Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Expressing only?

• 02-04-2013 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi All,
    Just wondering has any done or thought about expressing only? I was thinking about doing this but the midwife in the partenting classes thought it was unusal. I amn't comfortable with the thought of feeding from the breast but still want my baby to get all the goodness that breast milk provides. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

I know a few people who expressed full time, not by choice but because they had to, and it's not the easiest thing to do. It's not recommended you express for the first 6 weeks in order to build up your supply as babs will feed every 2-4 hours and cluster feed during that time. So if your expressing you will need to express that often and then feed after you've expressed. I can understand the reluctance to breastfeed: our culture just isn't to breastfeed and I think if you feel you can't feed, the decision to express full time is definitely the next best option: and I firmly believe what's best for mum is best for baby. I wonder would you consider heading to a local bfeeding/la leche/ cuidiu group to see how other people find it? Or would using nipple shields where baby doesn't latch onto your nipple but onto the shield make you feel more comfortable for the first few weeks and express full time then?

While it is an unusual decision, it's your decision and I'm a big fan of the every feed counts school of thinking :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

to be honest, I really wouldn't bother. If the formula wasn't good enough it wouldn't be on the market. I breastfed by the way - however, I did express if I wanted a glass of wine or was out etc. However, I find the main benefits of BF is the lack of bottles and sterilising etc and if you express only you'll have to do all of that so for me it would take one of the main benefits away from choosing to BF.

If BF isn't for you - then don't do it. There's enough guilt in motherhood without giving yourself some more. My 2 children (and my 3rd in June - all going well) were breastfed whilst some of my nieces and nephews weren't - did it make any difference - did it heck!

good luck with everything.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

It's incredibly hard to keep your supply up with the pump alone. Even if you leave it on for ages after the breast is empty, it doesn't stimulate further supply in the same way a baby suckling would. It's also incredibly undignified (well I found it so!).

I pumped enough for one feed a day from week 2 to 14 when I stopped breastfeeding. And even then I used to have to swap around the time of day I'd express to keep my supply up.

When I stopped breastfeeding, I kept expressing whenever my breasts were full and it only took 2 days for them to stop filling and the threat of engorgement passed.

You'd also need a very heavy duty double pump. (These can be rented or bought).

TBH, I can't imagine having to pump all the time and have to keep bottles sterilised and ready.

This time my intention is to try laid back breastfeeding, but if it's not working after the colostrum stage, I'm not going to torture myself like I did last time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Op exclusively pumping is definiteky not the easiest option to choose and you'll be doubling the workload for yourself. If you want to give your baby breastnilk then consider going to your local la Leche league or Cuidiu meetings where you'll meet other mums. Go before you have the baby so you have some idea off what's involved.

There's very few of us who were automatically comfortable with the idea of feeding from the breast. Irish culture isn't exactly open and embracing of breastfeeding. Take it in small steps but open your mind to the process of breastfeeding rather than pumping. It's quite daunting but if you go to LLL or Cuidiu meetings and surround yourself with other breastfeeding mums the process will be normalized and won't seem so strange.

If you're still not able up do that then you'll have to rent a hospital grade pump because an ordinary one won't be strong enough. Some women have expressed exclusively but it's usually for health reasons. It really takes a lot of commitment and effort as it is additional work and it takes away from the easy aspect of breastfeeding (once the first 8 weeks or so are over).

