and internet connections up and down all the time on various devices on the network. Used iPad for some of the testing and it was getting a weird IP address and not able to get onto internet. Confused the hell out of me because I had definitely disabled DHCP on the Netopia so why was it screwing around with IP's.

Anyway, Unplugged the Netopia and after rebooting each device to refresh their IP leases everything went back to normal and no more weird IP's on the UPC router connected device list. (By weird IP's I mean the likes of 89.100.34.78 etc instead of the normal 192.168.1.*)

Tried again today. Reset the Netopia. left protocol as default, didn't enable bridging. Disabled firewall, Nat, DHCP and put UPC routers IP and DNS servers into the Netopia's Connection dialog.

It seemed to work. For testing I changed the SSID to differentiate while roaming. I connected to the Netopia with the iPad and saw normal IP's and the correct UPC DNS servers. iPad showed up on the UPC routers connected devices. Able to connect to the internet.

Fine I thought. However my PC just lost its internet connectivity (wired) like the first time I put the Netopia in the loop. (Yellow triangle over taskbar Network ICON) Closed browser and opened back up and got internet back and yellow triangle disappeared. Checked UPC device list and theres another weird IP after appearing again (10.52.183.71).

While the first time I tried the netopia following the linked guide screwed the network up within a few minutes and this time not following the guide seemed to have worked for a few hours with only minor peculiarities, I worry that the weird IP address might propagate through the network.

Anyone know what I could be doing wrong?

{edit} I have the Netopia and another TPlink WAP set as static IP's outside the UPC 3295 DHCP range 192.168.1.253/254. UPC device list no longer has the weird IP, Netopia appears as connected device at 254 but the TPlink now doesn't show up and yet I can browse to is setup page on 253 in my browser.

Confused as all hell :D

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

You have me confused as well!

That ip could be eircom trying to update the modem (not from 10.52.183.71 though). Some of the modems they have do send messages to their servers for updates and so on. Is your firewall on in the upc and you have no port forwarding?

Try setting a static ip for the netopia and tplink way off like 192.168.1.400 or something. At least it gives you more room to play with.

Try it with a different pc and turn your off? Could be a client running on the pc?

Advertisement