Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BC Drivers License back to Irish Query

Options
  • 02-04-2013 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi, I'm hoping someone here might be able to shine some light on this for me. I've been accepted onto IEC 2013 and am going to Vancouver in the Autumn. When I arrive there I hope to buy a car and get a British Columbian driver's license. At the moment I'm living in London (have been here for the last 2 years) and my plan is to exchange my current Irish license for a UK one enabling me to do a straight swap for a BC one when I arrive in Vancouver hopefully avoiding having to sit a driving test.

http://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing/moving-bc/moving-dl/most-countries

What I'm worried about is when I return to Ireland in 2 years time will I be able to retrieve my Irish license (I passed my test in 2009) or will I need to retake the test?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭fergusb

I thought there was something which meant you had to have a license for 2 years to convert it. http://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing/moving-bc/moving-dl/most-countries

I'm not sure if they would accept that you had an Irish License for 2 years and then a UK license for 6 months.

In terms of getting your Irish license back, from what I was told, you can get your Irish License back easily as long as the original license is still in date (so before 2019). After then, you would have to re-sit the test again.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭rusheen

GirlSans wrote: »
    Hi, I'm hoping someone here might be able to shine some light on this for me. I've been accepted onto IEC 2013 and am going to Vancouver in the Autumn. When I arrive there I hope to buy a car and get a British Columbian driver's license. At the moment I'm living in London (have been here for the last 2 years) and my plan is to exchange my current Irish license for a UK one enabling me to do a straight swap for a BC one when I arrive in Vancouver hopefully avoiding having to sit a driving test.

http://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing/moving-bc/moving-dl/most-countries

What I'm worried about is when I return to Ireland in 2 years time will I be able to retrieve my Irish license (I passed my test in 2009) or will I need to retake the test?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

No you wont have to redo your test in ireland.

If you "lose" your license in ireland ,providing its still valid, is go to your local motor tax office with a small fee, I think e10 and two passport pics and ask them for a replacement. pretty straight forward.

I would get your UK license ASAP . You want to show the BC authorities you have UK license for a while and say you actually drove in the UK .
    Apparently they have coped on to people just exchanging their irish one for UK as a way for bypassing the test here.
    But seeing as you actually haved lived in London your more genuine .

Also no harm in getting a international driving permit from the AA .

Advertisement