Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vets not putting pets to sleep?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

fredweena wrote: »
    Under the law the animal is yours and i'm sure that if the vet was reported he'd be in big trouble. (Moral issues aside). It's not his job to judge.

I think you will find that a lot of the time when you go in to have a healthy animal pts in fact you will be asked if you are surrendering the animal and giving permission to have it pts. You then sign a surrender form. Once surrendered it's not your say what happens.

And of cours a vet has the right to judge if they wish to. There is no obligation on them to put their morals aside and kill a perfectly healthy animal just because it has become inconvenient for its owner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

So you couldn't take care of your cats, had them killed, but now you foster animals?

And you couldn't bear the thought of living in fear of what may have happened to them, but you suffer every day since so how is it better?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

And the vet wouldn't alow me to be with them, told me they didn't let people stay with cats to be put to sleep. But the other day I found out that a friend had her cat put to sleep because she was very sick and the same vet let her stay!

The reason being that healthy cats do not go gently into that good night, and the vet most likely wanted to spare you the added trauma of seeing your cats struggle against the restraint for intravenous injection.

Your friend's cat was very sick, very weak and therefore would have passed more peacefully so it would have been a comfort to the owner to be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Frere Jacques

I've posted on a similar thread before. My wife was asked to put a kitten down almost 10 years ago now. The woman with the kitten said their kid was sick of it and she didn't want it around the house. My wife wasn't in charge of the admin side but I'd be pretty sure the woman was charged the cash. Long story short she brought Ella home, six weeks later she brought Louis home who was also only a few weeks old and found at the side of the road in a bin liner.
    Ten years later we have two very very well pampered cats who sleep on the end of the bed in the winter and demand to get their heads scratched every evening. I'm so glad that moron dropped Ella in to be destroyed as she has brought a smile to my face every day for years.
    As a relevant aside, the first thing my wife did was neuter the cats as two was our limit. If you have a pet be responsible about it. If you don't want them then enquire about rehoming. You might find a friend of a friend to take them. If you live your life thinking everyone is a monster, then you have issues you should look into.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Con Logue

A sick animal in pain with no chance of recovery, I can understand. Bringing a healthy cat or dog to a vet and paying them to kill the animal, that's just disgraceful.

Can we bin this "put to sleep" nonsense and call it what it is, killing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

If anyone needs explaining why this thread is being locked PM me. It's now nothing but nasty comments towards the OP and no longer serves a purpose.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement