Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spotify v Napster v Last.fm

Options
  • 02-04-2013 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭

I want to subscribe to one of the above but I don't know which one to go for. I know Spotify is the latest and greatest but is there any real difference between them in terms of library, cost, user friendliness etc? Does anyone have any experience of using more than one and what would you recommend. My home stereo is set up for Napster so I would lean that way simply for ease of access but I could happily be convinced otherwise.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

I want to subscribe to one of the above but I don't know which one to go for. I know Spotify is the latest and greatest but is there any real difference between them in terms of library, cost, user friendliness etc? Does anyone have any experience of using more than one and what would you recommend. My home stereo is set up for Napster so I would lean that way simply for ease of access but I could happily be convinced otherwise.

here's a novel suggestion. Why don't you try them out for yourself and then decide on which one you like best and use that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

Wow thanks a million for that helpful suggestion.

It was indeed silly of me to think that instead of handing over my credit card details to three different companies I might limit it to one, save some money and time, get some recommendations, that kind of thing.

I hope you're as helpful in all forums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

It was indeed silly of me to think that instead of handing over my credit card details to three different companies I might limit it to one, save some money and time, get some recommendations, that kind of thing.

Each of them offer free trials so you can try them out that way and decide. Last.fm isn't really a direct alternative to Spotify as it's more of a radio service and social site. It also doesn't have as big a library compared to Spotify. I haven't used Napster in years so I can't really comment on it but you should definitely give Spotify a go. You could try Deezer as well if you want another alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Neither of them.

Grooveshark.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

They all have free trials. Had I known the depths of your laziness/lack of research I'd have mentioned it.

Also as pointed out, Last.fm is a bit different and Napster - is it the 90's again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Cosmic Maybe

I only use Spotify myself so I can't advise you on the rest. Personally I wouldn't bother subscribing unless you're very big into your music. I use the free version and have no issues with it and I have no problem with an ad or 2 every once in a while. Apparently, the subscription service gives better sound quality but I have no complaints with the quality on the free one. I think the only major advantage of going premium would be that you get to use it on your mobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,299 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I used spotify, sign up for the free one and see what you think. Best part of it is recommended acts. Listen to almost any band and you can click on similar acts and it gives you loads of good similar stuff. Found a load of new bands I like using it.
    I only use Spotify myself so I can't advise you on the rest. Personally I wouldn't bother subscribing unless you're very big into your music. I use the free version and have no issues with it and I have no problem with an ad or 2 every once in a while. Apparently, the subscription service gives better sound quality but I have no complaints with the quality on the free one. I think the only major advantage of going premium would be that you get to use it on your mobile.

How often are the ads?

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Cosmic Maybe

Cienciano wrote: »
    How often are the ads?

If you're listening to an album with average of 10-15 songs there'd be no more than 2 ad breaks, each break is only ever 1 or 2 ads long, and an ad is never longer than 30 seconds. The premium option has no ads but when you consider the amount of ads on the radio 4 ads in half an hour is grand and you get to pick what you listen to :D. Plus sometimes you can go on it and there'll be no ads at all!:)

Oh yeah, you're able to incorporate your own music collection into it and create playlists containing both your own music and stuff streamed from online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Personally I wouldn't bother subscribing unless you're very big into your music.

The biggest plus for subscribing is not the removal of ads, but being able to use a number of mobile devices and having off line content on them. So for example I've a large amount of music stored on my phone so I can listen when out in the car, walking, running whatever. Same for my laptop when I'm in the office where access to streaming sites are blocked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

lordgoat wrote: »
    here's a novel suggestion. Why don't you try them out for yourself and then decide on which one you like best and use that one.

:rolleyes: As a mod, you should be ashamed of yourself. Pathetic response.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,299 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

First line was a bit snotty, but get rid of that and it's the best suggestion. You really need to try them yourself to see what suits your own needs and music tastes

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

... really? He doesn't mod this forum. Oh the shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Use Spotify, It's deadly

Advertisement