Anyway the best of luck whatever way you choose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

I'm breastfeeding my 14 month old still :) I pumped a bit and god it was a pain in the arse I couldn't even imagine doing it all the time. Is there a particular reason you are uncomfortable with the idea of baby on the breast? I would say don't worry too much about deciding whether to pump or put baby on the breast when your baby arrives you might feel totally different. I would try to latch baby on for the 1st few feeds and see how you feel, you can't really make a decision until you've tried and know what it's like and trust me its the most amazing feeling in the world :)
    The main benefit of breastfeeding is that it is tailored to what your baby needs at that time be it antibodies to help fight any infection they might have picked up or extra fatty milk during a growth spurt. Your body an only tailor milk in this way if your baby is taking it from the breast and passing on info on what it needs.
    I would defo go to a le leche meetin lg while your pregnant even just for a chat and to see some other mums nurse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 mrsnib

Thanks for the replies, just trying to see if it was visable option. Thanks for all the imput, prob just wait see what happens and see how I feel when baby comes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

mrsnib wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies, just trying to see if it was visable option. Thanks for all the imput, prob just wait see what happens and see how I feel when baby comes.

I'm normally very prudish and thought I would struggle with the feeding - but just wait and see how u feel after the baby arrives as it the experience does change your perception - I'm not saying you'll want to but I did and I didn't expect to. I didn't feel weird about it like I thought I would - and even tho I did it for 14 weeks I kinda don't remember doing it... Weird I know but I remember obviously doing it but not how it felt etc. I just think that if you express all the time it takes twice as long to feed the baby - you have to express the milk and then still feed the baby. I expressed once each day and was lucky enough to have enough milk that that supply would do one bottle. I know that I was lucky to have a lot of milk. I used shields because my baby couldn't latch and actually it did make it less of a close feeling.. Which ended up being a huge disadvantage and sorrow to me. I really want to try it again this time and despite my first time reservations I'd love to do it for longer and without the shields.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

I had to express only as after many attempts, he did not latch. It is tiring, since you have to express, then feed and until your milk comes in properly that means late nights of an hour to do an half hour job. But to each their own, don't do or not do something just because others think it unusual. Just remember, if you are doing it, get a good pump and express regularly. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 503 ✭✭✭aniascor

Expressing full time can definitely be done. You just have to make sure that you pump regularly through the night as well as during the day. I'm the beginning it will be very hard until you get 1-2 feeds ahead of your baby. Once you have the backup of those extra feeds available if he or she wakes early or looks for an extra feed you're fine. If you really want to pump full time, you may want to invest in a double electric pump. Although that being said I've always found it easier to express using a manual pump.

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

I think its double the work-Breastfeeding+bottles/sterilising/pumping.

You are tied up enough with feeding and burping the baby in my opinion, without adding in pumping to it too. I used to have to pump about 8oz a day to add Colief drops to an ounce of breast milk before putting baby on the breast each feed and it was so time consuming. I also found that baby was gentler on my breast than the pump. I was so glad when I could ditch the pumping. But, you have to do whatever YOU feel is easiest and best for you. If one method doesn't work out, don't give yourself a hard time over it.

Your perception of your boobs does change after you have the baby, I would never though I would (discreetly) breastfeed in front of certain people, but I did without thinking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭mrsberries

I pumped for 4 months as my baba wouldnt latch and I was hellbent on getting some breast milk into her. Had to supplement with one bottle of formula as I couldnt keep up (unless I got up and pumped during the night!) It was hard work what with cleaning bottles and being tied to the house every few hours to pump but it worked out for us as a family as my husband worked nights and he got the help out feeding the bottles which meant added rest for me. Im due again in June but hope to breastfeed from the breast this time.
    OP do whatever feels right for you and best of luck with everything :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Hobbitfeet wrote: »
    Your body an only tailor milk in this way if your baby is taking it from the breast and passing on info on what it needs.

