Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puppy injections/parvo problem

• 02-04-2013 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

Hi all,

A friend of mines family dog passed away last yr. very old dog.

Anyway they got a dog from the pound after Xmas had it for 3 days an it got sick brought to the vet and the dog had parvo had to be put down.

Anyway a family members jack Russell had pups 6 wks ago and they are planning to take one.

Original plan was bleach anywhere the old dog has been wait until the pup was fully vacinated and then take the pup.

Unfortunately a family member passed and the lady with the pups has had to take 2 young babies in and has to give out all pups this wk.

I said I might be able to take the pup for a bit (2-4wks)

My questions are
    How many vacs will pup need ?(especially with the chance of parvo)
    I thought it was 2 but I'm seeing 2-4??

What age can they be given ? For optimum immunity and also with the timetable of how long I can help them out.

Obviously I have said to them to make sure everything is bleached and watered to keep the pup away from the areas the parvo dog was for as long as possible even with the vacs.

I really want to help them out , if i could I'd hang onto the dog until it was about 18 wks, I feel bad they lost their other dogs , but I really don't want them to get a pup and kill it off with the parvo.

But they are set on it and I just want to help as much as I can.

Thanks guys

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

The usual routine is a minimum of 8 weeks old before pups get their vaccinations. A repeat vaccine will be needed 2/3 weeks after the initial one. The pup will then need to be kept inside, away from other animals etc. for at least a week, if not two, after the second vaccine. These vaccines will be an multiple vaccine dose (sometimes a 5 in 1, 9 in 1... deoending on what product the vet uses) and will cover multiple diseases.

Some people (on which I will not comment) will vaccinate pups younger than this but, due to the immunity they get from their mothers milk, there is no guarantee that the vaccine will be effective. Vaccinating pups that are younger than 8 weeks is a bad idea, as is only getting one vaccine. To ensure the pup is fully covered, two vaccines are needed and the pup must be over 8 weeks before the first one is given.

Just a note on Parvo - it is very, nearly impossible, to get rid of from an area. If the former pup was in the garden, short of digging up the grass and using raw bleach everywhere (and even this may not be extreme enough), there is likely to be Parvo still in the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

My vet recommends a stand alone parvo vacc at 6 weeks, then the ones that lorebringer has said, starting at 8 weeks, with a follow up 2-3 weeks later. You must then get the booster a year later to complete that initial set of vaccinations.

So, if the pup gets the 5 in 1 or 7 in 1 at 8 weeks, and then follow up at 10 weeks, I would leave it 2 weeks if going into a home where parvo may have been present before introducing the pup to that home. No guarantee that the pup won't still contract parvo, but if fully vaccinated, hopefully it may get ill, but will recover.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Shao

Thanks you 2 .

I thought it was 8 wks and then 10-11 wks , but as mentioned was seeing that possibly 4vacs were necessary .

I think they are being a little impatient , I personally have not been to their home since the parvo as my partner has 4 dogs 2 senior and 2 pups in his house and that it can be carried on shoes etc.

Another worrying thing is they are really not the best bunch at cleaning , the quick wipe over type :(
    And I have explained even thorough bleach cleans may not clear this.

Hopefully though if pup stays with me and gets all vacs and they super clean (which I will probably do myself) , and they use a diff area of house for pup and the other garden it will be ok, or at worst the vacs will help pup get over parvo easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 doctorbob

Hi all , my story is the same we live in north Dublin bought two puppies both female who both died within three weeks of each other due to the new strain of parvo.
    There has been a few outbreaks in Dublin this year but very little publicity on it the last outbreak was in a rescue center last month cannot name them as it would be unfair as all rescue centers do a fantastic job helping these animals that they take in.

Both our pups where treated early on signs of the virus but it took only three days for our first to die and the second female who was a stronger puppy died after five days of treatment we thought she had a chance .

There is a 80% mortality rate on this virus at the moment so if you are unsure if your puppy has it get them checked out asap.

Our vets did a great job trying to save both pups and our thanks will always be with them for their help and understanding in our heart break that we felt when we lost both of our pups .

Hope some of you have better luck if your pup catches this terrible virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 elen88

Hi guys, I took our 3 week old pups a few days ago to get micro chipped in the DSPCA and the girls recommended that I give them parvo vaccinations asap because of the parvo outbreak at the moment. Is this the right thing to do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Personally I wouldn't have taken 3 week old pups out of the house at all, especially not to somewhere with alot of other dogs. I don't know if a vet will vaccinate that early. 6 weeks is when my vet recommends the first parvo vacc for pups, then 2 weeks later for the other vaccinations, followed by the last lot 2-3 weeks after that.

If you are meticulous with your hygiene around the pups, they should be fine until they are 6 weeks old at least.

As a matter of interest, what sort of pups are they, the chip would be huge for a pup that size :(

They are staffies. Their mom and my dog go out for walks and the girl said they could bring it in.

Please talk to your vet, just because someone is trained to implant microchips does not mean they also have veterinary training. it is pointless vaccinating a pup at 3 weeks of age, but now that they may have been exposed to the parvo virus, your vet may be able to advise you on what to do.

So is the mother going out for walks, and the pups are only 3 weeks old? If she is, she could be bringing all sorts of things back from her walks. I know breeders who change their clothes completely before they go into a puppy room, in case they have brought something in from outside.

I'm sorry, I really hope the pups are well and haven't caught parvo. is the mother fully vaccinated?

Thanks for the reply.

I will contact the vet today and most likely take them all there today. The staffy was my brother's friend. His friend left the country and the staffy was pretty much homeless and my brother decided to bring her home. We wanted to offer a temporary home to her until someone suitable came along. We did not know she was pregnant and we just thought she was overweight. We were going to take her to the vet to find out what it was but she gave birth before we could take her there. She is healthy but we don't know her history. :S

Please phone the vet, don't take them in unless the vets tell you to. If you don't know whether the mother is vaccinated or not, the pups really need to be kept safe.

• Advertisement
Advertisement