Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unexpected Pee'ing

• 02-04-2013 7:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭

Weirdest thing just happened, me & dogs lounging on the sofa as is normal of an evening, oldest one fast asleep, Lily sitting up and sort of gazing into space (she does this sometimes), next thing she shot off the sofa, ran over to other side of the room and the corner of my expensive wool rug from Habitat, (from the days when I had a disposable income) and squatted and pee'ed, a proper long pee, I sat there in shock for a second then put her outside in the garden and tried to clean it as best I could (did I mention it's cream...!), I brought her back in again and she's fast asleep on the sofa now as normal.

She has never done this before and our routine was no different today than any other day, the only reason I could think of is that they've been outside a lot today because it's sunny, running up and down the fence barking at the cows in the field next to us and so they've drunk more water than usual, but she's never pee'ed in the house since we first got her, certainly not in the evening when we're with her.

I'm hoping it's a one off and maybe she just didn't know how to ask to go out because normally when we're in the front room in the evening they just sleep until bedtime.

Anyone got any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

My guy did this once - but he didn't get up just lay there weeing... Anyhoos took him to the vet the next morning with a sample and his wee had a really high alkaline level and there was crystals - I had been mixing in some nature's menu cans with his dry food (this back in the days when he was on dry)..stopped the NM and all good after 3 days. If you're worried and going to the vets take along a sample - i used a takeaway container lol! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Thanks tk, I'm going to monitor her, if it happens again I will take her to the vets (getting a sample should be fun!), my gut feeling at this stage is that it was a one off due to having a big old drink about half an hour before we came into the front room which she wouldn't normally do. I think maybe she just doesn't know how to ask to go out cos she never has to usually!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    Weirdest thing just happened, me & dogs lounging on the sofa as is normal of an evening, oldest one fast asleep, Lily sitting up and sort of gazing into space (she does this sometimes), next thing she shot off the sofa, ran over to other side of the room and the corner of my expensive wool rug from Habitat, (from the days when I had a disposable income) and squatted and pee'ed, a proper long pee, I sat there in shock for a second then put her outside in the garden and tried to clean it as best I could (did I mention it's cream...!), I brought her back in again and she's fast asleep on the sofa now as normal.

She has never done this before and our routine was no different today than any other day, the only reason I could think of is that they've been outside a lot today because it's sunny, running up and down the fence barking at the cows in the field next to us and so they've drunk more water than usual, but she's never pee'ed in the house since we first got her, certainly not in the evening when we're with her.

I'm hoping it's a one off and maybe she just didn't know how to ask to go out because normally when we're in the front room in the evening they just sleep until bedtime.

Anyone got any thoughts?

I would take up the rug for about a week and monitor it. They are a pain to clean if a dog has weed on it. When one of my dogs is over tired she pees in her sleep. Could this of been the problem?

Hmm, no don't think so, she wasn't asleep she was just sitting upright on the sofa like a meerkat which is quite usual for her. She's totally sparko now as per normal, I'm not sure what to do with the poor rug though, I wiped it and used white vinegar but that won't help the staining. sigh...

Hmm, no don't think so, she wasn't asleep she was just sitting upright on the sofa like a meerkat which is quite usual for her. She's totally sparko now as per normal, I'm not sure what to do with the poor rug though, I wiped it and used white vinegar but that won't help the staining. sigh...

I hire a carpet cleaner machine, especially if it was an expensive rug! It is not the staining I would worry about. If the dog still smells it they will keep going on that patch!

• Advertisement

I thought white vinegar masked the smell for them? She won't get a chance again though!!

I thought white vinegar masked the smell for them? She won't get a chance again though!!

Vinegar and biological detergent. I have labs with unbelievable noses and nothing seems to mask it for them! I also use Milton. You can buy bottles of things like "pee pee off" to get rid of it which I have also used. They smell of baby powder!

Vinegar and biological detergent. I have labs with unbelievable noses and nothing seems to mask it for them! I also use Milton. You can buy bottles of things like "pee pee off" to get rid of it which I have also used. They smell of baby powder!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Martay

biological detergent and rinse, rinse, rinse! try pet stores for pet smell odor removers or as mentioned before, hire a bissell or other carpet cleaner to ensure all up.

if issue continues, take her to the vet, could be a uti

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

is she neutered and have you noticed her water intake increased today im a bit paranoid about pyometra because i nearly lost 1 of mine to it once it was such a low grade infection i nearly missed her being sick a few weeks after being in heat

• Advertisement

jimf wrote: »
    is she neutered and have you noticed her water intake increased today im a bit paranoid about pyometra because i nearly lost 1 of mine to it once it was such a low grade infection i nearly missed her being sick a few weeks after being in heat

Oh yes she was spayed over 2 years ago, just before we got her.
    She has been back to 'normal' ever since so I'm thinking it was just a one off due to excessive exercise and therefore taking in extra fluids.

Happily the rug doesn't appear stained.

I am relieved on both counts!!

Advertisement