Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vets not putting pets to sleep?

• 02-04-2013 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7 Altezza Phoenix

Hello

Just wondering if anyone has heard of vets taking money to put your pet down (perfectly healthy animal, you just can't care for it anymore but don't want it rehoused for fear of it getting abused or mistreated or ending up homeless) but actually then contacting an animal welfare homing charity and giving the animal to them.

I had my two cats put too sleep( one of the hardest things I've had to do) but I felt it was the best option for them after my circumstances had changed. And the vet wouldn't alow me to be with them, told me they didn't let people stay with cats to be put to sleep. But the other day I found out that a friend had her cat put to sleep because she was very sick and the same vet let her stay!

And I've seen first hand with animal groups online with Facebook put up saying we had a vet ring us today to save this dog or cat after had owner had left it to be put to sleep.

Can anyone help or ha anyone experienced this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

don't know if they can do it, but fair play to them if they do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

I don't know but I wouldn't blame them, I'd applaud them in fact. I can't understand the mindset of someone who would rather kill their pets than put in the effort of rehoming them responsibly?
    In some countries it's not even legal to put a healthy, non-violent animal down if the owner brings them in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

ISDW wrote: »

not if they charge the owner for putting them to sleep.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Honestly, yes it does happen, I recently took four 3 day old kittens that were brought into the vet to be put to sleep. Not sure of the ethics or anything behind it but yeah it does happen.

PucaMama wrote: »

I've heard that they use that money to feed/house the animal til it has a new home

• Advertisement

mhge wrote: »
    I don't know but I wouldn't blame them, I'd applaud them in fact. I can't understand the mindset of someone who would rather kill their pets than put in the effort of rehoming them responsibly?
    In some countries it's not even legal to put a healthy, non-violent animal down if the owner brings them in.

better than the animals being dumped or left to starve.

Well they want to get rid so they receive this service?
    better than the animals being dumped or left to starve.

It's a false dichotomy though.

I've heard that they use that money to feed/house the animal til it has a new home

they should just be honest about it

Beats "I can't take care of them so kill them" all right

Sometimes it's not that easy, like in one case I know the vet asked the owner if he wanted to stay with the dog, to which he replied "just get rid of the effing Cnut". So they did, but rehomed her. Didn't make a blind bit of difference to the owner what happened her, and the fee went to treating a very treatable condition that she had

• Advertisement

mhge wrote: »
    Well they want to get rid so they receive this service?

It's a false dichotomy though.

id prefer an animal to pass away peacefully tho than suffer neglect

In my naivety I'd like to think they use the money to spay/neuter, vaccinate the animal etc.

I'm guessing the owners would then go elsewhere to find a vet who would kill their healthy pet. the op stated they didn't want their cats rehomed, they wanted them killed, so if the vet had said we will rehome the, I'm sure they just would have gone elsewhere.

id prefer an animal to pass away peacefully tho than suffer neglect

And there's your false dichotomy. There's plenty of options apart from these two...

Sometimes it's not that easy, like in one case I know the vet asked the owner if he wanted to stay with the dog, to which he replied "just get rid of the effing Cnut". So they did, but rehomed her. Didn't make a blind bit of difference to the owner what happened her, and the fee went to treating a very treatable condition that she had

yeah i no the type unfortunately :mad:

In my naivety I'd like to think they use the money to spay/neuter, vaccinate the animal etc.

I'm guessing the owners would then go elsewhere to find a vet who would kill their healthy pet. the op stated they didn't want their cats rehomed, they wanted them killed, so if the vet had said we will rehome the, I'm sure they just would have gone elsewhere.

true :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I know somebody who got a rescue dog that had been brought to be pts.. Owners toddler stood or did something to the pup and broke his leg - so they took him to be pts because they wouldn't be able to show him!!:mad: Vet fixed up the leg and he was rehomed. Poor dog is terrified of kids :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Altezza Phoenix

I've seen animal cruelty first hand.

And I loved my cats it killed me o put them to sleep. But I couldn't bare the though of them being rehoused and getting abused and neglected, I don't care that homes get checked beforehand, no one knows what's goes on behind closed doors!

I chose to have my cats to be put to sleep because I felt it was the right decision.
    My vet charged me 100 euro.if they are doing this people have a right to know!

It kill's me to think that my too cats could still be out their somewhere freezing and cold! Their is no no guarantee that they went to a good home!

How many places do a follow p every year or every 3 years to ensure the welfare of the animal. And don't get me wrong I think rehoneing charities do great work! But this is wrong!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

There are vets that will not put down healthy animals and will urge people to either rehome them, offer to put a notice up that there is an animal in need of a home in their clinic or in some cases, where vets do work with shelters, they will offer to just bring them there, though they are under no legal obligation to. HOWEVER as dodgy as some vets are (and there are a few) it is not legal for them to charge a person to put down an animal and then rehome it. Vets provide a service, they don't do said service, they should not charge for it. But as I said, some vets are shady characters.

I would applaud a vet for not putting down a healthy animal, but it is not right for them to charge for it.

And I loved my cats it killed me o put them to sleep.

Nope, it killed them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Rabbo

You sound paranoid.
    I'm sure the vast majority of pets are taken care of properly.

Why didn't you put a little effort in to find them a home yourself?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

I've seen animal cruelty first hand.

And I loved my cats it killed me o put them to sleep. But I couldn't bare the though of them being rehoused and getting abused and neglected, I don't care that homes get checked beforehand, no one knows what's goes on behind closed doors!