Is this true? The baby passes information on somehow? How is this achieved? By what mechanism does the baby tell the mothers body, what's required. This sounds like nonsense to me. Got any links to back this up? I couldn't find anything after a quick search.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭missis aggie

Dr. Loon wrote: »
    Is this true? The baby passes information on somehow? How is this achieved? By what mechanism does the baby tell the mothers body, what's required. This sounds like nonsense to me. Got any links to back this up? I couldn't find anything after a quick search.

http://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastfeed/illness-surgery/baby-illness/
    This is one of the examples that breast milk is tailored to baby's need. Baby passes that info when sucking on the breast. Just type how breastfeeding works in Google and you will get plenty of info. Its certainly not a nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭xalot

Dr. Loon wrote: »

http://americanpregnancy.org/firstyearoflife/whatsinbreastmilk.html
    the most basic of research tells you that breast feeding is best nutritionally for a newborn - to quote from the article "Breast milk has the perfect combination of proteins, fats, vitamins, and carbohydrates. There is nothing better for the health of your baby. Leukocytes are living cells that are only found in breast milk. They help fight infection. It is the antibodies, living cells, enzymes, and hormones that make breast milk ideal. These cannot be added to formula. "

OP, I plan to breast and express as I'm also uncomfortable with breast feeding in public. My advice would be to give it a try and if it doesn't work for you then dont beat yourself up about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭KCC

I don't understand why you would feel uncomfortable feeding from the breast? I'm sure you won't really know until you try. It's what they are for after all! Formula is a relatively new invention!

I have exclusively pumped and found it just awful. I lasted a month. I had no real choice as breastfeeding just didn't work (flat nipples!) but I really thought it was important that my baby get breastmilk for as long as I could manage it.

I had to pump every three hours, including at night and each time it took about 40 minutes, after which I had to wash and sterilise the attachments. Bear in mind I also had to feed and change the baby every three hours, which took almost an hour each time. I was so sleep deprived and I think I missed out on a lot of bonding with him during that time.

Also bear in mind you can easily breastfeed discreetly in front of people but there is no discreet or any way that I would pump in front of anyone other than my husband or else perhaps a midwife/public health nurse. It's so not elegant! This meant I was so tied to the house and given all the visitors, to my bedroom - I began to resent that so much!

To get the right pump for exclusive pumping, you would need to rent a hospital grade one which I think cost me about €90 a month.

I'm glad my baby got the good stuff for at least a while, but it came at a physical, emotional and financial cost. I'm pregnant again now and don't know if I could do it again. I'm going to have to figure out another way of making breastfeeding work or else just formula-feed without guilt!

In sum, if I had any choice at all, I would not exclusively pump.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭MoonDancer

KCC wrote: »
    I don't understand why you would feel uncomfortable feeding from the breast? I'm sure you won't really know until you try. It's what they are for after all! Formula is a relatively new invention!

I have exclusively pumped and found it just awful. I lasted a month. I had no real choice as breastfeeding just didn't work (flat nipples!) but I really thought it was important that my baby get breastmilk for as long as I could manage it.

I had to pump every three hours, including at night and each time it took about 40 minutes, after which I had to wash and sterilise the attachments. Bear in mind I also had to feed and change the baby every three hours, which took almost an hour each time. I was so sleep deprived and I think I missed out on a lot of bonding with him during that time.

Also bear in mind you can easily breastfeed discreetly in front of people but there is no discreet or any way that I would pump in front of anyone other than my husband or else perhaps a midwife/public health nurse. It's so not elegant! This meant I was so tied to the house and given all the visitors, to my bedroom - I began to resent that so much!

To get the right pump for exclusive pumping, you would need to rent a hospital grade one which I think cost me about €90 a month.

I'm glad my baby got the good stuff for at least a while, but it came at a physical, emotional and financial cost. I'm pregnant again now and don't know if I could do it again. I'm going to have to figure out another way of making breastfeeding work or else just formula-feed without guilt!

In sum, if I had any choice at all, I would not exclusively pump.
    Have you not tried a nipple shield? I used one for my first as I had flat nipples and the baby couldn't latch on, I tried the nipple shield and the baby latched on right away. I breastfed for 1 year, and for both of my kids. It really saved the day for me.

