Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Buzzards Endangered?

• 02-04-2013 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Have one around the house, it takes all the crows and rabbits i shoot away with it? :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

benjii187 wrote: »
    Have one around the house, it takes all the crows and rabbits i shoot away with it? :)

Whatever about endangered they are protected. We have never had problem with them and others say they do. Personally I think they are fantastic to see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

homerhop wrote: »
    Whatever about endangered they are protected. We have never had problem with them and others say they do. Personally I think they are fantastic to see

+1 on that saw one near my house last week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,748 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Lad - if your going to take up shooting as a sport you need to be sure what is totally protected(like buzzards), what has a season(woodcock etc.) and what is classed as vermin like rabbits, crows and foxes which can be shot/trapped all year round. See the link below

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=71148900&postcount=3

Mistakes or otherwise in this area can get you into all kinds of potentially serious legal bother so its good to be 100% familiar with the laws in this area as well as your own id skills when out hunting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 558 ✭✭✭fathersymes

Thankfully they're green-listed in Ireland meaning they're not of conservation concern, they are of course protected, wonderful birds.

Interesting list of birds of conservation concern.

http://www.client.teagasc.ie/environment/natural_heritage/Birds_of_conservation_concern_in_Ireland.asp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

If you're using lead-shot you unfortunately wont have your Buzzard around for long. Feeding lead-shot to a Bird of Prey is a BIG NO NO. Lead poisoning causes a slow and painful death. Be responsible, and don't leave what you shoot lying around after you. Regards, Dave

• Advertisement

If you're using lead-shot you unfortunately wont have your Buzzard around for long. Feeding lead-shot to a Bird of Prey is a BIG NO NO. Lead poisoning causes a slow and painful death. Be responsible, and don't leave what you shoot lying around after you. Regards, Dave

I just realised I misread what the OP was saying:o - the lack of commas in his post confused me and other posters by the looks of things. It obviously meant to read as "Have one around the house, it takes all the crows and rabbits i shoot, away with it" ie. the buzzard was feeding on the dead crows and rabbits the lad shot!!

Apologies to the OP:)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 benjii187

oh i wasn't planning on shooting it.. just wondering are they protected :eek: . Theyre getting a bit too close to my jack russell in the garden, and if i wake up and hes gone, im dropping those birdies :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

no fear of them taking your jr

homerhop wrote: »
    no fear of them taking your jr

Indeed - buzzards have big wings for their size, but their actual body is only a few centimeters bigger than a Rook and weighs something similiar. Any JR i know would pluck them like a chicken given half the chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

oh i wasn't planning on shooting it.. just wondering are they protected :eek: . Theyre getting a bit too close to my jack russell in the garden, and if i wake up and hes gone, im dropping those birdies :D

Good man
    Post up on a website that If a protected species takes your jack Russel that you'll shoot it
    Last thing hunting community needs is people saying they'll shoot a protected species
    1. They wouldn't attack your dog even though they look big they have small feet and a jacker would rip one to shreds but may come out badly
    2. Buzzards know their quarry and rarely attack anything out of ordinary mainly feeding on carrion and insects though as a team a Male and female will take rabbits and pheasants and pigeons by working as a team.
    Despite the small feet they are quite strong and have been seen flying off with dead fox cubs ( they didn't kill it) and other mammals that were already dead

Look not having a dog mate but tellin people on public forum that you'd shoot one if it killed your dog is asking for the antis to report it as they assume all members if hunting believe the same

In Britain there has been a few debates on culling them as there is an awful lot around Same as east of Ireland and north

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

The OP has his answer so i'm closing this thread.

Buzzards, while not endangered, are highly protected and rightly so. Any mention of shooting them, whether in jest or not, is not something we want to see. Same as discussion about a cull. Because something is not endangered does not mean a cull is in order, nor does the actions of any other country have a bearing on what is done here.

This topic was probably more suited to Nature & Bird Watching, but with the shooting aspect it was left here. However i believe the thread has run it's course, and the OP gotten his answer.

Anyone that wants to discuss it further may PM me.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement