Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blu ray films in dublin?

Options
  • 02-04-2013 7:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭

Lo all.
    Since hmv are gone, it's getting very hard to find anywhere that still sells blu ray films.
    Obviously i can buy online, but prefer to buy local when possible.
    Xtravision and golden discs stock almost nothing.
    Tower records dont do bluray.

So Does anyone know any shops in dublin that sell blu ray films?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

At the moment the only way is online buying, not one decent shop to purchase blu ray. I thought that either xtravision would up their game or even golden discs but neither have reacted to HMVs demise. Maybe a Richard Branson type might see the hole created and do something about it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Like, some kind of virgin megastore?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

Skatedude wrote: »
    Tower records dont do bluray.

Tower on Wicklow St. sell BluRays. Upstairs on the right, near the foreign-language section. It's not a huge collection, but it's worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Pretty sure I saw blurays in the Tower on the 2nd floor of Easons (O'Connell St)

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭mtjm

Yakuza wrote: »
    Pretty sure I saw blurays in the Tower on the 2nd floor of Easons (O'Connell St)

and Golden Disks while not a whole lot, also try gamestop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,962 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

rednik wrote: »
    Maybe a Richard Branson type might see the hole created and do something about it.

Yeah a shop selling optical disks could be a real money-spinner...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,142 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

loyatemu wrote: »
    Yeah a shop selling optical disks could be a real money-spinner...

What about those new up and coming Compact Discs, they sound great.

OP, Golden Discs charge a crazy price for most Blurays in the Jervis street store, CEX sell second hand Blurays with many also at a big mark up, Gamestop are selling most of their second hand Blurays at €7.99 buy one get one free, Xtravision are selling lots of their ex-rental new releases 3 for €25,hopefully someone does see the gap in the Market here for a store selling New Releases, I asked myself in Gamestop a few weeks ago if they would be selling Skyfall and was told no so it won't be them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

Cheers for the replies. I buy most of my bluray on line, but would perfer to buy local when i can, But as you have seen , no where seems to have any decent stock anymore.

Back to play or amazon then

Like, some kind of virgin megastore?

What's needed is a store with a decent range of blu rays and where they will also take orders ready for collection on release date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I'd love to see a Saturn or Media-Markt opening in Ireland. They have shops all over Europe and are like a media heaven :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭squishykins

Can't believe nobody has mentioned CEX on Liffey Street! I would say that would be your best bet, they're cheap in there too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Its sort of an odd situation with blu-ray, the early adopters of blu ray would be generally be people who follow the technology etc and would mostly be people who buy stuff online anyway.

lately most people are buying blu-ray players if upgrading, but some arent going out and buying blurays they are just picking up whatever is on the shelf.

I honestly cant see bluray having a good presence on the shelves because alot of people dont seem to care/mind if its a dvd they are picking up.

Also alot of the stores blu-ray prices are premium compared to the dvd version, which isnt fair really.

HMV really was the only store with a great blu-ray selection in cork anyway and by the sounds of it dublin is similar.

I used HMV more and more for buying blu ray as they started matching online pricing but they probably left it too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

There is nowhere, but if reports are to be believed HMV in Ireland could be opening back up soon. Fingers crossed I miss going into HMV browssing around and walking out with a few new blu rays.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

There is nowhere, but if reports are to be believed HMV in Ireland could be opening back up soon. Fingers crossed I miss going into HMV browssing around and walking out with a few new blu rays.

If they return they'll probably find a new location in the city center as the 1 million euro annual rents on the Grafton st. store will unlikely be restored. Dublin does need a comprehensive Blu Ray retailer for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Passenger wrote: »
    If they return they'll probably find a new location in the city center as the 1 million euro annual rents on the Grafton st. store will unlikely be restored. Dublin does need a comprehensive Blu Ray retailer for sure.

Reports are saying there in talks with landlords of there old premises even Sky have reported Grafton St could re open, me personally im hoping the re open the one in Liffey Valley aswell :).

Here a link to the RTE story on it

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0405/379808-hmv-in-the-uk-may-be-rescued-in-a-new-deal/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Shred

I really hope they do come back, they did some great Bluray deals and their games were very competitively priced too. I used to enjoy popping into the one in the Pavillions in Swords.

Advertisement