Wow KCC fair play to you, you should be proud. I only pumped a bit but found it embarrassing too I wouldn't pump around my dp, I hated it the noise and this thing attached to me then I would get feck all milk. Congrats on you lo on the way. Have you been to a le leche Leauge meeting? I would recommend going while pregnant if you can, you'll get some great advice and tips on how to over come the flat nips.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭KCC

MoonDancer wrote: »
    Have you not tried a nipple shield? I used one for my first as I had flat nipples and the baby couldn't latch on, I tried the nipple shield and the baby latched on right away. I breastfed for 1 year, and for both of my kids. It really saved the day for me.

Yes, tried and failed. By the time I realised I needed them (three days later when the lactation nurse came in), baby got frustrated every time I put him near me. I know better now though and I'll bring them to the hospital with me next time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

MoonDancer wrote: »

This is an interesting thread, I'm pregnant on my 1st and would like to breastfeed, but I have one flat/inverted nipple and they are both quite small. (Don't know if that makes a difference) I'll definitely go to la leche league and/or breastfeeding classes well in advance of the birth. I'm fairly clueless so it'll be good to talk it through with someone first. (Nipple shields on the shopping list!)

I never knew you could go to La Leshe before the baby was born. 6 weeks expressing was exhausting and I want to try again with this baby. Googling my closest one asap!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    I never knew you could go to La Leshe before the baby was born. 6 weeks expressing was exhausting and I want to try again with this baby. Googling my closest one asap!!!!

Going to a lll meeting or similar (friends of Breastfeeding, cuidiu... Whatever support network is near you) would be my absolute number 1 tip for mamas to be, I really think having your support network started up before baby arrives makes it sooo much easier afterwards.
    Friendsofbreastfeeding.ie have a comprehensive list of groups all around the country :)

liliq wrote: »
    Going to a lll meeting or similar (friends of Breastfeeding, cuidiu... Whatever support network is near you) would be my absolute number 1 tip for mamas to be, I really think having your support network started up before baby arrives makes it sooo much easier afterwards.
    Friendsofbreastfeeding.ie have a comprehensive list of groups all around the country :)

I felt so alone with no1. Like I failed, and after 6 weeks I dried up. I may not do better this time, but knowing how to prepare myself alone is definitely a step up from last time.

I checked that site, it says the local PHN every Monday. Is that the same, is it like a group?

Ladies I'm breastfeeding my second and i can't stress enough how important it is to have a good support network.

We've definitely had a bumpy start to breastfeeding this time around and I'm only still doing it because I could pick the phone up and ask someone for advice.

I nearly lost my sanity over the weekend and contemplated buying formula as I was a nervous and physical wreck. Having someone tell you you're doing a fantastic job is invaluable.

So definitely reach out to whatever organization is nearest you and don't forget to pick the phone up on the day when you think you just can't take anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭MoonDancer

I just visited a friend today who had her baby yesterday. She wants to breastfeed her baby, but she is giving the baby a bottle of formula because she said her milk isn't in yet. I am well aware her milk won't be in until about 1 week.
    I breastfed both my kids until they were 1 year old. My god, is there not any education for women in the hospital who want to breastfeed?
    I had to tell her all about the benefits of breastfeeding from day one, and not to use the bottle until after breastfeeding is established to avoid nipple confusion, and how precious colostrum is for the baby in those first few days. She didn't realise she could feed her baby before her milk came in, no one in the hospital told her.
    It upsets me at the lack of support women have when it comes to breastfeeding.
    The La Leche League seems to be the only way to go for you mothers that need support breastfeeding.

If that really happened then she should complain. We can't expect things to change if people don't complain

http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/ysys/Tell_us_your_story/Complaint/

And to Siobhan Hourigan, the hse bf coordinator at Siobhan.hourigan@hse.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

Wolfpawnat the phn groups are different depending on what area you're in.
    If you want to pm me roughly where you are I can try find a good group for you. There are a good few informal groups around as well :)

I agree with how strange, she really must make a complaint and also keep following it up to ensure something is done

Advertisement