Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Housing Auctions/Mortgages

Options
  • 02-04-2013 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭

This may sound ridiculous to those of you who know but

What is the procedure for getting a mortgage for a housing auction? Or can it even be done?
    Surely people who buy houses at auction havnt just got a couple of 100k lying around!

Any help/advice/questions welcome!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭killers1

newby.204 wrote: »
    This may sound ridiculous to those of you who know but

What is the procedure for getting a mortgage for a housing auction? Or can it even be done?
    Surely people who buy houses at auction havnt just got a couple of 100k lying around!

You get your survey & valuation done and have mortgage approval in place before the auction.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

A lot do

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

Stay away from auctions. So many reasons to steer clear!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

Hey makeorbrake, any chance you could elaborate??

Bit of an idiotic thing to say.

Do your homework at auctions and you'll come out a winner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

JohnCleary wrote: »

Cheers thanks, I have a budget for what I can afford to buy including any costs to fix up anything that's wrong!! There's a properties auction on the 15th May, schedule isn't out until 17th of this month, so I'll have to wait and see what's on offer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭killers1

Cheers thanks, I have a budget for what I can afford to buy including any costs to fix up anything that's wrong!! There's a properties auction on the 15th May, schedule isn't out until 17th of this month, so I'll have to wait and see what's on offer

You should be working on your mortgage approval in principle now and then you can give property details to the bank in due course if there is one in the schedule you are interested in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

Doing your homework costs money. Title has to be investigated. If it is a receiver's sale, it won't be satisfactory, so no mortgage approval. Surveys have to be done. Everything is on a take it or leave it basis. If the house goes too dear all the money is wasted. If you buy at auction and then find something wrong, tough, You can be sued.
    Auctions are for the knowledgeable and the experienced. The o/p is neither at this time.

Jo King wrote: »
    Doing your homework costs money. Title has to be investigated. If it is a receiver's sale, it won't be satisfactory, so no mortgage approval. Surveys have to be done. Everything is on a take it or leave it basis. If the house goes too dear all the money is wasted. If you buy at auction and then find something wrong, tough, You can be sued.
    Auctions are for the knowledgeable and the experienced. The o/p is neither at this time.

Who said anything about a mortgage? Why do so many people assume people must get a mortgage to buy a property? Not always the case

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

Who said anything about a mortgage? Why do so many people assume people must get a mortgage to buy a property? Not always the case
    Referring back to the OP's initial post, getting a mortgage is very much relevant.
    JohnCleary wrote:
    newby.204 wrote:
    Hey makeorbrake, any chance you could elaborate??
    Far from an idiotic thing to say. What Jo King said - backs up my assertion.

• Advertisement

Referring back to the OP's initial post, getting a mortgage is very much relevant.

Far from an idiotic thing to say. What Jo King said - backs up my assertion.

Oh lord I don't know how I initially missed the word mortgage in initial post. Please accept my apologies!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

Even if not getting a mortgage, there is a likelihood that the buyer will want to sell the property in the future to someone who does need a mortgage, Having a defective title is risky and a buyer should know what they are getting. A cash purchaser still has to check the title. Someone who is knowledgeable and experienced can take a view. Once again, the o/p is neither.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

you need to be careful but its not true that property auctions are only for the experienced.

Advertisement