Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tips on re-house training.

• 02-04-2013 9:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I got a beautiful 6 year old boxer from an animal shelter yesterday. They said that she may or may not of been house trained but judging on how she is acting in the house I would say she was trained before.
    She was there for 2months. How would I go about retraining? Is it ok to lift her water at night? How long before bed should I do it?
    Also would it be better to take her to bed with me so I can hear her at night if she needs to get out? Or should I leave her downstairs? She goes into the kitchen to pee, she hasn't pooped yet in the house.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

I would just treat her like a puppy, outside after every meal, when she wakes up and before bed, and lots and lots of praise for going outside. Personally I like dogs to have access to water all the time, but some people do take it away at night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

Yeah she is giving some signs that she wants to go so there has only been two accidents so far. Would like her to be able to hold it in overnight(8hrs)though, my other dogs will sleep for 10+ without needing to go! She is going about every 2-3 hours

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

New dogs will often pee in a new home due to lack of familiarity with where she is and where she *meant* to go, and they'll often pee more than normal due to anxiety. So, be patient with her, and as ISDW said, bring her back to basics and treat her as you would a pup, though adult dogs tend to "get it" quicker than pups.
    If she's not improving, you'll need to start wondering is there something else going on: a UTI, for example, or if she's not spayed, pyometra, or is she coming into heat? So, if you don't see things getting better in a few days, a trip to the vet is in order.
    Good luck with her!

Advertisement