I chose to have my cats to be put to sleep because I felt it was the right decision.
    My vet charged me 100 euro.if they are doing this people have a right to know!

It kill's me to think that my too cats could still be out their somewhere freezing and cold! Their is no no guarantee that they went to a good home!

How many places do a follow p every year or every 3 years to ensure the welfare of the animal. And don't get me wrong I think rehoneing charities do great work! But this is wrong!

Do you think your vet has done this?

To be honest I find your attitude very odd, you say you loved your cats yet you chose to have them killed rather than try and find a loving home for them, did you even try? There are plenty of good loving homes out there for cats and dogs, of course there are plenty of bad ones too but it's not difficult to do some homechecking and chatting to potential owners and getting a feel for people, if you have doubts you walk away, simple really. I would rather do that than get my pets killed because I couldn't care for them anymore. My cat was brought into the vets with her siblings to be pts, luckily the vet didn't do it, I don't know if he charged them but he spayed the two females and only charged me 50 euro for them both including the spay, believe me they fell on their paws when they came to live with us!!

Nope, it killed them.

Technically it didn't, I believe my vet reformed them!

I am an animal lover! Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I know putting an animal should be the last option but every1 has different situations.
    Please don't judge when you don't understand.

July 17th 2011 is when I took my cats to be put to sleep and not a day has gone by when I don't think about them and miss them.

Technically it didn't, I believe my vet reformed them!

I am an animal lover! Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I know putting an animal should be the last option but every1 has different situations.
    Please don't judge when you don't understand.

July 17th 2011 is when I took my cats to be put to sleep and not a day has gone by when I don't think about them and miss them.

Your vet reformed them? Were they very naughty?

Oh I understand perfectly thank you :D

I wouldn't judge you harshly at all if your circumstances changed so much that you couldn't keep your beloved pets, and you found them nice, loving new homes. But thats not what happened.

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    Do you think your vet has done this?

To be honest I find your attitude very odd, you say you loved your cats yet you chose to have them killed rather than try and find a loving home for them, did you even try? There are plenty of good loving homes out there for cats and dogs, of course there are plenty of bad ones too but it's not difficult to do some homechecking and chatting to potential owners and getting a feel for people, if you have doubts you walk away, simple really. I would rather do that than get my pets killed because I couldn't care for them anymore. My cat was brought into the vets with her siblings to be pts, luckily the vet didn't do it, I don't know if he charged them but he spayed the two females and only charged me 50 euro for them both including the spay, believe me they fell on their paws when they came to live with us!!

Yes I looked at loads of options before I made this decision, but I am not going to try and justify myself on hear.

Putting them to sleep was the only option left.

I have read countless story's online about animals being rehomed to good homes only for the welfare group to return on a home check/visit and the people saying the dog/cat had simply run away. Many of the cats were supposed to be in strictly indoor homes only!

I can't see how a responsible animal owner wouldn't make the decision to put an Animal to sleep instead of never knowing if the animal is safe is warm is feed is happy is protected!

I can't see how a responsible animal owner wouldn't make the decision to put an Animal to sleep instead of never knowing if the animal is safe is warm is feed is happy is protected!

You can value you fears over your pets' lives, of course. But if at the same time you call yourself an animal lover it sounds very much like "I'm not a racist but" :o

Look I'm not getting in to a fight over this.
    I'm new to boards and wanted to get some information about this topic.
    I didn't post it to offended anyone.
    Everyone has different circumstances
    I am a responsible pet owner who fosters as well.
    And I'm shocked by some of the small mindlessness of people on hear. I asked a question for help and all some people seen was murder.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭fredweena

Local vet down our way said that my neighbours dog unfortunately had died while it was in the vets and that they had cremated it. Few days later the dog was found wandering around the town. The dog had gotten away and he said it died to cover up. Don't know how he thought he'd get away with it. On the subject of putting animals down, if you tell the vet to put down an animal and he says he will and then doesn't then that is wrong. He can always refuse. Under the law the animal is yours and i'm sure that if the vet was reported he'd be in big trouble. (Moral issues aside). It's not his job to judge. There was a thread similar to this on the equine forum about someone wanting to take an animal from a factory to rescue and nearly everyone saying they'd be pretty angry if they found out that their horse was taken in this way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

Erm let me get this straight - you foster, are a pet owner (you say are not were so I assume you still have some pets) yet you believe that killing a healthy animal is better than rehoming??? Are you for real? Nothing, absolutely nothing responsible about that attitude. Selfish more like. If you were that responsible you would have carefully considered your situation, capacity to own a pet for the duration of it's life and then made a decision not to take a pet as you could not guarantee it a home for life. But instead you took TWO cats and then had them killed when your circumstances changed. Quite frankly I am appalled. And yes I am judging you as is my choice to do so. That is my opinion on it whether you like it or not I really don't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭sarah101

Look I'm not getting in to a fight over this.
    I'm new to boards and wanted to get some information about this topic.
    I didn't post it to offended anyone.
    Everyone has different circumstances
    And I'm shocked by some of the small mindlessness of people on hear. I asked a question for help and all some people seen was murder.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Who do you foster for? An Animal charity? A group who rehome animals? You are full of contradictions. If you foster then you must have contacts within the animal rehoming sector who wouold have helped you find homes for your cats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

So you couldn't take care of your cats, had them killed, but now you foster animals?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement